New Joy Division Documentary

Transpontine

history is made at night
Saw this tonight and thought it was good, nicely complementing Control (have reviewed it here). Anybody else seen it yet?

There's a quote at the beginning which I would love to track down - its a voiceover, possibly from a 40s/50s movie going on about the City ('the city of peace' etc.). Anyone recognise it - presumably has some Manchester connection.

Transpontine

history is made at night
There's a quote at the beginning which I would love to track down - its a voiceover, possibly from a 40s/50s movie going on about the City ('the city of peace' etc.). Anyone recognise it - presumably has some Manchester connection.

Answering my own query I've now tracked down this quote. It comes from something called the Manchester Civic Prayer, which goes:

“Grant us, O God, a vision of our City, fair as she might be; a city of justice, where none shall prey on others; a city of plenty, where poverty shall cease to fester; a city in community, where success shall be founded on service, and honour be given to worth alone; a city of peace, where order shall not rest on force, but on mutual respect. Hear the silent prayer of our hearts as we each pledge our time and strength and thought to speed the day of her coming beauty and righteousness.”

Not religious myself, but I would say amen to that.