Joe Meek's "I hear a new world"

Woebot

The only meek i've had untill picking this record up was that quite lush-looking double lp of his productions. in truth its a bit k-tel and (apart from telstar, which i really only quite like) a bit crappy.

so i sort of wrote him as "theoretically fascinating potentially influential pop producer" but HOT DIGGEDY DEREK was i pleased i picked up this baby, a reissue of "Meeks long lost 1960 'moon' concept album" re-released in 1991. only paid a few squid for it (note to bank manager).

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! now it all makes sense! most particularly the aphex twin parrallels. selected ambient works volume two is most extremely clearly quoting this to the max. id ramble on for longer but have sore arms. if you dont have this YOU MUST MUST MUST find a copy. i'll bet its available on CD.

D

droid

WOEBOT said:
The only meek i've had untill picking this record up was that quite lush-looking double lp of his productions. in truth its a bit k-tel and (apart from telstar, which i really only quite like) a bit crappy.

so i sort of wrote him as "theoretically fascinating potentially influential pop producer" but HOT DIGGEDY DEREK was i pleased i picked up this baby, a reissue of "Meeks long lost 1960 'moon' concept album" re-released in 1991. only paid a few squid for it (note to bank manager).

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! now it all makes sense! most particularly the aphex twin parrallels. selected ambient works volume two is most extremely clearly quoting this to the max. id ramble on for longer but have sore arms. if you dont have this YOU MUST MUST MUST find a copy. i'll bet its available on CD.

Had a copy years ago, lost it, and ended up (ahem) downloading it again last year. Fantastic LP... it's got that bubbly analogue sound and has a really demented streak of humour running through it... I dont know about the SAW 2 comparison though, Ive always thought of that LP as AFX's tribute to Brian Eno, the production being so minimal and prisitine on it, wheras IHANW is fully of crazy effects, tape loops, dirty synths and fucked up vocals - maybe more reminiscent of something like Green Calx from SAW1? (except for the vocals)

Anyways - you might want to check this page out for a FREE Joe Meeks LP and a couple of interesting articles about him:

http://www.comfortstand.com/catalog/037/index.html

iueke

meek.jpg

meek2.jpg

found at Utrecht record fair for 1 euro :eek:

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
You called Matt?

Yeah it's a great LP this, although not without cheesy-chipmunk vocal moments. The ambient-interludes are geniunely strange though, and the dubbyness of it is very cool. I like the half speed one, Love Dance of the Saroos, that could almost be Augustus Pablo.

Some of the echoing is so severe it almost becomes pure form, just a kind of deep space tremour- "I hear a new world, II hheeearr a nnewww worrld, IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII hhhhheeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrr......". Sublime! In fact my favorite Joe Meek moment of all is Jonny Remember Me, where the deep echo is so intense and tremulous it's like it's coming from the other side.

You can check out some moments from the LP here.

mms

sometimes
lovely, there is a cd version with an interview with him, and a dvd of a visit to his studio, he came from stroud and was a radio operator in the army, where he discovered his passion for home made electronics.

recently hear a recording he made of the infamous 'talking cat' he was big into the occult and tried to join several London based occult societies, but was rejected as far as i know as he was a little mentox.

there is a site somewhere of his unreleased bits and pieces, i can't find it now.

the problem with this stuff is similar to the problem with delia derbyshire and daphne oram's stuff is it's in the hands of a trustee who isn't that keen on sharing it .

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
Nick Gutterbreakz said:
Bloody hell! That's 'holy grail' shit! :eek:
Holy grail, eh? Well, I just have to tell this.... yesterday I got the Philips "Electronic Panorama" silver 4 LP-box for free!!!! A friend of mine found it in a traditional classical record collection that one of his friends father was going to throw out, and gave it to me as a belated birthday present! And it was one of those records I had completely given up all hope of ever getting.

Woebot

hamarplazt said:
Holy grail, eh? Well, I just have to tell this.... yesterday I got the Philips "Electronic Panorama" silver 4 LP-box for free!!!! A friend of mine found it in a traditional classical record collection that one of his friends father was going to throw out, and gave it to me as a belated birthday present! And it was one of those records I had completely given up all hope of ever getting.

stylin!

john eden

male pale and stale
Any thoughts on the film "Telstar"? I just watched it last night and reckoned it was pretty good as a film, I have no idea about dramatic licence vs fact....

nochexxx

harco pronting
the best meek imo comes from the goodeipal’s 'meeky meeky random flakes' series. they’re obviously bootlegs, but boots from what exactly? the comps sound like studio outtakes, featuring the man himself muttering on mic inbetween recording takes. real fly on the wall stuff! no idea as to what the context of these recordings are, anyone care to shed some light?