The Waterboys

STN

sou'wester
Are they actually good? I always refuse to believe the bald music journo lauding of Mike Scott and assume they are just sub-Dexy's fiddle-di-dee folly. Am I being foolish?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
there's more to them than the fiddle-di-dee stuff, but good is probably stretching it a little.

STN

sou'wester
I can't say I find the idea of an 'earlier, rock-orientated sound' hugely appealing either.

The influence of Nikki Sudden piqued my interest, not that he's infallible or anything.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I love them, but then I would, wouldn't I.

In other news, I have been listening to Planxty's Words and Music almost constantly for the last week.

STN

sou'wester
I sort of imagine them as being worse than Dexy's, better than New Model Army.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Oh, and I'm with the good Doctor Stuart Borthwick on Dexy's - absolutely fantastic band, few better.

I am given to understand that John Eden recently made a critical comment about Van Morrisson.

Steps will be taken.

STN

sou'wester
I don't mind Van Morrison but there is no denying he is a fat wanker.

I like that live LP he did but my dad was playing some of the later stuff in his car and it made me want to hurl myself onto the motorway.

Things which are deemed 'celtic' in popular culture should be handled with care, I think.

STN

sou'wester
The one about 'Saxon' had me going "WTF?!?", like there was some sort of NWOBHM revival being spearheaded here, or something. :D

Sorry were you under the impression we were talking about Mike Scott's group? You've never heard of the other Waterboys? God, some people!

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Ah, New Model Army!

Terrible fans.

Probably the best time I saw them was at a freezing cold open air gig outside Leeds Town Hall - IIRC, it was a long time ago. Fucking mental.

I still think "Green and Grey" rocks.

"White Coats" is just awful.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I think "The Whole of the Moon" was one of the early baleric records i.e. Danny Rampling used to play it when Eed off his tits in 1987, alongside "Sledgehammer", Tulio de Piscopo and sundry other euro/pop/rock classics.

Whether that makes it any good or not, I've no idea.

vimothy

yurp
I think "The Whole of the Moon" was one of the early baleric records i.e. Danny Rampling used to play it when Eed off his tits in 1987, alongside "Sledgehammer", Tulio de Piscopo and sundry other euro/pop/rock classics.

Whether that makes it any good or not, I've no idea.

I hate it.