Running a film festival in London

martin

----
I'm wondering about the money / activity involved in doing this. Has anyone here set one up? What would be the ideal timespan for something like this (ie- a whole weekend? one night? all-dayer?) How many films should be on to sustain interest (and given time constraints) and to attract an audience? Should the films all be the same genre? And what sort of venues (if any) would be sympathetic to such a night? It's just a vague idea at present, and I'm not interested in making money out of it, but not interested in losing any either. And I'd rather it was small (not out of elitism but to avoid paying screening royalties) and preferably with a bar and relaxed smoking policy. Any advice / thoughts much appreciated!

mms

sometimes
i've got a mate with a studio off hackney road, a film projector and a screen who will probably be into hosting this for a bit of cash.

i'd recommend an evening, you can smoke in there, get some beers and watch stuff.
otherwise there are a few places that do film nights around the east end and are all vpl'ed up.
I will ask my flatmate about that, she has made some shorts etc and will probably be able to remember where she showed them.

at any rate i can get a screen and a video projector.

could try here as well, they always have amazing event's that i never fail to miss.
http://www.thehorsehospital.com/
what films are you thinking?

martin

----
I'm not sure, I was going to save all the fun stuff like having violent arguments in the pub about what films to show for later on. I like the idea of presenting "Robotrix" and "Santo and Blue Demon vs. Dracula and the Wolfman" to a public for some perverted reason, maybe some OTT martial arts snuff movies too. But thanks for the info - I'll def check yr mate if this thing gets off the ground

john eden

male pale and stale
Yeah - I've done this a few times - at the Scala when it was going but also at the Rio in Dalston - tho they have gone a bit more upmarket since then.

Best bet is to do a one off evening event and see how many people come - get their contact details, or do a miniwebsite and then maybe think about a 2nd if you're not pissed off with it all then.

Keeping it small like MMS says is a good idea.

There are people like the exploding cinema* and "My Eyes! My Eyes!" who run regular experimental film nights, of varying quality (but with ace people).

*[disclaimer - there are issues with who can and cannot use the name, due to schisms and all sorts of "lineage" arguments. I only say this because someone will come on here and have a row about how the exploding cinema stopped in the late 80s and the founder left clear instructions in their will about who was going to take it over like with all the OTOs and that]

Basically all you need is a room and a screen and a projector... and some way of telling people about it.

I also have a mate who knows someone with a room, but it's no smoking, which I think would put people off (not least you!)

john eden

male pale and stale
I've got some reggae documentaries to show and probably some other stuff of a psychogeographical/counter cultural nature as well.

martin

----
Well your docs sound good...and anyway, I know I'm in a social minority now and some people don't want smoke rings in their faces...why not have a Dissensus film thing? Anyone can submit anything...sort of like those music clubs where you can take along two tracks and get them played...shit, this is my most sensible post ever

mms

sometimes
martin said:
Well your docs sound good...and anyway, I know I'm in a social minority now and some people don't want smoke rings in their faces...why not have a Dissensus film thing? Anyone can submit anything...sort of like those music clubs where you can take along two tracks and get them played...shit, this is my most sensible post ever

sounds ace, this is a good idea.