The History Of Black Comic Book Heroes 1900-1968

john eden

male pale and stale
Wow. I've only got about a third of the way through this - but will definitely check the rest.

Seriously interesting on all sorts of levels - many thanks!

zhao

there are no accidents
yes really interesting post. i am thinking that if someone was to do one on Asians the list would be very, very short. (there was a japanese X-man for like, 2 issues. that's all i can think of)

for while there were lots of negative imagery created for blacks, representation of Asians in western media almost did not exist until very recently.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
yes really interesting post. i am thinking that if someone was to do one on Asians the list would be very, very short. (there was a japanese X-man for like, 2 issues. that's all i can think of)

But you're only talking about English-language comics, I assume? Manga is huge in Japan and has been around for aaages.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
You mean Sunfire?

for while there were lots of negative imagery created for blacks, representation of Asians in western media almost did not exist until very recently.

Sunfire was an X-man but he went back to Japan to be it's protector because he felt guilty for leaving. There have been a long list of Asian characters in American comic books (heroes and villains)...someone should do a list for Asians and start out with the racist depictions from the turn of the century and leading up to WW2 (Yellow Claw, Young Allies & All Winners Squad were terribly racist towards the Japanese)

One.

Pestario

tell your friends

Yeah there aren't many but xmen had a few (off the top of my head):

Jubilation Lee (Chinese American
Sunfire (Japanese)
Sway (Chinese American?)
Armor (Japanese)
Karma (Vietnamese)

This isn't a dig at you or anything I was just testing out my geek knowlege.

zhao

there are no accidents
oh right... jubiLEE... yeah i guess i don't know my comix as well as i thought :slanted:

zhao

there are no accidents
Yeah it didn't occur to me for years.

no excuses for us because she actually even looked asian most of the time

Jubilee01.jpg

petergunn

plywood violin
Yeah there aren't many but xmen had a few (off the top of my head):

Karma (Vietnamese)

the Karma intro story in Marvel Team Up or Two in One or whatever w/ her using Spidey to fight the FF w/ art by Frank Miller is one of my fav comics ever...

Pestario

tell your friends
Just finished reading your article. Great read, very well researched. I'm sure post 1968 it would be interesting to see how the transition from stereotpyed to well rounded characters occured and how it became mainstream - who championed it etc.

petergunn

plywood violin
Just finished reading your article. Great read, very well researched. I'm sure post 1968 it would be interesting to see how the transition from stereotpyed to well rounded characters occured and how it became mainstream - who championed it etc.

The Prowler was a good one...

asm78original.jpg

but, yeah, PD great article, def a lot of charectors n comics i had no idea about, very very well done!

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Thanks all!

I planned this blog for six months and it took me a full week to compose and in total eight hours just to post up text and image. I had to stop and put my right wrist in a cast due to overtyping. It ended up getting posted up all over the internet as well. I'm not doing another post that time consuming and exhaustive unless I'm getting paid for it.

One.

john eden

male pale and stale
I planned this blog for six months and it took me a full week to compose and in total eight hours just to post up text and image. I had to stop and put my right wrist in a cast due to overtyping. It ended up getting posted up all over the internet as well. I'm not doing another post that time consuming and exhaustive unless I'm getting paid for it.

One.

You should:

a) really watch that shit with your arm. I still suffer from RSI and it isn't trivial. See a doctor if you can. Maybe get some exercises from a physiotherapist. PM me if you want to know more.
b) Totally explore some angles which mean you get paid for part two!
c) Just relax and bask a bit in the glory for a while - I've now read it all and really enjoyed it, learnt from it, the whole tamale.

nomos

Administrator
b) Totally explore some angles which mean you get paid for part two!

Yeah this would be fantastic in print. Really fascinating post Dart - you've pulled together so much. It's something I've wondered about since coming across The Black Panther but I never knew where to start. Looking forward to #2 (but for god's sake take John's advice about the RSI!).