unbelivably awful news

bun-u

Trumpet Police
I was a devout listener aged 14-18 or so and despite his show’s wearing a bit thin on me since then, his role in British underground music (and for that matter American underground music – sub pop/Nirvana! And that of plenty of other places) is pretty much unrivalled.

hint

party record with a siren
the guy changed my life

an example of how to do the right thing, the right way for the right reasons

an inspiration

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
I never even heard his show and I still feel bad just from hearing what records he played. Pretty crazy when you think about the fact that he was heard all over Britain.

satanmcnugget

his impact even here in North America was immeasurable...one of those deaths that shock the bejeesus out of ya because i just plain never thought he'd die...a legend

grimly fiendish

i really didn't realise it was possible to be so devastated by the death of someone i never actually knew.

i suppose what really cuts me up is that, after all these years, he'd become a constant. and constants aren't meant to die.

RIP john. and thank you.

cnwb

So many celebrity deaths flow though the news every day. Some I take more notice of than others, but the height of my sympathy is usually just a "oh, that's sad" thought and then moving on. But every now and then, the passing away of someone I never knew, hits me - makes me stare off into the distance, unable to concentrate on reading the rest of the news, and haunts me throughout the coming days. John Fahey's death did that, and now another great bearded one. I listed to his show via Realplayer, and fell in love with his show, his style, his demeanor. He seemed like the kinda uncle you wished you had, someone you could discuss anything with, from Mark E. Smith's lyrics to some girl you've got a crush on. Sad news indeed.

mms

sometimes
grimly fiendish said:
i really didn't realise it was possible to be so devastated by the death of someone i never actually knew.

i suppose what really cuts me up is that, after all these years, he'd become a constant. and constants aren't meant to die.

RIP john. and thank you.

thats just it isn't it?
You get so used to having someone on the radio all the time since you discovered his show , presenting you with so many choices and actually playing music you like and are interested in that it feels impossible.
The horrible nightmareish fact is that no one is there ready to fill his shoes.