Video of shock wave propagating through the Sun's atmosphere!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well the article is today's, though there could have been similar reports in the past, of course.

Yeah, the thing on Saturn is great! Standing waves for the win.

swears

preppy-kei
The new BBC news page looks rubbish. It looks more dated than the last one somehow, I don't like it one bit.

No wonder we have all this global warming, what with the sun being so hot!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The new BBC news page looks rubbish. It looks more dated than the last one somehow, I don't like it one bit.

Yeah, I thought there was someting wrong with FireFox on my laptop at home, then I came into the office and it looks the same on the 'puters here. You're right, it does have an almost "nineties" feel to it.

You jest, but there are people seriously trying to blame the whole thing on 'solar variation'.

Not keen at all. Appears to be designed for the hard of thinking, the dense of head. I liked the old newsblast with multiple stories under each heading.

The BBC's muddy weather map looked awful at first, though, but it works really well now.

swears

preppy-kei
You jest, but there are people seriously trying to blame the whole thing on 'solar variation'.

Hasn't "solar variation" been responsible for climate change in the past? But we know that the climate has risen in proportion with the amount of carbon dioxide emitted by industry since the industrial revolution, right? Unless it's just a massive coincidence.

One of my friends says that we don't know the truth about climate change because scientists "used to think crop-circles were real". :confused:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hasn't "solar variation" been responsible for climate change in the past? But we know that the climate has risen in proportion with the amount of carbon dioxide emitted by industry since the industrial revolution, right? Unless it's just a massive coincidence.

One of my friends says that we don't know the truth about climate change because scientists "used to think crop-circles were real". :confused:

The sun's power output does vary, certainly; there's an 11-year cycle (which, being a cycle, ought not to be affecting global trends from decade to decade, right?) and more long-term variation, though I gather this is thought to be much too small to explain the observed temperature change, even though it may be exacerbating it.

300px-Solar-cycle-data.png

Also, I love the idea that someone can "not believe" in crop circles. I imagine taking your friend to a field with a crop circle in it and s/he just covering his/her eyes and going "Na na na na na, it's not there, it's not there!".

swears

preppy-kei
He thinks scientists used to think they were made by aliens. 'Cause it's so unlikely that humans could develop advanced technology like a plank of wood with a bit of string tied to it to stomp down some wheat.

Wasn't there a period of very cold weather in the Victorian era when the Thames froze over every winter for a few years? Wasn't the last ice age somnething to do with the earth's orbit?

I dunno about all this science business, eh.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, there was the 'little ice age' from the end of the middle ages up to about the middle of the 19th centurys, so there was a period of natural warming from 1850 or so onwards, but the warming that's occurred over the last 100 years is thought to be much too rapid to be explained by the natural rebound from a cold period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_ice_age and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_ice_age#End_of_Little_Ice_Age

Also, crop circles are the stigmata of the Great Mother, I thought everyone knew that? :eek:

Wasn't there a period of very cold weather in the Victorian era when the Thames froze over every winter for a few years? Wasn't the last ice age somnething to do with the earth's orbit?

There was a weir, in the shape of old london bridge, on the Thames at the time which a)slowed the river down and b)lowered salinity, both of which helped it freeze. Still, it must have been fuckin BALTIC for the Thames to freeze.

More about ye olde froste fayers here