Melodyne Direct Note Access

hint

party record with a siren
http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=dna

This is officially nuts.

A man with a splendid beard has made some software that can pull apart recordings of chords and change the pitch, length and timing of individual notes within that chord independently, in realtime. It's something that most people would have thought impossible.

I'm sure that the usual concerns about recorded music becoming more and more processed will only get worse as this kind of technology becomes commonplace, but there will, of course, be creative applications which look beyond simple performance correction / perfection.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
"The more I thought about it the more I realised what couldn't be done in theory might be possible in reality."

swears

preppy-kei
I remember telling my mate about Melodyne when it first came out a few years back, his first reaction was "Why don't you just play a different note in the first place?"

DJ PIMP

"The more I thought about it the more I realised what couldn't be done in theory might be possible in reality."

I liked that too... reminded me of Eisenstein:

“Insofar as mathematics is about reality, it is not certain, and insofar as it is certain, it is not about reality.”

Meedi - I think hes getting a bit German with it.

bnek

I'm sure that the usual concerns about recorded music becoming more and more processed will only get worse as this kind of technology becomes commonplace, but there will, of course, be creative applications which look beyond simple performance correction / perfection.

quote from a blog which was quoted from somewhere else on the internet:
“I can imagine the sessions:

“Hal, we need you to strum a chord”

“Just one chord?”

“Just one chord, Hal, that’s right.”

“Uh, what chord?”

“Doesn’t matter.”

“Like this?”

“Great, thanks.”

“OK, here I go…”

“No, we’re done, Hal. You can leave now.”

“Uh, really? OK, see you next time.”

“We won’t be needing you any more Hal, we have the chord to work with.”

“wha…?”

“Hal, please clear the studio, we have the bass note to record, the horn
section stab, and then we need the rest of the week to work with your
chord.”
etc.

but everything you hear on the radio is already processed to fuck, & 99% of people couldnt care less anyway. imagine what the rza could do with it...

swears

preppy-kei
Be interesting to see how people abuse this software. Like putting a really complex arrangement through it and seeing which notes "smear" into weird harmonics and timbres.

dHarry

its pretty incredible, will be interesting to see how its applied.

check the sonicstate vid if you havent: http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=6281

he plays around w/ a chet baker record about 2/3rds through, bit hard to hear but you can see the potential.

WOOOOOOOOW - did you see that at around 7.50, he just replays the chords of the guitar loop at will from the keyboard, and then the Chet Baker - this is messing with the fabric of the space-time continuum, going back in time to change the original recording in the past...

But... one of the crazy exciting things about rave and RZA-esque sampling was the fact that it wasn't in tune. Playing a snippet of Carl Orff or whatever up and down the keyboard (T99's Anasthasia) was musically 'wrong', and so created a kind of new musical paradigm beyond harmony - the other side of the coin wrt what serialists were doing mathematically and later the musique concrete/electronic/tape composers. Rave producers and experimental hip hop sampling did this by necessity and without really caring about musical rules. This crazy magic voodoo software would only serve to clean that stuff up musically/harmonically and eliminate some of the crazy magic voodoo from the resulting music.

But still - it's AMAZING... (the inventor isn't the best seller of it really, his examples are too subtle - he should get someone to demo it in ways that could really blow people's minds, changing a singer singing or a Beatles song or something)

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
WOOOOOOOOW - did you see that at around 7.50, he just replays the chords of the guitar loop at will from the keyboard, and then the Chet Baker - this is messing with the fabric of the space-time continuum, going back in time to change the original recording in the past..
It's like some kind of PKD scenario - change the notes in a piece of music and the musicians in the past play something different and the future changes too.