Dodgy Bad Taste Warrior Queen Lyrics

zhao

there are no accidents
i played a warrior queen and i think bug track at the party last sat. and somehow before never noticed her shouting something along the lines of "you can't go around killing people in the name of Islam". i think i just hit stop and started playing another tune.

yes, that is EXACTLY what i want to hear when i'm having a good time, propaganda from the telly coming out of big speakers.

mc.gif

and it throws up a much more alarming spin on the title "DEM A BOMB WE". (which by itself might be explained as run of the mill machismo and gun-talk, or even in the sense of "we be droppin lyrical bombs")

am i reading too much into it or is she a right-wing jingoist war mongering tool?

especially considering in Britain at the moment all the immigration issues and racism and fear... it's just... ugh.

EDIT: after having read some of her other lyrics (thanks crackjack), i have concluded that she is definitely, all or nearly all not as i described above. and was just that particular line delivered so forcefully which sounds really really bad. (but still at present time have not read the entire lyrics)

and i do hope that I'm completely wrong about this. as i would love to support this lady without reservations...

Last edited:
Another censorius dancehall fan scandalised! ;)

am i reading too much into it or is she a right-wing jingoist war mongering tool?

If you allowed people's personal politics to inform their music to this degree that would put a huge amount you probably play and enjoy off limits. Having said that...i don't think Warrior Queen could entirely be described as, "a right-wing jingoist war mongering tool"...and the tunes are good eh...

Anyone copped the ODB documentary? There's that great bit where they're saying George Bush is the world's biggest gangsta because he stole the presidency...haha..."George we got love for you nigga...what's up?"...

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
i haven't heard the tune in questio, but telling people not to kill other people in the name of religion doesn't seem all that bad to me.

tox

Factory Girl
Like sodium said, couldn't that lyric be interpreted as meaning 'don't kill people in the name of religion'? Doesn't seem right-wing or in bad taste to me... Killing people is bad, and doing it in the name of religion is hypocritical and detrimental to everyone else of that faith.

(haven't heard the tune though)

zhao

there are no accidents
'don't kill people in the name of religion'

of course there is nothing wrong with this statement in itself.

but

• IT IS AN EXTREMELY ONE SIDED AND GROSSLY SIMPLIFIED REACTION TO THE SITUATION. (WHAT ABOUT "DON'T KILL PEOPLE IN THE NAME OF DEMOCRACY?????")

• it is an ignorant and lazy stance which does not take into account causality which goes back many decades.

• it is also the official message of dominant ideology, already ubiquitous and repeated ad nauseam in all mainstream media.

• it polarizes people, and further exacerbates current problems of racism and xenophobia.

• and it is this same message which is used by politicians to make money off of fraudulent wars.

and what about "DEM A BOMB WE"???? how is that anything BUT jingoist war mongering???

the least thing we need is our "underground" artists and voices of the inner city youths to be shouting slogans of the state. what this says for the grime (or whatever) community as a whole is "we are semi or un-educated and have the critical thinking skills of sheep".

(tried to find transcripts of lyrics for either song but to no avail...)

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
as description of her feelings in response to the london bombings ' first i was afraid i was petrified' which is what the song is about if you actually ever bothered to listen to the lyrics in the first place it's a really good record - and the only one i've heard that tackles the subject, and you also can't go killing people in the name of islam, is a fair statement.
It doesn't stake it's claim to be a critical analysis of foreign policy but it's a very emotional response.

what ya do, if i went by your rules i'd never have bought any records i like and the same goes for you.

and what the fuck about grime, why do you have any of these records?

• it polarizes people, and further exacerbates current problems of racism and xenophobia.

WHAT?

Last edited:

crackerjack

If I hadn't recognised the name behind this post I would've assumed it was a parody.

Zhao, you really are a complete clod.

STN

sou'wester
"Wicked Act' by YT has a similar theme, but he does slate Bush and Blair.

I must say, I'm on the side of 'this really isn't very bad at all', especially given the topical nature of dancehall.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I understand it's an emotional response - and she is clearly not having a go at Islam, it's actually more of a 'why do want to do this to Islam?' sort of sentiment.

But at the same time it is an annoyingly unquestioning understanding of the situation. I mean, did these supposed Islamist bombers actually go up to her, introduce themselves and explain their motives and justifications? No, she's just spouted verbatim what the papers are saying. That is pretty dumb and simplistic.

Last edited:

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
if she'd said "kill muslims cos they killed some english" then that'd be bad. asking islamist terrorists to kindly please stop blowing up her country's transport network is neither wrong nor terribly biased.

crackerjack

No, she's just spouted verbatim what the papers are saying. That is pretty dumb and simplistic.

Plus ca change.

War...huh...yeah
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing
Uh ha haa ha
War...huh...yeah
What is it good for?
Absolutley nothing...say it again y'all
War..huh...look out...
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing...listen to me ohhhhh

WAR! I despise,
'cos it means destruction of innocent lives,
War means tears to thousands of mother's eyes,
When their sons gone to fight and lose their lives.

I said WAR!...huh...good God y'all,
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing...say it again
War! Huh...What is it good for (Edwin sings 'Wohh oh Lord' over the top)
Absolutely nothing...listen to me

WAR! It ain't nothing but a heartbreaker,
War. Friend only to the undertaker.
Ohhh! War is an enemy to all mankind,
The thought of war blows my mind.
War has caused unrest within the younger generation
Induction then destruction...who wants to die? Ohhh

WAR! good God y'all huh
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing...say it say it SAY IT!
WAR!...uh huh yeah hu!
What is it good for?

WAR! It ain't nothing but a heartbreaker,
War! It's got one friend that's the undertaker.
Ohhhh! War has shattered many a young man's dream,
Made him disabled, bitter and mean,
Life is much too short and precious to spend fighting wars these days.
War can't give life, it can only take it away!

Ohhh WAR! huh...good God y'all
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing...say it again
War!...huh...woh oh oh Lord
What is it good for?

War! It ain't nothing but a heartbreaker,
War. Friend only to the undertaker...woo
Peace lovin' understand then tell me,
Is there no place for them today?
They say we must fight to keep our freedom,
But Lord knows there's got to be a better way.

Ohhhhhhh WAR! huh...good God y'all...
What is it good for?...you tell me!
Say it say it say it saaaay it!
War! good God now...huh
What is it good for?
Stand up and shout it...NOTHING [END]

noel emits

Edwin's not making assumptions and taking the official word on who wages war and why as read. He's just stating an undisputable truth.

In the whole analysis of the London bombings doesn't it seem like that had more in common with something like a school shooting freakout event than anything to do with international Islamic terrorism? That's kind of a gloss or a justification but not really the underlying psychology.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Edwin's not making assumptions and taking the official word on who wages war and why as read. He's just stating an undisputable truth.

yes but a group of fundamental muslims blew up some buses this was warrior queens reaction to it.

also have you heard the record?
it makes sense in the context of her panic on the record.

Last edited:

crackerjack

Edwin's not making assumptions and taking the official word on who wages war and why as read.

So where is Warrior Queen "taking the official word on who wages war and why as read"?

And which bit of "you can't go around killing people in the name of Islam" do you disagree with?

noel emits

So where is Warrior Queen "taking the official word on who wages war and why as read"?

And which bit of "you can't go around killing people in the name of Islam" do you disagree with?
Because it's a total assumption.

The lyric writer has no direct knowledge of anyone 'killing people in the name of Islam'. Neither do I, that's why I wouldn't make such a statement. It makes her look stupid. I've already explained, it's just fucking simplistic to tackle the issue in that way. That was actually my thought when I first heard the record.

What the fuck is it when underground artists swallow what they read in the papers unquestioningly?

Last edited:

Dusty

Tone deaf
Can't see what the problem is about speaking out against blowing up civilians on the London transport system?

"...you should deal with your cause more sanely, not just go killing people innocently... they commit the crime we pay the penalty."

Hardly warmongering lyrics.

Fucking good track.

did these supposed Islamist bombers actually go up to her, introduce themselves and explain their motives and justifications? No, she's just spouted verbatim what the papers are saying. That is pretty dumb and simplistic.

I would argue getting on Warrior Queen's local bus and detonating a bomb is pretty dumb and simplistic.

Last edited:

crackerjack

The lyric writer has no direct knowledge of anyone 'killing people in the name of Islam'. Neither do I, that's why I wouldn't make such a statement. It makes her look stupid. I've already explained, it's just fucking simplistic to tackle the issue in that way. That was actually my thought when I first heard the record.

Eh? I've no direct knowledge of the Holocaust. Am I supposed to bite my tongue on the subject?

zhao

there are no accidents
so when friends and family are killed by americans, its ok to sing about it,

who sings about this? i honestly can't think of a tune which says "you can't go around killing people in the name of democracy".

They say we must fight to keep our freedom,
But Lord knows there's got to be a better way.

these lyrics certainly seem to make me a bit guilty of jumping to conclusions about her politics without reading the words of her other songs -- which one is this? world war 3? i can go play them but would do my head in right now.

has anyone got DEM A BOMB WE lyrics?

if I am at all wrong about her, i apologize. but if it is a mistake, i think it is clear that it is one that is easy to make.

noel emits

Eh? I've no direct knowledge of the Holocaust. Am I supposed to bite my tongue on the subject?
It's not really comparable is it? Much bigger event, longer ago, better understood, information from many sources, and not many have a problem with hating on Fascism.

More comparable would be someone coming out with a song about the 1933 Reichstag fire and happily calling the perpetrators 'Communists'.

zhao

there are no accidents

but if you were to endlessly repeat at the top of your voice what everyone gets an ear full of every time they watch a movie on the subject, it would also be pretty boring and annoying.

and comparing the complex situation today to the relatively black and white holocaust is extremely naive and symptomatic of the same simple minded uncritical acceptance of official rhetoric that i found in those lyrics.