getting gigs in london

straight

wings cru
It became apparent earlier on in the week that my life in manchester is going round in circles so i'm moving to london in a few weeks. I'm sad to be leaving a lot of good mates behind but i need to grow up a bit and leave the drug mania I tend to become embroiled in half the week behind and join my girlfriend and slightly more sensible mates down south. Already have several prospective jobs lined up and im quite excited about the whole thing.

Anyway, I'll get to the point, whats the best way to go about getting gigs in the big smoke? I've some contacts with the more experimental folk in town through playing sprawl etc a couple of years ago and james i used to do tramp with books for allez allez and some others but I was hoping you could give me some pointers on picking up djing and visual gigs? who/where to contact etc?

zhao

there are no accidents
maybe try gatecrasher or ministry of sound? i hear they're always looking for new talent...

sorry :(

I am having a lot of trouble finding gigs for a burlesque themed sample based soul band with a black singer and occasional raps. I didn't think I would.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I am having a lot of trouble finding gigs for a burlesque themed sample based soul band with a black singer and occasional raps. I didn't think I would.

Well there are just so many of those these days, aren't there? You've got to do something different to get noticed...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Kinda depends if you want them to be paying or not str, plus are you talking AMM type experimental Sprawl type stuff or, y'know, Pole? If you gis more of an idea I'm sure I can point you in some directions.

straight

wings cru
ive not really been gigging much in manchester the last few months. I was doing visuals 2 or 3 nights a week before xmas which wasnt leaving too much room for music but that kind of fizzled out and ive been on a massive drive to sort out a decent job the last few months. I'd like to hook up with some droning improv folks and ive already lined up possibly soundtracking a performance piece. I'm also planning a half live/half DJ affair for my techier outings as soon as ive honed my productions a bit more, ive been enjoying DJing at parties recently after not bothering for years. might even pick up one of them fassy seratos.

mixed_biscuits

http://www.secondlayer.co.uk/shop-opening.asp

'Second Layer Records
323 Archway Road
Highgate
London
N6 5AA

Tel. 07855 140 992

Opposite Highgate tube station on the Northern line. Buses: 134 from Tottenham Court Road, Camden or 43
from London Bridge, Old Street, Highbury & Islington.

Come and visit Tuesday - Saturday, 12 midday to 5.30pm'

straight

wings cru
wow, that sounds fantastic. I'd heard of sound 323 but I didnt realise where it is, i'll be staying at my girlfriends in archway for a while

Pestario

tell your friends
Would these guys be able to help you?

http://www.secondlayer.co.uk/shop-opening.asp

'Second Layer Records
323 Archway Road
Highgate
London
N6 5AA

Tel. 07855 140 992

Opposite Highgate tube station on the Northern line. Buses: 134 from Tottenham Court Road, Camden or 43
from London Bridge, Old Street, Highbury & Islington.

Come and visit Tuesday - Saturday, 12 midday to 5.30pm'

Wow I live just down the road from there and didn't know it existed - will have to check it out.