fuck buttons

mms

sometimes
bloody hell!
heard street horrrsing their album ?
what i want - definitely one of my albums of the year so far.

Last edited:

michael

Bring out the vacuum
So the artist is Fuck Buttons, their album is called 'Street Horrrsing'?

What kind of stuff is it? What do you like about it? etc. etc.

childrentalking

very average, drone-by-the-numbers. i saw them live and was cringing. they have a serious hard on for black dice/animal collective c. 2002. it's that with sunroof! cloudz style blissed keyboards caked on top and inexplicable sub-Butthole Surfers vocals groaning over the whole mess... ugh

childrentalking

i think this review nails my feelings: http://www.dustedmagazine.com/reviews/4160

... if it all sounds a little familiar, that’s precisely because it is. These same urban tribal percussive swoops that rear their head from time to time sound as if they were pinched from middle-period Animal Collective or Beaches and Canyons Black Dice. That gauzy distension that marks tracks “Okay, Let’s Talk About Magic” comes right out of Growing’s notebook. All of these are great sounds, in and of themselves; here, however, they sound as if they’ve been positioned strictly with 2001 as a starting point. Thus, while each of these markers have plenty of antecedents in the pantheon of great experimental artists, here they can sound thin and underworked, less like a series of ideas cresting to the top and more like a mimicked style.

although i notice Marc Masters really likes it...
something about them really rubs me up the wrong way though. (from the name up)

mms

sometimes
very average, drone-by-the-numbers. i saw them live and was cringing. they have a serious hard on for black dice/animal collective c. 2002. it's that with sunroof! cloudz style blissed keyboards caked on top and inexplicable sub-Butthole Surfers vocals groaning over the whole mess... ugh

i don't hear any of that, it's pretty damn precise too!

childrentalking

you don't hear any animal collective?! when they wheel a drum out into the crowd and bounce up and down and hit it tribally, wailing? come on... straight out of here comes the indian. and the casio aesthetic is totally sunroof! derived... i mean, there's nothing wrong with being derivative per se, but denying it's happening in this case is impossible.

childrentalking

i should add that i haven't heard the album, i have no real wish to after seeing them live. i'm coming from this band from a totally different perspective to most of their audience though, i'm fairly immersed in the music they're inspired by and have no need for a friendly facsimile of it. if that makes me a grumpy git, so be it.

straight

wings cru
i nearly did a split 12" with them a couple of years ago, my mate micheal knows them quite well. Not mind blowingly original but always entertaining live and I think theyve a unique dancey slant on noise.

mms

sometimes
you don't hear any animal collective?! when they wheel a drum out into the crowd and bounce up and down and hit it tribally, wailing? come on... straight out of here comes the indian. and the casio aesthetic is totally sunroof! derived... i mean, there's nothing wrong with being derivative per se, but denying it's happening in this case is impossible.

i don't think this has anything to do with the album which is what i'm talking about.

I saw them live supporting a friend and they were mediocre. i suppose some dudes with casio keyboards, fisher price mics and a bunch of effects pedals had got a bit old by then so i admittedly didn't give it my full attention. i had a listen to this album and its undenibably extremely derivative....yes, black dice, sunroof, maybe a lil suicide and a little vision creation era boredoms.... though generally its a very "american underground" aesthetic. they don't seem to have listened back much further than that...not a trace of anything english in there. i really don't think you'll be listening to this in a years time. the hype puzzles me but there you go....

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Good grief. Fucking yawn. It's like the opposite of life affirming. If you don't like music don't make it you passive aggressive little noise shits. I know if I saw these in concert I would have to leave or empty a pint into their laptops.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
So the artist is Fuck Buttons, their album is called 'Street Horrrsing'?

What kind of stuff is it? What do you like about it? etc. etc.

I have to confess, when I saw the title of this thread I thought it was going to be a rant about the latest doings of one of Bob Geldof's brats.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I think they're relatively musical, actually.
Relative to what? Anyway, Celone Dino is musical. I just hate the fucking dreary self congratulatory inept check shirt wearing beard muppet vibe. There's a lot of it about and it's nearly all rubbish. I hate Black Dice too. It's just so tired and it gives nothing. But anyway, it's not my tea - might be something there for others.
So there are two groups called 'Fuckbuttons' (or 'Fuck Buttons')?

This probably says something really important about the state of music totay. Not sure what, though.
I thought it was some kind of Luther Blissett type thing maybe, but it's clearly not. Just found them when I did a myspace search. I mostly hate that kind of octave bass electro pop thing too but those girls are actually almost inspired.