Teo Macero RIP

polystyle

Producer of Miles Davis In a Silent Way , Bitches Brew , among many others .
User of tape editing of jams to construct those pieces.
Didn't want those more recent rereleases of the unedited jams to be released.
Pretty large influence over a long stretch Teo ...
RIP

Last edited by a moderator:

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
very sad news indeed- a TRUE innovator- how much amazing late 20th century music this guy has influenced is beyond comprehension

RIP

polystyle

Can just imagine how outraged und righteous the purists and crits were when they found out he had EDITED those jazz pieces into being ... lol .
Right on Teo

Now listening: SHHH / Peaceful

polystyle

IMO , not sure MIles would have liked to see those unedited jams released either ...
And yeah, maybe their arguments in Studio should be released.

zhao

there are no accidents
some of what he did still blows minds today. mine at least.

certain passages of in a silent way, the keyboard transitions i think, is just so alien, so beautiful, so wicked.

he did do Live Evil and Dark Magus yes? i remember one funky and rocking track where the sound continues to pan completely back and forth between left and right speaker for the entire duration. sound so damn good too. def a big WTF moment first time i heard it -- this was made when? 1978?

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
yeah- both of those and everything from In a Silent Way through to Get Up WIth It in 74- he may have worked with Miles after his year 'retirement' briefly but i'm not certain about that.

Yeah- so many WTF moments, my own fave still being the bizarre melange of stockhausen and sly stone which is On The Corner.

marvelous :D

dHarry

Fantastic interview about tape-editing with Miles Davis (including hilarious impersonations, and great shirt), thanks to Michael's blog http://www.nonwrestler.com/blog/ :D

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>