The Great Music Glut

DJ PIMP

A month or so ago I came to the realisation that even within my few niche genres of interest, I simply cannot keep up with the volume of music being released. Admittedly I do a reasonable amount of sifting by hand, a couple of hours every day... but I haven't found any alternative to finding the stuff I enjoy that doesn't seem to get mentioned anywhere. Most blogs are too general, or narrow and not quite to my taste. Last FM style tools are too shallow.

Ultimately it doesn't matter as I have more music that I enjoy than I can possibly listen to, but still it's kind of disconcerting. Years ago the limiting factor was the record store, but that's a thing of the past, and there's seemingly more of everything now.

How do you cope? What happens from here?

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
I get regular emails from Juno but I find it incredibly tedious going through them.

Anything worth buying I usually hear about from forums, tracklists of mixes that I've downloaded, myspace, or through talking to people in (gulp) the real world.

A good thing about the net is that records don't dissappear any more - thanks to Discogs and suchlike, they are always around to buy even if you miss them first time out.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I’ve brought an iPod so I can digest more as I move about, listen to mixes and so forth but I’ve deliberately limited what I’ve put on it so far. Just my new CDs and some other bits, a few mixes etc so it’s not too overwhelming.

The glut appreciates records a lot more – I prefer records over any other format and buying LPs is a bit different from download piggery – walking out a shop with more than 4 LPs always seems a bit much. Plus I find 25-35 minutes at a time per side much more digestible than say a 50 tune CD doublepack. Having a physical object means you’ve got some cover art to stare at and something to stack next to your record player and trip over, rather than a never-ending accumulation of weightless, contextless MP3s.

I think the main thing is just accepting you *can’t* hear it all and appreciating the abundance. Stopping doing that thing of staying permanently plugged in downloading more and more stuff “cos you might miss it” or whatever.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
What gets me more is how the internet actually makes me feel guilty sometimes. Because it makes everything so easy the amount you can find or learn about any subject, not just music, is limited only by how much you can be bothered. So I perpetually feel really uninformed because this stuff makes it easy to expect yourself to know everything about everything, but I can't really be fucked most of the time.

Last edited:
D

droid

Listen constantly - 8/9 hours a day, and figure out how to filter things properly.

Approaching it from a DJs point of view is actually an advantage for this as you tend to rate things according to utility rather than anything else. Only problem there is when you start DJng multiple genres, but it does mean you can make your decisions pretty quickly.

Basically you have to develop a strategy or criteria to manage things. These days, if something doesn't blow my mind of suck me in pretty quickly I just go on to the next tune. You can miss stuff, but its better than just wallowing around...

UFO over easy

online mahjong
^ I'd end up hating music (and myself probably) pretty quickly if I did that.. I prefer having a strategy for ignoring things more than filtering them.

Last edited:

elgato

I just dont know
I’ve brought an iPod so I can digest more as I move about

this is key, my iPod broke recently and my available listening time has gone through the floor, i hate it

What gets me more is how the internet actually makes me feel guilty sometimes. Because it makes everything so easy the only limit to how much you can find or learn about any subject, not just music, is limited only by how much you can be bothered. So I perpetually feel really uninformed because this stuff makes it easy to expect yourself to know everything about everything, but I can't really be fucked most of the time.

this is very true

DJ PIMP

I'm a lot more selective now than I used to be. I went through a phase for several years of hoovering all kinds of stuff down like mad. I've had clean-ups before but I'm probably due to go through it all and delete 80%.

In a more general sense I wonder about the effect on culture as we drift toward infinite niche. It's only now that my micro-genres are so large and prolific as to be overwhelming that I've come to appreciate the concept of the death of mass culture.

D

droid

^ I'd end up hating music (and myself probably) pretty quickly if I did that.. I prefer having a strategy for ignoring things more than filtering them.

Well its kinda the same thing. I wouldn't listen to 8 hours of techno or hipster rock that I have no interest in the hope of hearing something good - but i would listen to mixes all day and mentally note tunes, artists and labels, that i liked the sound of, and mentally bin those I don't, so I know to ignore them next time.

It goes without saying that recommendations from trusted sources is another good way to choose.

mms

sometimes
my ipod broke ages ago and i don't miss it - i can listen to five great singles in a week and really enjoy them nowdays or just get into one form of music for a while, i do find myself buying about 60 - 40 new stuff. i listen to new music all day at work and alot of it is stuff people put on the stereo, new releases mainly indie and i just switch off to that stuff nowdays, you've got to have a personal relationship with music else it's just background noise or you're just fielding downloads.

viktorvaughn

What gets me more is how the internet actually makes me feel guilty sometimes. Because it makes everything so easy the only limit to how much you can find or learn about any subject, not just music, is limited only by how much you can be bothered. So I perpetually feel really uninformed because this stuff makes it easy to expect yourself to know everything about everything, but I can't really be fucked most of the time.

For us relative youngers growing up with the internet think of how good our knowledge is going to be when we are 40!

Anyone else feel totally lost on an hour long train journey without an iPod or similar? Kinda alarming somehow...

UFO over easy

online mahjong
For us relative youngers growing up with the internet think of how good our knowledge is going to be when we are 40!

I dunno, I think it's a quantity/quality thing. A generation of armchair critics with very little to say about a huge variety of different subjects :confused: Like walking bitezise wikipedia chunks.

I'm also completely addicted to listening to music constantly on my ipod, but going off it quite quickly. It disconnects me just enough to feel alone in a busy environment, but not enough to really digest the music properly. So I feel like a zombie but I'm not benefitting from it. Crap earbuds are partly to blame I suspect, but I'm thinking of starting to only take the ipod with me on long journeys.

Last edited:

straight

wings cru
dont you think its a bit of a non problem that theres too much good music? or is your problem the same as mine in that that you arent able to name drop records people havent heard of? nerd cred crisis. ive tried to stop thinking about this when i realised i was shitting myself evert time there was some new worldmusic dance genre cos my mates would be into it and id look the big man. ive sacked that off and am currently enjoying lonely horrible music on my own.

Also a good way to combat the ipod ADD factor is to use your girlfriends old mettalic pink one, then you'll not even think about taking that shit out of your pocket until the music stops

Last edited:

gumdrops

ideally what this will/should do is motivate more artists to make music isnt just GOOD but is er VERY good and hopefully even better than that to rise about the glut of just seemingly good if not all that memorable music (or perhaps it is memorable, its just hard to memorise it when you have 48953 other songs vying for your attention). worst case scenario is it will lowest-com-dom things more cos people will go for the easiest angle to get your attention over everything else.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Good topic, 'Pimp' - I wrote about the same subject once for a website - so much 'Stuff' generally as we travel dazed by choice down the supermarket aisles, through online pages, on TV (all those stations!) - words, sounds, images - the information overload conundrum of what's 'valid' and what's not - celeb froth, Wiki knowledge, 'realityVision', horrorshow news - enough to trip anyone's switch and cause a shutdown.

My gen remembers buying one album a week and treasuring the thing - now some of us live in iPods and download whilst others (like myself) have resisted following every sign of the times to full 'modernisation' without being total Luddites. A 'youngster' here (VV) mentioned 'knowing' so much by the time he's 40 but is it really knowledge or just experience overload? My music collection isn't fully 'known' and it's small compared to the iPod possibilities. Like sprinting through the National Gallery you take in a lot of paintings and know none of them. Perhaps it's better to stand for 30mins in front of one masterpiece? Which raises the question of the calibre of music you're consuming, of course (one worm wriggles out of the High/Lowbrow culture can before I slam it shut).

Pop overload is possible by sheer number despite the content being easily digestible - whereas the almost infinite subtleties of a great symphony or, I would say, Dave Brubeck quartet recording, can take the average listener a lifetime to appreciate.

Less really is more sometimes...a cliche I know...or a truism...

mms

sometimes
I dunno, I think it's a quantity/quality thing. A generation of armchair critics with very little to say about a huge variety of different subjects :confused: Like walking bitezise wikipedia chunks.

I'm also completely addicted to listening to music constantly on my ipod, but going off it quite quickly. It disconnects me just enough to feel alone in a busy environment, but not enough to really digest the music properly. So I feel like a zombie but I'm not benefitting from it. Crap earbuds are partly to blame I suspect, but I'm thinking of starting to only take the ipod with me on long journeys.

having a strong knowledge of music is fairly useless, really, i'm only 32 btw - so i'm a relative younger