ong-bak, martial arts movie

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Not my kind of thing and the whole "no strings" thing is a bit "who cares?" but here is a website for a new Bruce Lee type martial arts movie. The trailer looks pretty cool:

http://www.ongbakmovie.com/

Thai fighting didn't really get its moment in the spotlight yet.

So what was the latest martial arts flick to really excite you? "Crouching Tiger..." left me cold. All that fruity flying around and the one person taking on a hundred is ridiculous. Ditto for "Kill Bill" only add cringe inducing dialogue. I am more into the quick, quiet and deadly stuff like that Japanese series "Sword of Vengeance", the one with the guy and the little kid. It doesn't have all this flash, looks more real. Anything like that recently?

martin

----
I saw "House of Flying Daggers" just before Xmas - was alright, bit too much of a soppy love interest thing going on.

"Zatoichi" and "Azumi" were prob the last good ones I saw. Though I've still got to track down a copy of "Shaolin Soccer" which sounds ace. I really liked the first "Kill Bill" though for the comic ultra-violence at the end, could do without the rest.

But this is mostly blades talk, I haven't seen any MA films to equal "Police Story" in ages

Ach!

Turd on the Run
I must get Shogun Assassin. It's deep. So deep GZA/RZA sampled it on Liquid Swordz. That's deep.

luka

yeah i seen that, its got foxy girl ninjas throwing deadly sharpened vegetables, like carrots

rewch

shogun assassin rocks... you can see much of tarantino's inspiration came from here... but the shogun doesn't get assassinated!

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
I believe "Shogun Assasin" is actually an edited version of the "Sword of Vengeance" series. They took 3 movies and edited them into one or something.

Raw Patrick

The re-edited Western shogun assassin Shogun Assassin has an amazing synth score, bizarrely by Mark Lidsey of 60s garage pop-rockers Paul Revere and the Raiders. It also has my favourite advert of all time, as included on every other Vipco DVD ever.

adruu

This Is It
the whole genre is really boring to me now. i don't know when that happened. still rate jet-li's new legend of shaolin though.

shaolin soccer was suprisingly good too.

puretokyo

Mercury Blues
rewch said:
shogun assassin rocks... you can see much of tarantino's inspiration came from here... but the shogun doesn't get assassinated!

The main character used to be the Shogun's personal assassin.