Anything happening in New Orleans?

CHAOTROPIC

on account
Heading to New Orleans this Saturday & leaving the following Thursday. Won't have a lot of time to play but I'll get Saturday night, most of Sunday, & maybe one free evening during the week.

Where's good for music? Is anything left after Katrina did a Kevin Costner on the place?? I'm looking for good bars, live music venues, jazz, hip-hop ... anything good & 'of the place'.

Any help appreciated. Ta!

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I hate it when threads I've started get total air so I thought I'd leave a meaningless message just so you at least get one reply.

N

nomadologist

I think most people in New Orleans are busy rebuilding their business and claiming massive losses on their taxes this month, or waiting for FEMA checks that never arrive.

Maybe there is still some jazz, who knows? Probably enough to keep tourists happy.

N

nomadologist

I swear that's an indirect.

Ha, you mean an indirect, grumpy response to the glib "Kevin Kostnered the place" statement? Not an intentional one, though I wouldn't mind taking credit for an arch response.

STN

sou'wester
I hate it when threads I've started get total air so I thought I'd leave a meaningless message just so you at least get one reply.

In that case, would you mind popping over to my Eccentric Soul thread, even if you just want to let us all know your preferred flavour of Opal Fruit or something.

Lad I know kept going on about Fipitina's last time I spoke to him, he's somewhere daft like Ohio right now. Jazz and hip-hop apparently. I might have spelt that wrong though.

lissajou

CHAOTROPIC

on account
Cheers lissajou, dunno how much time I'll have left but I'll try & make it down to Spellcaster Lodge ... Quintron seems to be on tour at the moment which completely SUCKS A DOG because if his photos & bio are anything to go by he must be one of the biggest must-sees on the planet.

Interesting place. I've been here three times before but not since Katrina. There's a kindof musty smell that hits you when you get off the plane. Haven't been out of the centre but there's a definite shift in ethnic mix since I was here last ... white faces in cleaning jobs & serving food, that kindof thing. An artist I met yesterday told me that commercial rents plummeted last year as a whole bunch of tourist businesses evacuated. Artists & craftsmen saw their chance & communalised & a few blocks of Royal Street are now an artists colony. However, housing rents have gone through the roof & you just can't afford to live here on minimum wage anymore, even on 80hrs a week, she said. You can see it in the hotels: bedlinen goes unchanged, minibars are unfilled, the usual phalanx of gatekeepers, taxi-callers & doormen are strangely absent.

Spent most of yesterday hanging out in Voodoo Authentica in the French Quarter, & at Princess Miriam's spiritual temple. There's gumbo coming out of my ears. Mumbo gumbo, ahahahaha! Sorry.

Will try & find you a tshirt, mistersloane. Incidentally, you will NOT BELIEVE what I found buried under a pile of junk in Dr Zombie's voodoo shop!!! :cool: