Rock Against Racism '08

martin

----
Anyone here going? I'm thinking of heading down there. Might run into the odd cunt from Respect or the SWP, but some of the acts actually seem alright

crackerjack

I'd comppletely blocked it out till i realised Good, Bad & Queen have been drafted into replace the dreaded babybollocks. Got a mate's 40th earlier that day, but Viccy Pk is right next door so it would seem daft not to go for the headliners at least.

Jonesy

Wild Horses
Anyone here going? I'm thinking of heading down there. Might run into the odd cunt from Respect or the SWP, but some of the acts actually seem alright

Or the odd feminist. So remember to wash your potty-mouth out before you go down there.

ripley

Real feminists don't object to 'cunt', it's only liberal wets who cry over that one

sorry, I missed the memo on who is or isn't a real feminist - mind posting the approved list? and is that you that made it? cos I missed it. Maybe that's why I wasn't notified of the new rule that feminists don't challenge sexist use of language any more. It must be because we've won! Hoorah! drinks all round! I'll just pop off to pick up my reparations check for lost wages (while walking naked down the street with no fear of harassment or worse) forthwith.

no seriously. re "cunt" - using it as an insult? boringly sexist. reclaiming it as a positive term? at least well-meaning..

let's not get into the apparently mind-bogglingly complicated distinction between rehashing the same old sexist terminology in a way that reinforces sexism (by relying on sexism to support the negative meaning), and using a word in a way that REVERSES the negative connotation. :slanted:

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Indeed some of them are quite partial... :D

*scarpers*

:):):)

I'm going - to prove how saintly and pure my thoughts are regarding all races..like, you know, the United Colours of Benetton...like ebony and ivory...like imagine all the people...raises hands, holds up lighter...etc..

martin

----
No, what it comes down to is YOU personally find it offensive and don't want to hear it, so you'll brand anyone who uses it* as 'sexist', regardless of the word's origin, subsequent mutation and the intent in the usage.

(*unless they're a musician, artist or someone you respect, in which case it's highly provocative, challenging, etc)

IdleRich

IdleRich
"no seriously. re "cunt" - using it as an insult? boringly sexist."
Gotta say I've never been able to understand why using "cunt" as an insult is any worse (or any different in any way) from calling someone a "prick", "cock" or "dick" - or "twat" for that matter.
My girlfriend always says she thinks it's actually sexist when people say that "cunt" is somehow worse but that's a different can of worms I guess.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
:):):)

I'm going - to prove how saintly and pure my thoughts are regarding all races..like, you know, the United Colours of Benetton...like ebony and ivory...like imagine all the people...raises hands, holds up lighter...etc..

Aargh, fucking Benetton ads piss me off no end. All those utterly contrived-looking interracial couples all but screaming at you, "If you don't buy our stuff, you're ALMOST CERTAINLY an appalling racist!". Gah.

swears

preppy-kei
Think those Benneton ads were part of high-fashion getting a bit big for its boots in the 90s, and making really deep political statements like "HEY GUYS, PREJUDICE IS BAD". Kinda like when people thought rock music could make a difference, haha.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Think those Benneton ads were part of high-fashion getting a bit big for its boots in the 90s, and making really deep political statements like "HEY GUYS, PREJUDICE IS BAD".

Actually, it's a good thing they did point it out. I might not have noticed otherwise.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There's a great Simpsons episode from yonks back where Homer is being interviewed by a reporter for a news channel, and it's broadcast with the words HOMER SIMPSON, LOCAL BOOB at the bottom of the picture.