Deep reggae like 'Heart of the Congos'....

viktorvaughn

I am not a reggae buff at all but I can't get enough of this at the moment. I love the disembodied chanting bits. What else is along similar mournful, mystical, meditative lines? Ta.

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
I suppose it's the Lee Perry production that makes it what it is, in which case look for a cheap second-hand copy of the 3CD Arkology set - by no means definitive but a good place to start as any.

crackerjack

Heart Of The Congos may well be the best reggae album ever made, but Abyssinians are the most obvious comparison - Forward to Zion is their classic.

If you want to go really deep into "the disembodied chanting bits" try http://www.reggae-reviews.com/countossie.html - it's not really my bag, but those who love the nyabinghi thing swear by it.

STN

sou'wester
I'm always up for Rastafari Dub, by Ras Michael and the Sons of Negus. The vocal LP is a bit wearing...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Dubbin' and Wailin' by the Velvet Shadows (and King Tubby?) is a monster of a track in a similar vein.

More far-flung suggestions: Would presume some Haitian vodou field recordings woudl hit a similar spot (maybe I'm wrong)? And Dr John's 'Gris Gris' does disembodied vocals to perfection, albeit in a bayou setting.

STN

sou'wester
King Tubby meets the Morwells.

Scientist rids the world of the evil curse of blah blah blah di blah and the attendant Wailing Souls vocal cuts.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
jack ruby productions- burning spear, TSOSA etc.

the deeper wackies releases

light of saba

STN

sou'wester
That Yabby You box set that came out on Blood and Fire years ago should see you right too - lots of disembodied, rumbling chants there...

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Check out some Keith Hudson. Brand is my favorite. Stoned chanting, clattery percussion and monster bass grooves a-go-go.

The compilation Studio Kinda Cloudy is well worth getting too.

crackerjack

Seconded on Keith Hudson. Genius. 'Flesh of my flesh, Blood of my Blood' (?) is amazing too.

That's probably the most "out there" isn't it. i do like his disco-influenced stuff too - that Angry/Nuh Skin Up dub is incredible.

another vote for yabby too - something about the guy's voice that touches heaven. and that B&F box/2cd is a great comp

Numbers

61KVA2YAE9L._AA240_.jpg

Doesn't perfectly fit within the reggae boundaries, but might very well be right up your street.

crackerjack

Not heard that - will check it out. Keith-Hudson-goes-disco sounds like a recipe that cannot fail!

Well Civilisation off the Too Experienced album is even more disco. Angry/Nuh Skin Up in the dubbier end of the late-70s NY thing, if you catch my drift.

STN

sou'wester
Oh and has anyone recommended you go out and get the following Twinkle Brothers 7"s:

never get burn
since I throw the comb away
war in jerusalem
one head
rasta pon top

the album versions don't seem to be as good.