Top 50 G.O.A.T Hip Hop Producers List (Compiled By Dart Adams)

S-Mac

Would be interseted in hearing your rationale for putting Rick Rubin in the the top 5 in place of the Bomb Squad.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Uhh...OK.

Would be interseted in hearing your rationale for putting Rick Rubin in the the top 5 in place of the Bomb Squad.

How about Rick Rubin was making Hip Hop classic tracks and albums for a full 3 years before the first Bomb Squad/Mastermind Productions/Spectrum City studio session. They didn't master their craft until 1988, a full 5 year head start for Rubin being at the top of his game. After the sampling laws came down, so did The Bomb Squad. Rick Rubin wasstill doing his thing at Def American.

Any other questions?

One.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Sorry but no. I know you're an expert but I don't agree. Longer time spent polishing his craft does not make him better than the bomb squad. Great though rubin is (though more for his rock stuff than his hiphop stuff) Bomb squad beat him IMO.

fantastic list though, real piece of work!

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
No.

Sorry but no. I know you're an expert but I don't agree. Longer time spent polishing his craft does not make him better than the bomb squad. Great though rubin is (though more for his rock stuff than his hiphop stuff) Bomb squad beat him IMO.

fantastic list though, real piece of work!

Thanks, but if I look at Rick Rubin's body of work from 1983 to 1986 before Public Enemy even signed to Def Jam and weigh the first two Public Enemy albums to Rick Rubin's entire production career from 1983 to 1988 then Rick Rubin STILL wins that debate as far as classic and seminal Hip Hop production goes.

One.

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
sorry no, i have to agree with the angel here- hard to think of any production more radical, more harder- more out there than Bomb Squad. Good work tho PD :)

gumdrops

dilla is too high in that list. good otherwise though.

also how come pmd is in there? shouldnt erick and parrish be together, regardless of what erick did later on his own? i dont think parish produced epmd on his own did he? (or did he?!)

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Yeah, but...

dilla is too high in that list. good otherwise though.

also how come pmd is in there? shouldnt erick and parrish be together, regardless of what erick did later on his own? i dont think parish produced epmd on his own did he? (or did he?!)

PMD did quite a bit of production on his own (EPMD, Das Efx, K-Solo, himself). Erick Sermon also did quite a bit of production for EPMD on his own, the difference is that PMD TOOK the credit when he did a track on his own and he often SHARED credit with Erick when E produced a track on his own. Erick didn't realize that was a stupid thing to do until too late.

Erick Sermon's production from 1993-2008 far eclipses PMD's though. PMD has made a bunch of underground releases since the last two EPMD albums came out on Def Jam. He never did much outside production after K-solo disappeared and Das Efx broke from the Hit Squad after "Generation Efx".

One.

gumdrops

i forgot the stuff pmd produced for the hit squad. seriously the hit squad are quite underrated when it comes to 'best crews in hip hop'. i wouldnt call stuff like ruff rugged and raw underground classics though, good as they were. been listening to a bit of epmd lately and much as i liked some of erick sermons solo stuff, and some of pmds solo singles too, they were never nearly as good apart as together, cliche as that is to say about disbanded groups. erick had the better run of course (some of his production was really great in the 90s, i love parts of that insomnia album) but even so.

what rick rubin productions are you talking about by the way? i cant think of much he produced in hip hop after the first wave of def jam stuff around 84/85. and brilliant as ll and run dmcs stuff was, it could get kinda samey after a while. just cos he was doing it earlier than a lot of the 'golden age' producers, doesnt mean hes necessarily better.

anyway larry smith deserves a bit of the credit rick always gets too imo - yeah rick was great but larry produced a lot of really important and just plain BRILLIANT records (sucker mcs anyone?) too...

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
i dunno rubin paved the way for public enemy. That hard edged metal with 808s and metal samples etc he created a pretty revolutionary sound which in alot of ways the bomb squad intensified. those early def jam records still sound hard as fuck.

bomb squad did do slick ricks record tho for def jam - its not so great tho.
funny thing is nation of millions is the better lp but fear in terms of production is absolutely mind boggling but not as solid an album overall, amerikkas most wanted is great tho.

Last edited:

DJ PIMP

bomb squad did do slick ricks record tho for def jam - its not so great tho.
funny thing is nation of millions is the better lp but fear in terms of production is absolutely mind boggling but not as solid an album overall, amerikkas most wanted is great tho.
Love the dense sample collage of Fear but always preferred Nations... the stripped back sound, tough drums, big squealing noises. Brutal.

Re the list, I noted the lack of Lil Jon too, he has to rate... But really I struggled to make it past the first 3. Primo over Dre?

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Primo over damn near everybody.

Love the dense sample collage of Fear but always preferred Nations... the stripped back sound, tough drums, big squealing noises. Brutal.

Re the list, I noted the lack of Lil Jon too, he has to rate... But really I struggled to make it past the first 3. Primo over Dre?

Primo over Dre 100x over. I love music, meaning I appreciate when people actually RELEASE new music. How long does it take Dre to make an album? How many scrapped albums occupy his vaults over the past 15 years? That moved him down a few spots. BTW, Marley Marl was an obvious choice for #1. He changed Hip Hop production FOREVER.

One.