US Cops get away with murder

zhao

there are no accidents
http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/04/25/sean.bell.trial/index.html

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A judge acquitted three New York Police Department detectives of all charges Friday morning in the shooting death of an unarmed man in a 50-bullet barrage, hours before he was to be married.

art.bell.cops.jpg

the victim with his fiancee:
t1port.bell.jpg

zhao

there are no accidents
takes 12.3 seconds to fire 31 shots with that gun, as demonstrated here:

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-15443

that one cop fucking RELOADS and empties another cartridge, WITH NO INDICATION OF THREAT from victim.

just insane. and even more insane that he does not get at least manslaughter, though it should be second degree.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Fucking hell, the incident itself sounds like a case of 'ask questions later' taken to a ludicrous degree. Do these cops not realise that if you draw a gun on someone, he's quite likely to believe his life is in danger and panic accordingly? And the verdict is obviously shambolic. What a disgrace.

polystyle

Also having 'cops' come up on you and not have any identifying badges, clothing with gun trained on you doesn't make one want to simply stop and see what's going to happen.
This was disputed by at least one of the cops but having dealt with NYC' finest in bad form , can say that just about anything can happen out there when they are around.
And when there's three of them ...

crackerjack

Fucking hell, the incident itself sounds like a case of 'ask questions later' taken to a ludicrous degree. Do these cops not realise that if you draw a gun on someone, he's quite likely to believe his life is in danger and panic accordingly? And the verdict is obviously shambolic. What a disgrace.

Do police, either here or in US, ever get convicted for shooting unarmed people. I know it doesn't happen often, but I do mean ever. Armed police in the UK threatened to down weapons a few years back when two of their number were charged with shooting that bloke with the table leg.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Do police, either here or in US, ever get convicted for shooting unarmed people. I know it doesn't happen often, but I do mean ever. Armed police in the UK threatened to down weapons a few years back when two of their number were charged with shooting that bloke with the table leg.

I really don't know. What happened in that case with the table leg? Was the bloke brandishing it like a shotgun or something, or was he simply carrying it? I can see how there would be some defence in cases where cops had a justifiable fear that they or other people could be shot, but this case here (like the Jean de Menezes case) seems to be about some poor guy who didn't have a gun or anything that even vaguely looked like a gun, and got shot by cops who were afraid something 'suspicious' was going on. :slanted:

crackerjack

I really don't know. What happened in that case with the table leg? Was the bloke brandishing it like a shotgun or something, or was he simply carrying it?

No brandishing involved. They just had a tip-off that someone was walking about with a big stiff thing in his overcoat. He may also have had a suspiciously irish accent, I forget.

It's really sad but not even surprising, is it? Happens over and over.

Like those guys round my way (east london) who were woken in the middle of the night by men threatening them and their families with guns in their own homes, and were shot. They claim the police never indentified themselves, they just thought they were being attacked by armed robbers.
I think they had brought suspicion upon themselves by being Muslims or something.

You have to consider: what must be the mentality of someone who wants to do a job that involves guns and working for the govt?

UFO over easy

online mahjong
You have to consider: what must be the mentality of someone who wants to do a job that involves guns and working for the govt?

I love the way that they advertise the volunteer police thing on the tubes and stuff in london..

essentially

"ARE YOU A LONELY BULLY!? WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE SOME POWER!? THEN VOLUNTEER WITH US AND YOU CAN HASSLE PEOPLE ALL YOU WANT FOR 16 HOURS A MONTH IN UNIFORM!"

I love the way that they advertise the volunteer police thing on the tubes and stuff in london..

essentially

"ARE YOU A LONELY BULLY!? WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE SOME POWER!? THEN VOLUNTEER WITH US AND YOU CAN HASSLE PEOPLE ALL YOU WANT FOR 16 HOURS A MONTH IN UNIFORM!"

volunteer police.... in my day that was called being a grass. they are among the lowest in my opinion.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

Yeah, it's one thing to do that for a living, but to want to do it for nothing, as a 'hobby'? You can tell it's going to be those kids who revelled in being 'classroom monitor' at school, grown up. I bet proper coppers hold them in complete contempt, too.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
ham_wideweb__430x259.jpg

"They were doing their job and they did a good job," Ledford said of the prosecutors. "I think that what makes this country great is that there is a system in place and it works."

It is PERFECTLY sane and PERFECTLY barbaric and going PERFECTLY according to plan -- don't let these criminals cop insanity pleas, Zhao! This is no mistake and no aberration -- this is a message: "You are already in a prison as incomprehensible as it is totalizing and WE WILL KILL YOU for no reason at all and no one will even BLINK..." These sociopathic pieces of shit aren't bad apples, they are MODEL EMPLOYEES -- give them bonuses! Send their brats to private schools!

Apologies to anyone in the Occupied Fortress of New York, but the streets deserve to be in flames tonight; 20 shot dead in less than week in the Wild West of Chicago's South Side where it's easier to arm competing native factions than get your hands dirty yourself (can we call it the "Gangster Disciple Awakening" with apologies to Petraeus?). The pigs in all their manifest incompetence and callousness blame it on THE WEATHER here, so perhaps I should be thankful that it's a distinctly British 36 degrees and rainy in late April... but it's going to be a hot summer, and like Dizzee I ain't talking about the weather.

zhao

there are no accidents
Chicago Police officers will soon be equipped with M4 carbines to match the firepower of the street gangs they're up against, under a policy change in the works to stop the bloodshed on the city's streets.
m4m203.jpg

Police Supt. Jody Weis' decision to arm and train his 13,500 officers with more powerful weapons was disclosed as Mayor Daley emerged from a City Hall summit meeting with a plea to every Chicagoan who cares about children.
Annette Freeman, right, mother of Dantrell Davis, left, recieves an award in memory of her son in 1997.

"I don't want people to wait for Mayor Daley to call a meeting. I want you to call a meeting in your home, with your children and loved ones. I want you to . . . talk to those children next door. I want the parents on the block to say, 'This block will be free of violence. This summer, not one child will be [killed by] gangs and drug dealers,' " Daley told a City Hall news conference.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/917216,CST-NWS-killing26.article

It is PERFECTLY sane and PERFECTLY barbaric and going PERFECTLY according to plan

marshlaw.jpg
severns.png
robocop_in_action.jpg

Last edited:

ripley

Having worked at demos in six states, as a medic, I have to say that NY cops are second only to Miami cops in the being-a-TREMENDOUS-asshole department. It's probably partly recruiting, and it's the culture of the police force there, I guess... as evidenced by this delightful event

NYPD IS PROBING TAUNTS
By LARRY CELONA

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04272008/news/regionalnews/nypd_is_probing_taunts_108298.htm

April 27, 2008 -- The NYPD's Internal Affairs Bureau is investigating a cruel prank call to the family of Sean Bell's fiancée that originated from the Manhattan offices of a prominent police union, The Post has learned.

"Ha, ha, ha," someone said in a 1:15 p.m. Friday phone call to the home of Nicole Bell's father Les Paultre, according to a police source.

The number for the Sergeants Benevolent Association came up on the caller ID.

"It was just horrible to get that phone call after coming back from the cemetery," said Nicole Bell.

Her father said, "The guy was taunting us, laughing. It was horrible because we had just come back from the court and the cemetery."

The president of the union, Edward Mullins, said, "If the accusations are true, we will deal with it."

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

There was something in the paper yesterday about a guy, an African tourist I think, who died after being restrained during arrest. Somewhere in this country, might have been London. Of course the police can't just not arrest someone because they're physically resisting being arrested, but it makes you wonder how much training they're being given if people keep dying in circumstances like this. Still, I suppose we should be grateful they haven't got Tazers (yet).