Flying Lotus-Los Angeles (2008)

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
I reviewed it on my blog a while back when it leaked and I figured they'd be a thread full of people fawning over it on Dissensus by now. I thought it was fuckin' ridiculoid and I've been killing it for weeks now. Where's the love...or haven't any of you heard it yet? I just know that isn't the case.

One.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
haven't heard the album yet but there's a track on mary anne hobbs show called Testament which i've had on loop for half an hour or so...

Alfons

Way of the future
Im really looking forward to it, bought the reset ep on mp3 other day (is it still available on vinyl anywhere?) and am feeling it. I can see his album getting quite big.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
looks like I'm in a big queue to nick it at the moment

this wouldn't have happened in the shop lift era :mad:

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Bought the first album in a fit of buying up all this kind of carry on - Dabrye, Take, Lukid, that Sound of LA comp and so on - but don't listen to it much anymore. It has one of the worst remixes ever, courtesy of crappy old Daedalus.

Didn't like anything I heard on the 'Reset' EP. Is the new album similar territory? Who are the vocalists on it...?

mms

sometimes
Im really looking forward to it, bought the reset ep on mp3 other day (is it still available on vinyl anywhere?) and am feeling it. I can see his album getting quite big.

think warpmart may have one or two copies and i think its being repressed soon.

these by gaslamp killer are also good
http://warpmart.com/search/all/gaslamp
he's the guy who works with that singer - gonja sufi who sung on testament
and samiyam - lotus' partner in flysamiyam has a beat tape available here
http://warpmart.com/item/Samiyam/Rap Beats Vol 1./3688

there are some really special things happening around the release of the lotus album that are well under the radar so i'm told.
things that will bring things together and add things to things.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Bought the first album in a fit of buying up all this kind of carry on - Dabrye, Take, Lukid, that Sound of LA comp and so on - but don't listen to it much anymore. It has one of the worst remixes ever, courtesy of crappy old Daedalus.

Didn't like anything I heard on the 'Reset' EP. Is the new album similar territory? Who are the vocalists on it...?

yeah that daedelus mix ruins that first album.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
I like daedelus you cunts (sometimes. not that remix)

best track off reset is massage situation, which I rediscovered lately, and which blows everything off 1983 out of the water :) sounds like danny breaks having a seizure. tea leaf dancers is obviously wonderful as well.

mms - is the samiyam beat tape worth picking up? and tell me more about (the motherfucking) gaslamp killer - is he more about the psych or the hip hop? or both? I investigated a little bit ago but couldn't find much floating. seems weird, and interesting though.

Last edited:

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I was thinking Flying Lotus was in danger of being seriously overhyped, considering all he's done some far is a few pretty nifty production turns.

But this album is really, really, really good.

mms

sometimes
I like daedelus you cunts (sometimes. not that remix)

best track off reset is massage situation, which I rediscovered lately, and which blows everything off 1983 out of the water :) sounds like danny breaks having a seizure. tea leaf dancers is obviously wonderful as well.

mms - is the samiyam beat tape worth picking up? and tell me more about (the motherfucking) gaslamp killer - is he more about the psych or the hip hop? or both? I investigated a little bit ago but couldn't find much floating. seems weird, and interesting though.

yeah both are wicked gaslamp is a curious fellow who mixes psych and hip hop - darkly quite naturally, seems like a natural thing to happen for a californian producer really.

elgato

I just dont know

Dancefloor Stalker is the one for me, love that tune too hard. cannot wait for this LP

UFO over easy

online mahjong
if that's the one thats like 40 seconds long before it goes into a kind of feeble 'bonus beat' - that's HEAVY, just wish it was longer

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i think it's a wonderful records.

this, 2562's aerial and trim's soulfood 3 are my top albums of 2008 so far... and that's an extremely good thing.

they all have lots of numbers in the artist names or titles, too.

maybe that's the secret.

elgato

I just dont know
if that's the one thats like 40 seconds long before it goes into a kind of feeble 'bonus beat' - that's HEAVY, just wish it was longer

nah its the sort of epic fucked electro tune which comes after that short track, so im wondering if it is in fact what you think is feeble!

elgato

I just dont know
ha thats so funny! just goes to show eh. nah i love that one. out of interest is it the timbre or the programming you don't feel?

UFO over easy

online mahjong
timbre :) the sounds don't really appeal. might be something to do with following on so immediately from that short beat which is incredibly rough.. banging.