emo bashing in Mexico

vimothy

yurp
Mob violence = fascism without the pseudo-intellectualism

Fucking evil wankers, just imagine doing that to someone -- it's horrible.

STN

sou'wester
I cannot begin to imagine being so stupid that I would become sufficiently angry at someone else's clothes that I would physically assault them. This reminds me of those goths who got brutally attacked over here not long ago.

By 'over here' I mean in England, not dissensus.

john eden

male pale and stale
Mob violence = fascism without the pseudo-intellectualism

We should be more like this mexican -

"The danger is that hate is permeating more and more into Mexican society," wrote commentator Hugo Garcia in the Mexican daily Milenio. "We should not forget that intolerant violence leads to fascism."

vimothy

yurp
I cannot begin to imagine being so stupid that I would become sufficiently angry at someone else's clothes that I would physically assault them. This reminds me of those goths who got brutally attacked over here not long ago.

Yeah, that poor girl (and friend of a friend) who was beaten to death in Bacup by two fucking evil witless little cunts as she cradled her boyfriends bleeding head. God I hate people sometimes.

vimothy

yurp
"The banality of evil"

I'm finding it hard to read about that any more. Stuff like, "He said that when Harris was initially interviewed about the assaults he was "laughing and joking" with his mother." The way it started with Sophie and Robert giving them cigarettes -- so mundane and typical of teenage thugs who start by trying to be semi-nice, with you complying out of fear. "Yeah, have a cigarrette mate." Then you get stoved in. Like a Burroughs con or a Shane Meadows scene. Happens so often when you are young and surrounded by other young people who really don't care. I'm not at all worried about people my own age, but I am worried about getting stabbed by some brainless little sixteen year old off one of the estates.

zhao

there are no accidents
Zhao's comment is a good example of the sort of joke that might be made in private translating very, very badly in public.

yes... awfully insensitive of me. was a stupid joke. and dodgy and in bad taste. of course i don't mean to condone anything even remotely resembling this sort of thing.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
This reminds me of those goths who got brutally attacked over here not long ago.

By 'over here' I mean in England, not dissensus.

Or perhaps a long history of subcultures over here beating the shit out of each other from skinheads, to mods, to rockers, to punks, to teds, to football hooligans? Smashing the enemy has been a pretty central part of cultural identification in British youth for a while.

Last edited:

vimothy

yurp
Or perhaps a long history of subcultures over here beating the shit out of each other from skinheads, to mods, to rockers, to punks, to teds, to football hooligans? Smashing the enemy has been a pretty central part of cultural identification in British youth for a while.

Reminds me more of growing up in a shitty little town in the North West where people would attack you for looking different, not because you were both part of rival sub-cultures (we didn't have sub-cultures in Haughton Green) -- basically because you were wearing a Godflesh t-shirt (or whatever) and they were not, and there were lots of them and one of you, and they wanted to fight and you didn't.

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man

That is the case and it's an example of the old and played out {Metalheads,Punks and Rockers} laying into a cult that is younger,more vital and gets more attention.

These are blokes trying to cling onto their youth seeing younger prettier men than themselves,looking good and pulling the girls they wish would give them the time of day.

They feel anger and resentment as a result.

Add to the fact that the androgynous look of the Emo may elicit repressed homosexual urges in some and result in a desire to punish the individual who has 'flicked a switch' in their subconscious.

Hey!ugly old men.Leave those emo's alone!

http://www.myspace.com/thekandytangerineman

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Yes of course there's a tradition of conflict between various sub-cultures. In some way, but not this way, it's good that people should make these things matter. But things are a bit different. Blokes beating up girls? Did punks / teds / mods / rockers ever actually kill each other over their differences?

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I'm not at all worried about people my own age, but I am worried about getting stabbed by some brainless little sixteen year old off one of the estates.
Some people, kids, some of them are really fucked up. They're walking around with fucked up attitudes, a lot of hate, anger, fear. That's all they know.

martin

----
Blokes beating up girls? Did punks / teds / mods / rockers ever actually kill each other over their differences?

There probably wasn't intent to kill, but then again, soul boys or teds ambushing punks with metal bars and knives - it wasn't exactly ensuring that the violence didn't spiral to catastrophic proportions...some people did get killed, I can remember a punk being pushed onto rail tracks once.

But the thing about punk (as I remember it in North London), it was taken as a given that a lot of people would hate you, so there was a preparedness for trouble at certain spots. My advice to Goths is take up boxing, it can't hurt.

I can remember in Luton, as 'alternatives', (used in the loosest sense of the term) you would get a bit of verbal from casuals, but the main problem came from 'normal' blokes, in their late 20s or 30s and some married, walking back home at closing time.

swears

preppy-kei
As a runty teenager I got a some lip off gangs of harder kids, sometimes they'd do that slightly sarcastic acting nice thing before they kicked off. The best way to deal with it was just to act a bit thick and puzzled by their interest in you, as if it was strange (without being openly annoyed) and give non-committal, vague answers to any of their snide questions.

vimothy

yurp
When I was younger, I had friends who just went completely off their heads at anyone vaguely getting nasty -- just headbutt them, then boot them in the balls, and then kick the shit out of them while they're lying on the floor in tears. Be prepared to be the one who goes massively over the line and no one will go near you. Never really appealed to me, though.

Benny Bunter

As a runty teenager I got a some lip off gangs of harder kids, sometimes they'd do that slightly sarcastic acting nice thing before they kicked off. The best way to deal with it was just to act a bit thick and puzzled by their interest in you, as if it was strange (without being openly annoyed) and give non-committal, vague answers to any of their snide questions.

Like your style! I've managed to avoid getting brayed on several occasions using a similar technique. It makes them all :confused:

Transpontine

history is made at night
Seemingly there have been similar incidents in Chile:

http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/35463

I think there is a difference between:

- inter-subcultural conflict (mods and rockers for instance) which is nasty but often self-dramatised, relatively equally matched and with implicit limits - a bit like punch ups between football firms;

- persecution of minorities by majority cultures (albeit with the boots of the majority culture often being worn by working class blokes).

Of course there is an added complexity now in that the formerly global dominant/majority culture of masculine dominance is now being sidelined by a global metrosexual capitalist culture - at least at the level of media representation. Well Marx did say that capitalism was progressive up to a point, not sure if this was what he had in mind.