Guilty Simpson - Ode To The Ghetto

crackerjack

Seconded. He reminds me a bit of Luda and redman - just so naturally charismatic it seems like a bonus when the lyris are good too. 1st heard him on the Dabrye album two years back, where he was just awesome.

gumdrops

hes amazing for one verse cameos but the album i found underwhelming. not enough rock hard beats. and theres something just a bit generic/uninteresting about him stretched out for an album, despite him diversifying his persona a bit.

Mr Jeg

suck your thumb
^his first recorded appearance was on that jaylib album from 2003. he was hanging around detroit for a few years before that i think.

can't get into him no matter how much i try. just a very boring mc to these ears.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
he's pretty good. nice dude, better live than on record, though. he's from detroit, knew dilla for quite a while.

mms

sometimes
Dunno he's good at describing grime and the sadness of the ghetto without being nihilistic enough to start boasting about making cash from drugs and gunning ppl down.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
I heard it months ago...

It leaked about 3 months ago, I liked it but wasn't completely blown away by it. It's still one of the best 25 Hip Hop releases of the year so far easily.

One.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I thought this album was pretty awful. It's pretty retarded street rap, but the beats are all made by these indie producers so they aren't really club oriented at all. You'd expect him to be a bit more lyrical and observational given the content of his beats, but he sounds pretty uninspired and dry. It's not convincingly hard, and it's not clever - I'm not really sure what he's trying to accomplish on a lot of these tracks.

It seems like a lot of people are on his dick because of the Dilla endorsement in the good reviews I've read. He's getting a lot of bad reviews though.

"Get Bitches" was alright - the beat is hard as nails and it is the one point on the album where the track matches up with what he's doing. Way too short though.

I like the Dilla produced one too, "I Must Love You", it's nice, good little story most people can relate to. Those "la la las" are a bit cringey though.

The Future is pretty sick too.

The rest was a little dry. Madlibs beats are heavy across this whole album and aren't done justice by this guy.

I'm amazed this dude is on Stones Throw. He comes like a 10% more interesting G-Unit rapper, minus the club banging production. This is some watered down shit.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Yeah, but...

I thought this album was pretty awful. It's pretty retarded street rap, but the beats are all made by these indie producers so they aren't really club oriented at all. You'd expect him to be a bit more lyrical and observational given the content of his beats, but he sounds pretty uninspired and dry. It's not convincingly hard, and it's not clever - I'm not really sure what he's trying to accomplish on a lot of these tracks.

It seems like a lot of people are on his dick because of the Dilla endorsement in the good reviews I've read. He's getting a lot of bad reviews though.

"Get Bitches" was alright - the beat is hard as nails and it is the one point on the album where the track matches up with what he's doing. Way too short though.

I like the Dilla produced one too, "I Must Love You", it's nice, good little story most people can relate to. Those "la la las" are a bit cringey though.

The Future is pretty sick too.

The rest was a little dry. Madlibs beats are heavy across this whole album and aren't done justice by this guy.

I'm amazed this dude is on Stones Throw. He comes like a 10% more interesting G-Unit rapper, minus the club banging production. This is some watered down shit.

Guilty doesn't do a lot for me but over the years he's had some legendary guest appearances and he's pretty much an Underground God that is revered in Detroit. Right now Detroit is running shit. His affiliation with Dilla, Black Milk, Karriem Riggins, Madlib, Oh No and Roc C got him a deal on Stones Throw.

One.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
No problem

I don't know much at all about Detroit's underground at all. Care to recommend anything really good?

Finale & Spier1200 presents Develop
Black Milk & Fat Ray-The Set Up
C.R.A.C. Knuckles-The Piece Talks (produced by Ta'Raach)
Waajeed presents The War LP
Buff1-Pure
Black Milk-Sound Of The City/Popular Demand
Elzhi-Watch My Growth 97-04/Unreleased Solo Project (Quotes)
Ta'Raach & The Lovelution-The Fevers
Phat Kat-Carte Blanche
Caltroit-Black Milk & Bishop Lamont f/Guilty Simpson, Illa J, etc.
Royce Da 5'9"-The Bar Exam
Athletic Mic League-Isolation EP
Dabrye-Two/Three
Lawless Element-Soundvision: In Stereo
Platinum Pied Pipers-Triple P
T3-The Olio Mixtape
Slum Village-Slum Village
Illa J-EP

Coming in 2008:

Invincible-ShapeShifters
Baatin-Titus
Platinum Pied Pipers-Abundance

That's good to start.

One.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Finale & Spier1200 presents Develop
Black Milk & Fat Ray-The Set Up
C.R.A.C. Knuckles-The Piece Talks (produced by Ta'Raach)
Waajeed presents The War LP
Buff1-Pure
Black Milk-Sound Of The City/Popular Demand
Elzhi-Watch My Growth 97-04/Unreleased Solo Project (Quotes)
Ta'Raach & The Lovelution-The Fevers
Phat Kat-Carte Blanche
Caltroit-Black Milk & Bishop Lamont f/Guilty Simpson, Illa J, etc.
Royce Da 5'9"-The Bar Exam
Athletic Mic League-Isolation EP
Dabrye-Two/Three
Lawless Element-Soundvision: In Stereo
Platinum Pied Pipers-Triple P
T3-The Olio Mixtape
Slum Village-Slum Village
Illa J-EP

Coming in 2008:

Invincible-ShapeShifters
Baatin-Titus
Platinum Pied Pipers-Abundance