Dinner Party Music

mixed_biscuits

A DJ Spooky jazz mash-up was politely well-received last night but Aufgehoben ( ) soon unsettled the audience, forcing the insertion of French folk music (the philistines).

Anyone managed to get away with politely muted Happy Hardcore?

zhao

there are no accidents
What have people foisted upon their unsuspecting guests in the way of ambient music?

A DJ Spooky jazz mash-up was politely well-received last night but Aufgehoben ( ) soon unsettled the audience, forcing the insertion of French folk music (the philistines).

Anyone managed to get away with politely muted Happy Hardcore?

french folk music sound lovely. rather childish IMO for you to try interjecting your nerdy obsession with dissonant percussive noise by way of Aufgehoben on your unsuspecting guests. (why don't you just play the new Skull Disco 12)

my choice for dinner parties is usually jazz piano, like monk solo or any number of other classic or modern artists. i find this goes very well with conversation, and is a nice balance of upbeat and calm at the same time. sometimes with reeds, but always mellow, maybe some Lenny Tristano or Warne Marsh.

and tea and desert after would be an assortment of ethnic musics. african, latin, asian, etc.

swears

preppy-kei
I went to a poker game/dinner party recently, soundtracked by the nu-metal hits of my youth.

zhao

there are no accidents
see, my philosophy is everything in its right place.

rocking music while conversing with friends at home not only hinders the relaxation and conversation, but also will make proper rock-out sessions less special.

Jonesy

Wild Horses
Portishead's 'Dummy' of course!

I'd have to go with Zhao on the jazz. You need the balance of keeping things 'up' without having anything too intrusive as was said. Listened to closely good jazz is of course very engaging but at the right volume it can work it's magic as..gulp.. background music. Anything too Ambient might have your guests' heads in their soup before things get going.

zhao

there are no accidents
Portishead's 'Dummy' of course!

i know you're joking but that is the most appetite destroying music i can think of.

more on jazz: an air of familiarity and warmth is important. what you want is a feeling which brings people closer together rather than have your guests feeling alienated or even stand offish... but that's just weird old me.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Old blues stuff. Muddy Waters or something. Not in the least boring, but not in-yer-face either.

mixed_biscuits

I was testing the limits, pushing the boundaries, steaming open the envelope. :cool:

mixed_biscuits

wonk_vitesse

radio eros

:):):) Aufgehoben? this made me laf, i know their guitarist and we were both agreeing how much 'level' there was on their album the other day, can't think of anything less 'dinner' , how about a Ethiopiques compilation.

mixed_biscuits

You should tell him to get their next album mastered a bit louder - it needs a little more 'oomph'. ;)

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
oh forgot to mention:

dj spooky is not appropriate for ANY occasion, social or private.

in fact, it is not appropriate to bring up his name. i think people should be banned for it.

mixed_biscuits

in fact, it is not appropriate to bring up his name. i think people should be banned for it.

I'm all for being banned - a sabbatical from the board would allow me to dedicate myself to a close reading of DJ Spooky's philosophical writings.

zhao

there are no accidents
dedicate myself to a close reading of DJ Spooky's philosophical writings.

1190209926318wo3.gif

mms

sometimes
last time someone came to my house for dinner i put on south of heaven by slayer, the slower album after reign in blood.

dominic

Beast of Burden
i am not a good enough dj to play clubs (mixing?!?!???). however, i do often dj at restaurants, usually starting around 9 pm, with diners still dining as late as 1:30 (to be replaced by drinkers until 4). and i play whatever i damn well please, though i usually keep things on an atmospheric rock/synthpop/balearic tip until about 11 pm or so . . . .

and then house, early rave, disco, some 2-step garage, my bloody valentine and other uk rock

of course, my music collection is NOT nearly as radical as the stereotypical dissensian's . . . .

not sure if this is helpful?

Last edited: