"Living is Hard" and other collections of antiquarian music

DannyL

Wild Horses
Picked this up at the weekend. It’s a new Honest Jon’s compilation, based on a trawl through the EMI 78s archives in Harrow. It collects 23 different recordings which were made in London between 1927-29 by African singers and musicians. This material was recorded solely for export to emerging African markets which EMI was trying to create at the time, exporting gramophones as well as the discs to play on them.

The sleevenotes make one reflect on the hidden histories of black people in this country – like a lot of great black music, it’s a by product of the colonial experience – and they go into a fair amount of depth about the early black presence in this country – seamen mostly who faced a lot of racism from their white colleagues on the waterfront. I’m left really curious to know about who/what/where exactly it was being exported to – the sleevenotes refer to EMI staking out the markets for themselves but amongst whom? Who exactly was buying this music and these gramophones?

And as should go without saying, the music itself is pretty wonderful. I love stuff like this. It’s the quality of being transported in time, right back to the beginnings of recorded music. It’s like a little window in history opening up, the closest we’ll get to a time machine. Several tracks sound very melancholic, a reflection of being trapped in an alien and unwelcoming land perhaps? Others have the call and response structure of sea shanties, while others are traditional arrangements with lyrics reflecting themes of African folklore and village life. A few tracks sound like embryonic highlife. There is also one utterly terrifying recording by Ben Simmons, which sounds like a possession rite. Unsurprisingly this didn’t get released

Link here with a lot more information: http://www.honestjons.com/label.php?pid=32803&LabelID=14815

I have a number of collections of similar stuff. Don’t know if these are familiar or not to people on this board – but a few faves are:

Shango, Shouter & Obeah – Supernatural Calyspo from Trinidad.
What it says on the tin, amazing antiquated calypsos with obeah/vodoun themes.

Good For What Ails You: Music From the Medicine Shows
Early recordings from the tail end of the American Medicine shows, travelling circuses with added pharmacies – where the phrase “snake oil” comes from. A mix of vaudeville musics and skits and some early blues soundalikes. Wicked.

Mento Madness. Motta’s Jamaican Mento 1951-1956. Something of a slightly later vintage. You can hear the foundations of reggae and ska in these tunes, I swear.

There’s a bit of CD hate going down in the “Buying Records” thread which I mostly agree with . BUT one of the things that makes me love these is the care and attention with which they’re packaged. Detailed fascinating sleevenotes plus lots of great pics and early artwork.

There’s a few more but I’ll have to wait till I’m at home before listing….

Anymore for anymore? Thoughts on the music, or this kind of digging deep?

DannyL

Wild Horses
Cheers for the tip. I find listening to doowop a similar experience to listening – feel like your’re listening to the roots of R & B and soul, much as how you can hear precursors of rock and roll in early blues.

I should also mention Joe Bussard here – he’s a legendary American record collector who has been digging out old 78s all of his life. I have a compilation of his and the notes are filled with tales of days driving around the American south knocking on doors old log cabins, finding treasure dusty 10 inches. He kind of should be worshipped as a God or totem spirit by everyone who’s posted in the record buying thread. I can’t find any pictures of his collection on line, but they’d make your eyes water. The comp I’ve got is Down in the Basement: Early Jazz, blues and hillbilly country. You also get the sense very strongly – as on all these recordings - of how much effort is being put into preversing this music. A little corner of history which it’d be lost otherwise.

Also Revenant Records have done some sterling stuff. It was founded by the late John Fahey. Pretty diverse catalogue which includes Albert Ayler, Derek Bailey and others but they’ve put out to KILLER comps of pre-war gospel and blues, American Primitive 1 & 2 : http://www.revenantrecords.com/index.php?section=releases&cd_ident=5

Add some more about this later as I want to re-listen before commenting..

zhao

there are no accidents
Mississippi Records recent re-issues:

problemfrontwp1.jpg

V/A - Life is a Problem (Mississippi, 2007)

A1 Utah Smith - Take A Trip Utah Smith - Take A Trip
A2 Rev Lonnie Farris - A Night In The House Of Prayer
A3 Sister OM Tarrel - Life Is A Problem
A4 Straight Street Group - Angels Keep Watching Over
A5 Rev A Johnson - Lord Will Make A Way
A6 Elder Charles Beck - Rock & Roll sermon, Pt. 1&2
B1 Crumb Brothers - Seat In The Kingdom
B2 Bishop Perry Tills - I Found A Solid Rock
B3 Utah Smith - I'm Free
B4 Wllianette Singers - Pray On
B5 Proffessor Johnson - Standing In The Safety Zone
B6 Tom Dutson - Lil' School Song
B7 Oaklands' Famous One Mand Band - Amazing Grace

7inch
George Coleman -this Old worlds Is a In A Terrible Condition A
George Coleman -this Old worlds Is a In A Terrible Condition B

words from Aquarius:

And now we have the latest release from Mississippi, Life Is A Problem, which collects some totally mindblowing gospel rarities. A few we had heard of, like Utah Smith and Bishop Perry Tillis, but so many we had never heard or heard of before, and it's all fantastic. And so varied. Some tracks are classic gospel, all voices and handclaps, others are wild psychedelic freakouts, with slippery slide guitars and rambunctious percussion, still others are super soulful, some are sermons set to music, testifying over groovy guitars and warbly organs. The sound quality varies wildly too, from the crackly hiss of old 78s, the fiery and furious sound of blown out analog tapes, some are washed out and ethereal, others immediate and intense. But again, they're all fantastic, and wild and varied enough that even folks who aren't always into gospel, might dig this stuff for what it is, super creative, original, out there, personal and super inspired music, that transcends genre for sure.
Like all Mississippi releases, super nice handmade packaging. This one includes a printed insert featuring liner notes on each of the performers on the comp from Yeti Magazine's Mike McGonigal, as well as a bonus 7" featuring Bongo Joe Coleman doing "This Old World Is In Terrible Condition".

dontfeelathomedz2.jpg

V/A - I Don't Feel At Home in This World Anymore 1927-1948 (Mississippi, 2007)

A1 Marika Papagika - Zmirneikos Balos
A2 Wilmoth Houdini - Blow Wind Blow
A3 Cleoma Falcon - Prends Done Courage
A4 Mme. Riviere's Hawaiians - E Mama Ea
A5 Caresser, The - Edward The VIII
A6 Two Gospel Keys - I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore
A7 Sexteto Bolona - Te Prohibido El Cabaret
B1 Jacob Hoffman & Kandal's Orchestra - Diona & Hora
B2 Blind Uncle Gaspard & Dela Lachney - Baoille
B3 Mike Hanapi's Ilima Islanders - Hilo Hula
B4 Lydia Mendoza - Palida Luna
B5 Blue Sky Boys - Will You Miss Me When I'm Gone?
B6 Unknown Artist - Sorban Palid
B7 Big Boy Cleveland - Quill Blues

Aquarius:

Amazing compilation of lost folk and blues from this relatively new Northwestern label (even though they're called Mississippi), who apparently have tons more killer comps on deck and coming soon. We can hardly wait! But for now, we're perfectly pleased to just dig into this one (and the other new Mississippi release, the Lipa Kodi Ya City Council comp of African music, reviewed elsewhere on this list), a gorgeous chunk of dusty, sepia toned old timey blues, recorded between the years 1927-1948, all of it fantastic. Like a modern day Folkways, Mississippi has gathered up a gorgeous and varied collection of lost music, from campfire fiddles, to tap dance rhythms, to smokey night club joints, to brassy big band, to amazing yodeling, to Latin flavored rhythm and blues, to back porch stomps, to soft and shimmery crooned blues, it's all fantastic, the recordings raw and emotional, immediate, fuzzy and lo-fi, straight from the original 78's. Absolutely essential. The perfect vinyl addendum to your Smithsonian Folkways' Anthology of American Folk Music box set.

lipakodiyacitycouncilcu3.jpg

V/A - Lipa Kodi Ya City Council (Mississippi, 2007)

A1. MOUSSA DOUMBI - Yeye Mousso (Mali)
A2. YASEEN MOHAMMED & SAADA - Lala Mpenzi (Kenya)
A3. SAMI KAMAR & THE BLACK DIAMONDS - Egun (dide) Sierra Leone)
A4. KABUSHI & MWENYA - Mwe Baiyashi Canteleni (Zambia)
A5. MBASELA KUNDA & WILLIAM MONYANDA - Nina Namusonda Sanguweji (Zambia)
A6. NOVICITAT DE SOEURS MISSIONAIRES DE NOTRE-DAME - Yesu Ka Mwwebaze (Rwanda)
B1. CABDULAAHI IMAN ZAMIR, AMIN XAAJI CUSMAAN & NUUR MAXAMED - Siina Miiri (Somilia) B2. ESTHER JOHN, FADHILI WILLIAM, FUNDI KONDE & BEN NICHOLAS - Mwanamali Wa Maridadi (Kenya)
B3. FRIDA SONKO - Gwenasobya (Uganda)
B4. MAREHAMU GEORGE MUKABI - Bibi Mama Ngani Mzuri (Kenya)
B5. SE ROGIE - Do Me Justice (Sierra Leona)
B6. ISAYA MWINAMO - Lipa Kodi Ya City Council (Kenya)

More Aquarius words:

Yet another amazing compilation from this Northwestern reissue label. Mississippi [...] compiled this amazing collection of rare R+B, pop, high life, juju and choral music from Africa. Mali, Somalia, Kenya, Zambia, even Sierra Leone...
The comp opens with the most wicked slice of down and dirty afro funk you will ever hear. Super funky, hot and sweaty afro soul supreme. Dense propulsive funky drumming, killer old soul jangle riffs, and growled and crooned, sexed up vocals, complete with JB style "HEY!"s... So intense and emotional and irresistible. Nothing else on the comp is as wild or as funky, but it's all amazing. Crooned ballads with simple shuffling rhythms, fluttery flutes and a deep warm velvety voice, festive joyous celebratory jams, with wildly strummed guitars, lush vocal harmonies, wild percussion, dark languorous afroblues, every track here is a gem, some funky and upbeat, others moody and mellow, so fantastic. Fans of the Ethiopiques comps, the recently reviewed Yaala Yaala releases, that killer Ghana Soundz collection, and the Afro Funk Explosion comp, heck, if you love this stuff the way we do, then you NEED this.

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
I came across this label in an article in Vice recently. Forced Exposure have 'em so am going to order them very soon.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Down in the Basement: .

Have you heard 'Down In The Basement' by Ma Rainey?

http://play.rhapsody.com/marainey/motherofthebluescdc/downinthebasement?didAutoplayBounce=true

He probably gets the title from that, it's an amazing tune - 'take me to the basement, that's as low as I can go' (read as debasement I think). It sounds like New Orleans music inside a ghost train.

Good tips Zhao thanks, this thread got me all excited about buying stuff, which hasn't happened in a while, thanks. Mix nearly finished for you as well Zhao, it takes me a while but I get there in the end.

zhao

there are no accidents
am going to order them very soon.

this thread got me all excited about buying stuff

Hi all,

I am sad to report that the exploitation of African musicians continues through the efforts of Mississippi Records, based in Portland Oregon, and run by Eric Isaacson and Warren Hill. Mississippi Records have recently released on vinyl a recording by the Orchestre Regional de Kayes, a group based in Mali. Mississippi Records do not have, nor did they seek to obtain, the copyright to the recordings, which were originally released by Barenreiter-Musicaphon in 1970. Mississippi Records are acting illegally by infringing the copyright of the musicians. Due to the lack of copyright, all sales and profits will benefit Mississippi Records exclusively, while the musicians of the orchestra will receive absolutely nothing and are powerless to prevent the release of their songs. Given the difficulties that many African musicians face, I find it repellent that Mississippi Records can profit from the sale of the LP without paying one cent in royalties to the original musicians.

Mississippi Records are acting in an exploitative manner, so please do not support their business or their activities.

Graeme Counsel
Radio Africa

and on that little note, PM me if you want these and more recordings in high quality MP3 format so you will not be tempted to support these Dishonest Jons.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I'd be interested to hear how they (Mississippi) have responded to that. It's not like they're in it for the cash - it's a tiny market anyway, and they're putting stuff out at rockbottom prices - $10/$11 an LP.

zhao

there are no accidents
also on related tip:

farewelltoireland.jpg

4-CD set features 80 tracks recorded by Irish immigrants in America during the 1920's & 30's. Artists include James Morrison, Patsy Touhey, Michael Coleman, Dan Sullivan's Shamrock Band, John McKenna, John McGettigan & His Irish Minstrels, & many more.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I should also mention Joe Bussard here – he’s a legendary American record collector who has been digging out old 78s all of his life. I have a compilation of his and the notes are filled with tales of days driving around the American south knocking on doors old log cabins, finding treasure dusty 10 inches."
... not to mention ripping off poor people, paying a pittance for priceless records and brow-beating old ladies into selling things they wanted to keep. A lot of his stories have also been creatively edited to make him look better and to remove the presence of other collectors who accompanied him.

Looks as though there are a load of good things to check out in this thread though.

DannyL

Wild Horses
not to mention ripping off poor people, paying a pittance for priceless records and brow-beating old ladies into selling things they wanted to keep.

With this and the comments about Mississippi, my eyes are being opened by this thread

:eek:

DannyL

Wild Horses
Thanks for the Ma Rainey link as well, mistersloane, can't play this at work though. Will check it out tonight, cheers.

Have you heard 'Down In The Basement' by Ma Rainey?
He probably gets the title from that, it's an amazing tune - 'take me to the basement, that's as low as I can go'

Love the opening lines of, "Oh Papa" by Ma Rainey:

"Just like a rainbow i have faded away..."

"The Great Race Record labels" comp. series is very good.

john eden

male pale and stale
Honest Jons, the shop, was featured as a location in BBC tv drama "Waking the Dead" last night (2nd part tonight).

Great thread...

vimothy

yurp
and on that little note, PM me if you want these and more recordings in high quality MP3 format so you will not be tempted to support these Dishonest Jons.

Can you just post 'em on the board instead? Pretty please???

john eden

male pale and stale
No. This board is not somewhere people can post whole albums of copyrighted material.

Regardless of whether or not people have or have not infringed that copyright elsewhere.

zhao

there are no accidents
what john said, i have learnt from experience. that's why the PM's... not just because i like receiving them :rolleyes:

Last edited: