songs spoilt by poor choice of vocalist

mixed_biscuits

Does anyone else have any songs or albums that would be favourites but for the contribution of an ill-chosen vocalist (the assumption being that others could easily have been considered for the job)?

Benny Bunter

I remember that album. God it was shit...

Can't think of a particular example, but I reckon there's tons of Rnb stuff with great grooves, ruined by all that sickly melismatic singing.

mixed_biscuits

STN

sou'wester
Accident Causer by LV and Dandelion. Yungun is so cringeworthy on that tune it makes me want to stab myself with a brick.

tom pr

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

i love everything about this song past the rap, which is shit. or are bad guest raps too obvious?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'd love to get an instrumental version of Front Line Assembly's 'This Faith' - it's a cracking EBM tune spoiled somewhat by Bill Leeb's 'Tesco Value Andrew Eldritch' vocals and cheesy lyrics.

straight

wings cru
I remember that album. God it was shit....

I wouldnt go that far, i did enjoy it at the time . I do remember getting and checking to make sure I had the right record it was so out of character. Would have been massive a few months later in the electroclash blow up. I was thinking about how a band im doing some PR work for at the minute sound like the shit half of that album. Did it ever come out as an instrumental?

As for shit vocals im goin straight for warrior queen's 'check it'. Took an awful lot of MDMA to make that sound good at sonar.

And most of Timberlake/Timbaland's output

Last edited:
S

simon silverdollar

just find him a bit boring (and a bit pompous sounding), really, and i think it's a real shame that kode9 uses him so heavily, as the production on that album is incredible.

Benny Bunter

I actually really like Spaceape now he's grown on me a lot, but I can see how he'd grind on people I suppose. I agree it would have been nice to have a dub version of the album (on vinyl natch).

How about most of Tricky's 'Nearly God' album. I could have done without all those collaborations. Him and Martine should have kept it for themselves, then there would have been three classic Tricky albums.

Ivan Conte

Wild Horses
I also quite like Spaceape... but I agree that his voice is maybe too present in the Kode9 album. A mix of instrumental and vocal tracks would have worked better IMO. I'm not saying I don't like that album, though, because I actually love it, but it's not flawless.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
just find him a bit boring (and a bit pompous sounding), really, and i think it's a real shame that kode9 uses him so heavily, as the production on that album is incredible.

Really, I thought the album was really, really poor but I was expecting something amazing and I don't think you can lay the blame squarely at SA door.

Spaceape has got some skills and I don't even like MC's.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
All those really good remixes where the producer was contractually obliged to include the original vocal but really didn't want to. And then the dub only came out on a rare one-sided disc jockey only promo.

Amplesamples

I hate it when you get a house track that suddenly gets an inappropriate diva on it for a chart remix. I'm thinking of something like Love Story by Layo & Bushwhacka. Not an amazing tune, but one that's totally ruined by the rubbish singing and sax solo - that wasn't in the original when I heard it in The End.

Talking of sax solos, anyone heard the awful sax solo on Carl Craig's live version of At Les? Or maybe this could be a new thread - worst sax solo?