tiiAMD4TJ61kvkwurE7TJrDw_500.jpg
ctt_type.jpg
newzald.gif
PANSONIC_20.gif

PANSONIC_11.gif

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Ooh, nice one - I got halfway down and thought "There HAS to be some Arabic script in here somewhere" and there it was, of course - I really like the scripts a lot of Indian languages are written in, too.

One thing worth mentioning is this graphic artist who does titles for books and things, where the word is visually palindromic, i.e. if you rotate the word by 180 degrees it looks exactly the same as it did before. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that he's done is Clive Barker's Arabat:

7580676.jpg

Look at the title, then try rotating it in your head half a turn. :)

zhao

there are no accidents
that's interesting Tea. did you also read that article about it doesn't matter the order of letters in a word you can read it anyway? i think it's as long as first and last letter are in place... pretty shocking when i first heard of it -- and it's true.

SUF CLEAN INBOX!!!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yup, it's surprisingly easy to understand what the text is meant to say even though it ought to look like gobbledegook. Also, English is still largely intelligible f y wrt wth ll th vwls tkn t nd jst th cnsnnts lft - whereas in a more 'vowel-intensive' langauge like French you'd have no chance.

Also, a typography thread isn't complete without this:

bollocks.jpg

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Those initial posts are some of the coolest stuff I've seen on this forum, fantastic.

I was looking at the Japanese zen calligraphy and the early Korean printed stuff in the British Museum today and thinking of this thread...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I gather that the really beautiful Arabic calligraphy came about as a result of the Islamic ban on figurative art - neat how forbidding one sort of expression caused the evolution of another.

Tugra_Mahmuds_II.gif

zhao

there are no accidents
I gather that the really beautiful Arabic calligraphy came about as a result of the Islamic ban on figurative art - neat how forbidding one sort of expression caused the evolution of another.

Tugra_Mahmuds_II.gif

that is an interesting way of looking at it and the idea does ring true on some level. for instance some have postulated that the many amazing qualities of Iranian films of the 60s-80s were partially a result of heavy state censorship.

but i'm not sure if the arab culture would not have had amazing caligraphy AS WELL AS figurative art if the later wasn't banned (the chinese did). as there would have been different or additional amazing qualities in Iranian cinema if it did not operate under the watchful eye of the government.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>