hella BS in SF

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I'm getting really sick and tired of people proclaiming things dead, especially these kinds of news sources - dead to who? what has it become? what is the point of telling everyone it is dead? so they'll stop liking it?

EDIT: this isn't aimed at you zhao

zhao

there are no accidents
yeah i know what you mean, but it's just a cheap journalistic device to get raised eyebrows in this case. what do you think the reaction of the community is right now after this article came out? i'm pretty sure the writer anticipated or even intended to incite a "Hyphy Not Dead" response (sounds like he is pretty down with the local sound). also i like putting all the KMEL BS in one place so people know what kind of dirty game they runnin.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
I've read other articles proclaiming it's dead, even quoting major artists saying the same thing. This is what happens when local scenes blow up, money from outside pours in and outsiders take control, the best people get sucked away to ATL or NYC or LA or whatever, and the local scene fractures and fragments as everyone scrambles for the crumbs. And they don't have radio any more, which was crucial to developing the local scene.

LOLZ at this:

Contractual snafus and bad business practices by some artists resulted in missed opportunities; major labels signed local artists, then delayed releasing their albums. National media made a big fuss over the controversial practice of "ghost-riding the whip" (putting a car in neutral and dancing on its hood or roof while the vehicle kept rolling). Additionally, hyphy was frequently linked to illegal sideshows, and there were reports of violence at concerts and clubs. Subsequently, overall sales figures never quite caught up with the hype.

Shady business practices, broken promises, people afraid of black youth violence getting cold feet, shitty promotion and shelved records... same ol, same ol really. Of course we'll see all the stories that blow up the petty personal beefs to make it look like it's the artists' fault...

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
I'm getting really sick and tired of people proclaiming things dead, especially these kinds of news sources - dead to who? what has it become? what is the point of telling everyone it is dead? so they'll stop liking it?

EDIT: this isn't aimed at you zhao

It's not dead like a person, but it's ending as a youth culture. Sure, people will still make hyphy songs and ghostride their whips, but even the artists are saying it's not the force it once was. This isn't JUST journalistic bullshit.