Tibet is not China

polystyle

It never was , though some may no doubt debate that.

Interesting to notice first Bjork made her statement during her show in China ( 'Tibet' ) ,
then the official reaction ( 'She hurt the Chinese people...').
Next even Harry Connick Jr.'s show in Shanghai was messed with by an anxious Communist Party.

Then the Buddhist monks tried to march and were met with overreaction.
And then it blew up. In a few directions.

The CCP had a chance to show something different in their stance towards a row of monks marching, but they've blown it. Again.

Long simmering dissent from the young Tibetans ...
Anyone going to the Olympics in Beijing ?

zhao

there are no accidents
i'm going after the games.

not that Tibetans or the Lama are completely what they seem, but the CCP can go to hell.

jenks

thread death
My wife spent a some time teaching out in China and I remember her being appalled that Beijing had been given the Olympics.

The only hope is that the administration has not really considered the impact of lots of people used to having freedom of movement etc suddenly turning up in their country on the pretext of reporting a sporting event. I might be wrong but I just think that the spotlight that will fall on China will be impossible to control by the Party.

The flipside is that they won't care and will carry on regardless, abusing Human Rights, slapping down dissent in Lhasa and elsewhere. A prospect that needs to be considered, according to my wife.

polystyle

I hear that Zhao ,
We all know the CIA , a hand George W's dad had in Tibet.
Have been wanting to get to Shanghai and now after a great meeting with old friend , even Beijing,
but *uck the CCP.

Jonesy

Wild Horses
The only hope is that the administration has not really considered the impact of lots of people used to having freedom of movement etc suddenly turning up in their country on the pretext of reporting a sporting event. I might be wrong but I just think that the spotlight that will fall on China will be impossible to control by the Party.

Surely the western media won't be overly critical of China during the Olympics? The political and economic interests of the western powers supersede any concern over human rights.

Can you imagine the impossible scenario of Iran holding the Olympics?!

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Surely the western media won't be overly critical of China during the Olympics? The political and economic interests of the western powers supersede any concern over human rights.
Isn't that slightly overstating the strength of the connection? If stories critical of the CCP will sell papers (and I'd think they would - nice 'aren't you glad you live in the free world' angle, get back to the old anti-communist line), how much are editors going to gag them owing to rather more distant interests in promoting trade with China?

Jonesy

Wild Horses
Isn't that slightly overstating the strength of the connection? If stories critical of the CCP will sell papers (and I'd think they would - nice 'aren't you glad you live in the free world' angle, get back to the old anti-communist line), how much are editors going to gag them owing to rather more distant interests in promoting trade with China?

People buy the right wing papers to read stories about pedos and mad mullahs not communist regimes. The rest of the press sell sweet F.A anyway.

crackerjack

Your theory doesn't fit the facts. Sky have more dealings with China than any other UK media, but Sky News has given this way more coverage than anyone else.

polystyle

CCP announces today that 660 people involved in the recent Tibetan protests have 'surrendered to authorities'.
Some forms of surrendering seen in recent videos includes having your head held down from behind by soldier as you sign the paper affirming your guilt',
or being beaten bloody by police or soldiers while in the street.
This surrendering' includes ethnic Tibetan provinces neighboring Tibet proper and also the Far West China region where those pesky Uygurs wanting to preserve their culture have gotten swept into a neat 'terrorist' banner ala GW Bush's general tagging of countries as an 'Axis'.
Boycotting the opening of the Olympics is probably about all that some countries will do, if that.
Outside pressure on CCP , anything that makes them feel lose of face - just hardens their position.

zhao

there are no accidents
Outside pressure on CCP , anything that makes them feel lose of face - just hardens their position.

god i would suicide bomb the FUCK out of that regime way before anything else. i know it is completely stupid juvenile but i get rambo type uber-violence fantasies thinking about that shit.

zhao

there are no accidents
Picture-1.jpg

anglais.jpg

20627422vy2.jpg

beiijing_2008_parodien2.jpg

polystyle

Thanks Zhao
Quite the occasion for new design variations ...

The Chinese Olympic Com. has been transporting their own elite guards with them -
members of the Sacred Flame Protection Unit of the Chinese People's Armed police.
The same thugs in track suits were supposedly on the front lines beating people in Tibet.
Last week beating, pushing, bossing people in London and Paris too.

Last edited by a moderator: