Joe Gibbs RIP

petergunn

plywood violin
w/ joe gibbs i never know what to attribute to him and what to tribute to Erroll Thompson...

that said dude has his name on some of my favorite reggae records...

Prince Far I- Heavy Manners LP
Africa Dub Chaps 2 and 3
Culture- 2 sevens clash LP

and endless 7"s and 12"s...

the "Don't Stop til you get enough" cover by Derrick Laro and Trinity... Money in my pocket by Dennis Brown...

recently dug that Pressure Sounds Joe Gibbs version comp "No Bones for the Dogs" out of storage... made me realize the magic of the Mighty Two sound... somehow they did some of the wildest weirdest stuff that stands up to Lee Perry or Keith Hudson, yet had a real solid ear for solid commercial pop in a way Scratch didn't (not to say Scracth did not do commercial stuff at that time, but that Joe Gibbs stuff had a real meat n potatos vibe that Perry never had...)

Last edited:

martin

----
"Rockers Nuh Crackers", "Two Sevens" and "Three Piece Suit" are such classics, still sound incredible today, and were some of the first tracks that got me into reggae in the first place. RIP.

john eden

male pale and stale
His 80s dancehall stuff is massively underrated. I think he is up there with Junjo, personally.

Numbers

Sad news, indeed.

My first vinyl was his African Dub All Mighty, Chapter Three. I remember being all proud about having it on red vinyl. Gosh, the memories.