Klaus Dinger R.I.P.

polystyle

The man made some beats in his time ...
and you hear more Dinger Neu! rhythms these days
Respect and RIP Dinger

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Stink buzz. Haven't actually heard anything he did more recently than Neu!'s first album, but love his style on that and the old Kraftwerk stuff. Always attracted to that machine-like (but not programmed) thing in music. Definitely easy to hear (imagine?) his influence in a wide range of places, from post-punky things contemporary to Neu! through to recent (real post-rock?) oddities like Radian to techy stuff (Antiguo Automata Mexicano opened their excellent album from last year with a track called Röther, Dinger, You and Me).

Chris

fractured oscillations
:(

the man defined motorik

yeah it's amazing how many bands and genres his chugging, minimal sensibility influenced in some way... he, and Rother, were onto something so universal that their style was almost a missing link between various opposing sonic camps... a model and ethic that I don't even think a lot of bands, esp British punks, necessarily even realized they were continuing... That's quite an accomplishment when artists' influences can set such an intrinsic precedent in so wide a spectrum...

zhao

there are no accidents
kraft_dinger.jpg

German electro-pop pioneer Klaus Dinger has died of heart failure. He was 61.

The former Kraftwerk and Neu! drummer passed away on March 21st, a spokesperson for Neu!’s label Gronland announced on Wednesday.

Dinger was a member of Kraftwerk in the early 1970s; he and guitarist Michael Rother left the group to form another influential band, Neu! Neu! recorded three albums before splitting up in the mid-1970s. Dinger and Rother reunited in the studio in the mid-1980s for a fourth Neu! album, which was released a decade later in 1995.

Dinger formed La Dusseldorf, who had hits with Silver Cloud and Rheinita, following his initial tenure with Neu! In a statement paying tribute to his musical colleague, Rother says: "Together with many friends of his music I will remember Klaus for his creativity as an artist and I will think about him with gratitude for his wonderful contributions to our project Neu!"

rest in peace

N

nomadologist

Terrible news. Truly one of the greatest krautrockers and one of my alltime favorite musicians. :(

I hope there's a better place somewhere and he's in it.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Last edited:

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
That Thomas Dinger song man like DJ Bunnyhausen played on the radio this Friday is great, I'd forgotten about that. The perfect tribute.

spooky girlfriend

Wild Horses
motorik majesty
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
there's a pretty fantastic Eno quote that I'll paraphrase as I can't remember it. something along the lines of "there were 3 great beats of the 70s; James Brown's switch over to the downbeat to create funk, Fela/Tony Allen's "endless groove" & Klaus Dinger's motorik," - I don't know as that's totally accurate (I might add the Moroder 4/4 pulse myself as well & something from JA as well - the One Drop? I dunno enough about reggae to pick one beat/riddim out as genre defining) but I think it sums up Dinger's importance pretty well.

craner

Beast of Burden
padraig (u.s.)

Ha ha! One of the peculiar historical quirks unique to Dissensus is how loaded this rather lovely Irish name has become.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
oh?

padraig (u.s.)

Ha ha! One of the peculiar historical quirks unique to Dissensus is how loaded this rather lovely Irish name has become.

ahh - don't hesitate to enlighten me. it's just a family thing in my case but as I'm new to Dissensus I had no idea that "padraig" had any baggage attached to it.

D

droid

I don't know as that's totally accurate (I might add the Moroder 4/4 pulse myself as well & something from JA as well - the One Drop? I dunno enough about reggae to pick one beat/riddim out as genre defining) but I think it sums up Dinger's importance pretty well.

70s dub and reggae was dominated by one rhythm: ROCKERS!

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Somehow hadn't seen this before but it's rather wonderful on several levels.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>