techno

S

simon silverdollar

ok, so i love lots of the techy stuff that's been put out in the last 4 years or so- kompakt, perlon, trapez, matthew dear, villalobos, areal, cadenza etc etc
and there's lots of classics from say 12-15 years ago that i like checking out- UR, bleep and bass, early aphex, early plus 8 stuff, acid house. and obviously before that there's classic detroit stuff.

but my question for the 4/4 lovers out there is: what stuff from the mid to late nineties should i be checking out? who was running things then? or was it just a fallow period for techno?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
no it was a great period. look for R&S stuff like my definition of house music by dj hell, camargue by cj bolland (a tune that can make me cry to this day), some stuff on rising high, especially transform by transformations, RESPECT my Love Inc (actually Mike Ink from Kompakt). Oh shit there's a heap more. I'll do you a comp if you like. I'd enjoy doing it.

stevienixed

i suffer rock
"camargue by cj bolland (a tune that can make me cry to this day)"

Is it really any good? I mean, I know you think so but I'm just asking 'cause most people I know don't think highly of CJ Bolland. That said, I quite liked his collaboration with Tom Barman under the Magnus monniker (?). Ah feh it, I'll just have to download it and check it out myself. :)

polystyle

Directions

Thumbs up on CJ Bolland

I find I still go bk to NovaMute / Tresor 3 New Directions In Global Techno '95 from time to time

DJ Hell's "Allerseelen" (Jeff Mills remix) still pretty sleek , fast and minimal

also on there Robert Hood and his The Vision
Joey Beltram
and 'ol Domina (Maurizio mix)

turtles

in the sea
Well the obvious stuff (for me certainly) is all the chain reaction releases, maurizio, stuff like that. Though i spose it's off into a bit more experimental dubby territory. But it's still undeniably fucking awesome techno. and some of it does hit pretty hard (that scion release, some porter ricks)

Also a lot of the pre-kompakt wolfgang voigt associated stuff. I love his studio 1 releases. Also the profan label as a whole is pretty money.

And yeah detroit didn't exactly go dead either during the late ninties either, DJ Rolando, The Martian, Suburban Night and stalwarts like Mills and Hood were all releasing good shit.

Richie Hawtin's Decks, EFX & 909 mix from '99 i think does a pretty sweet job of showing all that was good with late 90's techno, IMHO.

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Stelfox...all that stuff is from like '92-'94. I guess it's mid 90's but I think he was asking more like '95-'99, after the rave but before all that German minimal housey stuff came into strength.

I think all that tribal stuff of the kind on Richie Hawtin's Decks, EFX & 909 CD was running things in the end of that period there. Check out Samuel L. Session for that kind of thing. Detroit of course never stopped making the good stuff (even though I think that the best Red Planet stuff was done before '96). I like Luke Slater a lot: check out his Freak Funk album (title track, Love, Origin). Also:
* italian producers like Gaetano Parisio, Marco Carolla
* swedish guys like Adam Beyer (though I find him kinda dry), Cari Leckebusch
* Oliver Ho
* Bush records: Thomas Schumacher - When I Rock, Andrew McLauchlan - Love Story (Bush Re-Edit) TUNE!

That Jeff Mills CD, Mix Up Volume 3 Live in Liquid Room Tokyo is pretty good as well.
Also Kevin Saunderson's "Transmissions from Deep Space Radio" is excellent.

polystyle

technos

Hawtin . Luke Slater . Basic Channel Scion . that Grungerman track with witchy vocal

just listening to Robert Leiner's Northern Dark (Apollo/R&S)
Atomu Shinzu's Act Trk Sixola . Heredia . Cool memories '93

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
I was kind of giving up trad techno at that time, but I'd still like to recommend these, all from 95/96:

Hiroshi Morohasi (double on Acacia)
Nitrate (double on Labworks)
Black Labs (double on Trope)
Air Liquide: Sonic Weather Machine
Alter Ego: Decoding the Hacker Myth
Scan X: Chroma
Spicelab: Spy vs. Spice (not sure if this is "proper" techno (but who cares)... it doesn't really fit anywhere. An all time favorite of mine).

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
DigitalDjigit said:
Stelfox...all that stuff is from like '92-'94. I guess it's mid 90's but I think he was asking more like '95-'99, after the rave but before all that German minimal housey stuff came into strength.

It's all about Hardfloor :). Funky techno in excelsis. One day I'm gonna do a "tribute to Hardfloor" mix.

Also keen on selected Stay Up Forever stuff.

I have no shame :).

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
Nothing wrong with Stay Up Forever. Tunes like 'London Acid City' 'Urban & Free' 'Silver Surfer' 'Dynamo City' (and, fuck, tons more) are among the best raving music ever.

As for more purist stuff from the mid-late 90's check out Dave Clarke's Red Series, the Purpose Maker stuff by Jeff Mills ('The Bells'...swoon), and, if you can find it, Technasia's 'Future Mix' mix cd. Charles Siegling from Technasia is also one of the very best techno dj's out there, and you should be able to find live sets of his quite easily on Soulseek.

notoriousJ.I.M

Look out for the Techno Nations compilations on Kickin' Records for a good round up of techno from this period. All the key players are on there, Surgeon, Regis, Bandulu, Luke Slater, Cristian Vogel, The Advent, Tim Taylor etc. etc. Also check out the Tresor label compilations and anything Maurizio or Basic Channel related. From Detroit well all the key names were releasing stuff and the labels UR, 430 West, Axis, Planet E, Metroplex etc were all putting stuff out most of which is still available. My personal favourites from this period are the Surgeon LPs Basictonalvocabulary (97) and Force and Form (99) on Tresor, Model 500 Deep Space LP (95) on R&S, Carl Craig _ More Songs About Food And Revolutionary Art (97) SSR/Planet E and the Paperclip People LP The Secret Tapes Of Doctor Eich (97) on Open/Planet E.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
stevienixed said:
"camargue by cj bolland (a tune that can make me cry to this day)"

Is it really any good? I mean, I know you think so but I'm just asking 'cause most people I know don't think highly of CJ Bolland. That said, I quite liked his collaboration with Tom Barman under the Magnus monniker (?). Ah feh it, I'll just have to download it and check it out myself. :)

yeah it is definitely that good. i LOVE this track beyond limits, but he did do a lot of really wack stuff too, even at the time he made this. also being belgian, you are totally allowed to be bored with him ;)
re all my stuff being 92 to 94ish, yeah i guess you're right. i wasn't reading properly and am an old fart. all this stuff still stands up, anyway.
this thread has just made me go back and listen to the seawolf o underground resistance, stardancer on red planet, 20Hz by capricorm on global grooves and ton of other stuff, too, so i'm happy.

robin

has anyone heard the surgeon mix from '98 in tresor?
don't think it was ever released but loads of my mates have it so it must be fairly common on the file sharing programs...
anyone,one of my favourite pieces of music of all time,he bashes out really hard techno but there's all sorts of layers going on,
well worth a download if you've any interest in that end of things
also the track pannik by speedy j

notoriousJ.I.M

Pearsall said:
the 69 album by Carl Craig was very good as well.

the Eurobeat 2000 compilations were quite tasty.

I concur, but the 69 'album' was only really a CD collection of the 3 EPs which i have all of seperately on vinyl. ;) As you can probably tell i'm a bit of a Carl Craig fan, but the harder end of things in particular from the Birmingham based producers and labels is some of the finest techno of the last 15 years. Regis's Downwards label has some amazing stuff from the late 90s. Magneze by Surgeon is on one of those Eurobeat comps actually.

notoriousJ.I.M

robin said:
has anyone heard the surgeon mix from '98 in tresor?
don't think it was ever released but loads of my mates have it so it must be fairly common on the file sharing programs...
anyone,one of my favourite pieces of music of all time,he bashes out really hard techno but there's all sorts of layers going on,
well worth a download if you've any interest in that end of things
also the track pannik by speedy j

I love that whole Speedy J sound from 97/99 which verges on industrial noise and rhythmically veers towards jungle. Surgeon and Regis, as the British Murder Boys have been getting into similar sounds in their sets of late, really pushing the boundaries of techno IMO.