HTML editor plug in for firefox?

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I need to do a website, a task at which I am useless.

I vaguely feel that a plug in for firefox might be useful - saves having another window open anyway.

Are there any html editors for firefox that are any good?

Hint: I don't know what "good" might represent. But WYSIWYG, not code, is where I'm coming from, if that helps.

bassnation

the abyss
I need to do a website, a task at which I am useless.

I vaguely feel that a plug in for firefox might be useful - saves having another window open anyway.

Are there any html editors for firefox that are any good?

Hint: I don't know what "good" might represent. But WYSIWYG, not code, is where I'm coming from, if that helps.

i was just about to recommend textmate on the mac, this is what professionals use these days, but then i noticed your condition on WYSIWYG so it may not suit.

dreamweaver is still popular, but not with people doing it for a living as it generates cruddy markup. this is probably not too much of a worry for you tho, i guess you want to create something quickly and easily rather than engineer a maintainable site.

hope this helps, give me a shout if you need any help.

secretagentgel

Depending on the need for the site, also look at using blogger or something like - even if yre not going to "blog" it's a quick easy way to get get a site up.

nomos

Administrator
xinha looks handy for quick and dirty stuff. just wondering though, since it uses < textarea > to make things editable, is there a way to make a textareas variable width and height with css or something? on its own you can i think you can only specify rows and columns which would make an awkward layout.

agreed about using wordpress or something though if the possibility is there since you can make it look very unblog.

when i did web work i was really anal about my code formatting. dreamweaver made it look like hex a car wreck. always bbedit for :)

Last edited:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Thanks for the suggestions - yeah I saw Xinha in google but it's a good idea to get recommendations from real people! I'll probably give it a go.

I want to do a site that is a load of big images with navigation from one to the other. Dreamweaver is probably overkill. I've got this thing called SeaMonkey that looks fairly straightforward. I really dislike doing webpages - I always end up wishing I was doing it in Xpress. I hate code.

bassnation

the abyss
Oh accessability, ugliness, loading times, weird way of conveying information. All the things people hate about Flash, basically.

accessibility is improving, but its a pretty shit platform imo. the runtime is optimised for windows - on other platforms (osx, linux) the processor utilisation is like 70% or something ridicolous like that. performs like a three legged dog on ketamine, basically. avoid.

but if thats what you want to do there are loads of libraries and shit. sounds like some very basic dhtml.
http://www.maxkiesler.com/index.php...adable_ajax_galleries_slideshows_and_effects/

nomos

Administrator
on other platforms (osx, linux) the processor utilisation is like 70% or something ridicolous like that. performs like a three legged dog on ketamine, basically. avoid.
that would be why my stupid g4 mini sounds like a hovercraft whenever i run into flash.