Real Lyrics.

Woebot

So rarely outside of Grime does one hear lyrics that are shockingly real. Big up Riko, Dogzilla and Wiley.

Its always:

• I'm loaded.
• Whining "Why don't you love me baby?"
• I am so weird and abstract.
• The government is wrong.
• I can make strange noises.

What about:

• I haven't got a pot to piss in and the bills are piling up.
• Singing isn't my day-job.
• I'm very troubled about my health.
• I love my Aunt.
• I'll never get it together with that girl cos I don't want to hurt my boyfriend.

Stuff that makes you wince is much better.

martin

----
Excellent! And how about

* I went to see a new-age hypnotherapist in Finchley who advised me I could cure my impotence by simply abstaining from any sort of sexual activity (solo or otherwise) for two months, and giving up coke

* I went to a really great party last night but now I've woken up hungover at 2pm on Sunday and I'm plagued by a strange feeling of guilt and I'm too scared to go out to buy a paper cos someone might kill me and it's freezing cold

* Every time I'm down the studio and make a suggestion about a track, everyone else just talks over me. I feel like I'm invisible. What's their fucking problem? Or am I just irrelevant? Would they even notice if I just walked out now?

* I'm shit scared of pigeons

* When I'm freestyling with Lady Sovereign, I can't stop imagining what she'd look like in a purple wig and a nazi uniform

* My flat's a tip, I'm too lazy to cook and I owe about £40 in overdue DVD rental fines - but damn me if I'm not going to sit back and drink this six-pack of White Lightning

bassnation

the abyss
martin said:
Excellent! And how about

* I went to see a new-age hypnotherapist in Finchley who advised me I could cure my impotence by simply abstaining from any sort of sexual activity (solo or otherwise) for two months, and giving up coke

* I went to a really great party last night but now I've woken up hungover at 2pm on Sunday and I'm plagued by a strange feeling of guilt and I'm too scared to go out to buy a paper cos someone might kill me and it's freezing cold

* Every time I'm down the studio and make a suggestion about a track, everyone else just talks over me. I feel like I'm invisible. What's their fucking problem? Or am I just irrelevant? Would they even notice if I just walked out now?

* I'm shit scared of pigeons

* When I'm freestyling with Lady Sovereign, I can't stop imagining what she'd look like in a purple wig and a nazi uniform

* My flat's a tip, I'm too lazy to cook and I owe about £40 in overdue DVD rental fines - but damn me if I'm not going to sit back and drink this six-pack of White Lightning

LOL. i'd very much like to hear music based around these sentiments, it would make the streets look positively pedestrian!

originaldrum

from start till done
bassnation said:
LOL. i'd very much like to hear music based around these sentiments, it would make the streets look positively pedestrian!

yeah it's good aye,

kind of reminds me of "the manor boys" (philly t & richard - anyone who know nofuture/erutufon knows!)

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
My favorite one in this area is Dogzilla's line about "I wear Joe Bloggs ..... that's why the girl's run away". Looking cool is kinda a holy grail for urban music, but here he freely admits that he's not looking so sharp. That's real.

That J2K lyric on Aim High 2 about juggling his debts and getting red letters is cool too.

LRJP!

(Between Blank & Boring)
WOEBOT said:
So rarely outside of Grime does one hear lyrics that are shockingly real. Big up Riko, Dogzilla and Wiley.

Its always:

• I'm loaded.
• Whining "Why don't you love me baby?"
• I am so weird and abstract.
• The government is wrong.
• I can make strange noises.

You could maybes add

• Check Out My Belief System
• I’m Hung Up On A Fairly Limited Canon Of Genre Fiction
• The Government Is Great

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
How about:

If I have to send one more business email consisting solely of platitudes, I think I might just hurl myself out of that window over there. Then something will have to change. No, they'll probably just put an ad in the paper and replace me.

Everything is slowly turning to shit while I sit here in my pyjamas watching a repeat of Trisha - still, never mind, Richard and Judy is up next.

That man sitting opposite me on the Tube looks kind of scary. Please God don't let him talk to me. Shit. Was he just speaking to himself or was that a question directed at me?

What if I quoted a line from Wittgenstein at that man I don't know over there? What then? What the hell would happen?

I wonder if everyone else hears voices in their head?

She's so attractive and yet she's just told me that she really likes Travis. Surely there is a contradiction in the space-time continuum somewhere?

Absolutely love Kanye's lyrics on 'All Falls Down' about the fact that he can't even go to the corner store without putting his good clothes on, or something.

blissblogger

need a new new wave?

>• The Government Is Great

been done. david byrne, that one about don't worry about the government

but yeah there should be more political songs written from voter-apathy type positions or complacency, defniitely

the new wave era was full of this sort of quirky observational, "whole new areas of content" for lyric-writing, deliberately mundane, -- jilted john, wreckless eric, ian dury, jona lewie, john cooper clarke, squeeze, lot of the 2-tone stuff.

madness were kings of it, songs about embarassment and tiffs with your girlfriend and commuting and not wanting to get out of bed

has "pedestrianism" really gone into abeyance? (i wouldn't know, i don't really keep up with singer-songwritery stuff)

really it's only mike skinner doing anything like that -- the first song on the last album, about not getting it together, failing to take back the dvds or do any of his tasks for that day

he's a new wave/2tone throwback, totally

martin

----
The UK DIY groups were also experts at detailing "real life" with Asperger's-style precision. "Don't Crush Bees With Your Walking Stick" by Wavis O' Shave was one of the best anti-violence songs ever recorded. Also, you have to admire the Scissor Fits for writing songs like "A Small One" about public toilet paranoia, and "I Don't Wanna Work For British Airways", at the same time that everyone else was getting angry about Pershing. I still rate the Desperate Bicycles' "I Make The Product" and can't think of a better song recorded about the sheer pointlessness and loneliness of working in a factory. Even though I dislike their music, similar kudos to Door and the Window for knocking out a protest song called "Dads" ("They can't understand the way I live!"). The Discounts' "Selling Records" is a good one about a completely jaded bloke working in a record shop, who just spends the whole song talking nonsense about his stock ("New records...disco records...all the records in the world, on one record", )etc.

LRJP!

(Between Blank & Boring)
blissblogger said:
>• The Government Is Great

been done. david byrne, that one about don't worry about the government

yeah. i was thining of that one and less-ironic-more-reactionary Country records too; i was adding to the Always list...

S

simon silverdollar

i think that there should be lots more songs about buildings and food.

also, didn't steve albini used to say that people should write songs about 3 cushion billiards, as its the most graceful and beautiful thing a human can do? i liked that.

steve albini should have a blog. it'd be amazing.

mms

sometimes
true
albini did a song about how amazing aeroplanes are. which is about the best subject anyone can base a song on.

i want to hear a song about the self healing cellular structure of worms and also the amazing quick freeze/ quick thaw qualities of the tardigrade.

i'm keen on hearing a dubstep track that celebrates the use of ultrasonics in nature, especially elephants and fish.

i also want to hear a concept album about the enigma of jenny bond, ex bbc royal correspondent.

hint

party record with a siren
simon silverdollar said:
steve albini should have a blog. it'd be amazing.

both albini and his staff post in his studio's forum quite often: http://www.electrical.com

lots of studio chatter, lots of kids being flamed for asking questions about nirvana, but the occasional chuckle / gem to be had in amongst it all.... I like the concept of the dedicated crap / not crap forum.

Backjob

Back in the day, blah blah blah...

But Rotary Connection:

"Want you to know you made me happy, want you to know you made me sad, want you to know that you are the best thing that I ever had"

Just says it all, straight out. Beautiful business that is. No frills, no pretence, straight out with it, and you know that it's true.

Woebot

bassnation said:

yeah c'mon martin lets be having your first EP