technics pitch control knackered

john eden

male pale and stale
I have to say I don't use my pitch controls much but found out the other day that one of them is knackered.

Basically if I pull the slider control towards me it is supposed to make the record speed up, but it just seems to slow it down and make it go all wobbly (not in a good way, dubstep fans).

Does anyone know how easy it is to fix it before I take it all apart?

Any recommendations for people who can fix it for me in London?

IdleRich

IdleRich
That happened to one of mine after I took it to a party. To my surprise it fixed itself after a little while so maybe I wouldn't rush to take it apart.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
To my surprise it fixed itself after a little while

Technics turntables are obviously made using the same technology as the T-800:

TermArm.jpg

nomos

Administrator
I've had a similar problem with one of mine but it's mostly righted itself. The calibration has always been a bit off (compared to the other one) and it has trouble at the indent - the light flickers and fades unless I bang it into place. Then for a few days it was having sudden bursts of speed. Just as I was about to find out how to get it serviced it stopped.

john eden

male pale and stale
Hmmm mine is still playing up. I shall arse about with it tonight and see if it magickally rectifies itself.

D

droid

I've had a similar problem with one of mine but it's mostly righted itself. The calibration has always been a bit off (compared to the other one) and it has trouble at the indent - the light flickers and fades unless I bang it into place. Then for a few days it was having sudden bursts of speed. Just as I was about to find out how to get it serviced it stopped.

This sounds seriously dodgy. I have my pitches replaced every few years and do BPM comparisons to check they're OK. Signs that they are going is any kind of speeding up/slowing down weirdness around 0 or +/- 8,or roughness in the slider (dirt underneath).

If you find someone good to service them find out if he can remove the click at quartz lock at 0.

http://music.hyperreal.org/dj/pitch_slider/

New pitches only cost about 15 quid, and can be ordered directly from Panasonic to save cash and time. Cant find that link, but these guys are cheap too (make sure you order the right one for your deck - this is a MK2 pitch slider):

http://1200s.com/Store/p100233/Pitc....html?osCsid=5c3f514b7e152701b51bf3ce72bf1a30

nomos

Administrator
New pitches only cost about 15 quid, and can be ordered directly from Panasonic to save cash and time.
Is that something one could do at home with a minimum of expertise? I don't think anyone locally fixes them which would mean time and expense sending it away. what really bugs me is that this is the new one (2005). the other i've had for 17 years with no trouble.

D

droid

Is that something one could do at home with a minimum of expertise? I don't think anyone locally fixes them which would mean time and expense sending it away. what really bugs me is that this is the new one (2005). the other i've had for 17 years with no trouble.

Im shit at soldering so I wouldnt do it myself. Ive done some basic deck repairs (phono leads etc...), but TBH, the hassle of removing about 100+ screws just to get to the pitch controls isnt too appealing.

That site myself and Ben linked to is the way to go if you wanna try - theres a few other 1210 repair guides with pics online as well.

john eden

male pale and stale
Im shit at soldering so I wouldnt do it myself.QUOTE]

Pfff! Call youself a nerd?

My decks have dirt fallen in the pitch control groove I think - feels rougher than the other one when you move it.

Might try turning it upside down tonight and see what falls out.

STN

sou'wester
I have to say I don't use my pitch controls much but found out the other day that one of them is knackered.

Basically if I pull the slider control towards me it is supposed to make the record speed up, but it just seems to slow it down and make it go all wobbly (not in a good way, dubstep fans).

Does anyone know how easy it is to fix it before I take it all apart?

Any recommendations for people who can fix it for me in London?

Who cares? You can't mix anyway.

STN

sou'wester
Anyway, I don't deal with Technics, only a Garrard that runs on frog's blood and was built by Leonardo Da Vinci.