Energy Flash 2008

labrat

hot on the heels of love
thanks for that....
bet i've read the updated bits on this here internet.
thought he'd do little afterthoughts like in Bring The Noise.

nomos

Administrator
probably a better deal for us north americans who didn't get the full version the first time. generation ecstasy was missing the chapter on pirate radio and i don't know what else. i don't understand why they pare down his books for sale over here.

nomos

Administrator
oh ok. i wonder what the logic behind that is supposed to be. i think the north american version of rip it up is missing the chapter on american bands.

gumdrops

whats the point of a new expanded edition unless theres going to be proper new chapters on whats happened since then?

Benny Bunter

whats the point of a new expanded edition unless theres going to be proper new chapters on whats happened since then?

To be fair there's excellent new chapters on UK garage and micro-house etc.

Grime doesn't get much of a look in, Reynolds seems to think that it falls outside the book's parameters. Which did seem strange to me considering the book is based around Hardcore in its various guises. Grime's about as hardcore a scene as it gets for me.

As for the lack of discography, thats apparently going to appear on a blog so you can't really complain there can you? I've just read the book for the first time and was blown away by it, but I can see why those who've read it before might be a little underwhelmed by the new additions. But bloody hell, what a great book...

continuum

smugpolice
I've never read this (shock, horror). Tried to find it a while back but was unavailable. Been looking forward to it being re-released. Hopefully purchase tomorrow

bassnation

the abyss

yeah seems to be some revisionism going on here. i remember reading acres of verbiage from reynolds on grime being the successor and descendent from hardcore, so what gives with its minor little footnote? like, who cares about microhouse? its just old now and wasn't even that interesting at the time. would much rather read a chapter on grime in its place. one day someone will write a book on it.

djnaphta

Whatever he may have ascribed to it initially, for me, Grime stands apart by its intense concentration on the vocal content.

Further, while people may (obviously) dance to it, it doesn't strike me as motivated first and foremost by a desire to make people dance.

bassnation

the abyss
Whatever he may have ascribed to it initially, for me, Grime stands apart by its intense concentration on the vocal content.

Further, while people may (obviously) dance to it, it doesn't strike me as motivated first and foremost by a desire to make people dance.

well, if the latter is the criteria microhouse should still be out as thats hardly designed to make people dance either. criteria like this is too arbitary for me - theres some mega funky angular grime and theres lots of rhythms without vox too (see that bok bok blogariddims for a good example of a peak time danceable grime mix). the vocals are firmly in the rave chatting tradition, its totally developed from that. at its best grime is rave music, which is why it deserves a more thorough treatment.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
To be fair (a phrase that's getting a lot of usage in this thread...), the original book didn't only cover 'nuum music - there were chapters on IDM, trip-hop etc

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
What was the electroclash chapter like... and what's it doing there? Hardly nuum material is it?
There was lots of stuff in the original - that wasn't part of the nuum, either - the American stuff, for starters, plus glitch, neo-Detroit, trip hop, the free party stuff... (edit: snap!)

Anyway, I thought we'd decided that the use of the nuum as an organizing principle was getting less relevant by that point.

I'd be interested to read what he has to say on the subject, though.

bassnation

the abyss
To be fair (a phrase that's getting a lot of usage in this thread...), the original book didn't only cover 'nuum music - there were chapters on IDM, trip-hop etc

yeah and those genres were relevant in some way, even if you didn't particularly like them.

but microhouse was of very limited interest to the most boring of producers, djs and floors if you ask me. its already forgotten, for most lucky people. seems to me some people would like to forget they ever championed grime, lets be honest.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
but microhouse was of very limited interest to the most boring of producers, djs and floors if you ask me. its already forgotten, for most lucky people.
It kind of fed into the whole mnml thing though. To be honest, I wouldn't want to pass judgement on it without reading what he has to say first...

seems to me some people would like to forget they ever championed grime, lets be honest.
Yeah. Part of me wonders whether there's some thought-povoking reason for the implication that microhouse is more relevant than grime, and part of me wonders whether there was pressure from publishers who buy into the 'grime is a creative dead end' line and think that too much focus on it might damage sales, but part of me wonders whether living in the US and hearing stuff on the internet is really an ideal vantage point for figuring out what's actually going on in UK dance music...

Actually, I'm still wondering if Reynolds / K-Punk / anyone else is going to respond to the recent nuum bashing around here and on the blogs.

gumdrops

i bet if this new edition had come out in 2005/06 there would have been a nice lengthy chapter on grime. but cos his enthusiasm/belief in it has gone down the toilet since, it only gets a measly/miserly 2 pages.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Simon should write a BOOK on grime. It's the most important British musical movement since rave itself. And it still rocks.

I guess it leaves the field open for Simon Silverdollar :). (Blackdown will be too busy doing music, I hope!)

DJ PIMP

Oh snap, its been a long time since I read the original.

I'll always give props to the Reynolds for putting me onto Acardipane. I'd love to see some of his more cold-wave tracks get remixed by Markus Lange, Bodzin, Rother, Xenia Beliayeva...