Freestyle/Hi-NRG night???

rosebeast

I wanna do a freestyle/hi-nrg night in London, but I'm wondering if anyone thinks there are enough people out there who like this stuff to make it work? I've got loads of the music, and I love, love, love it, but I don't hear too much appreciation from people in general. Ideas?

Client Eastwood

loads of love for freestyle on dissensus see 80 thread below.

a friend of mine put on a few nights of freestyle/80's electro groove uuup north a couple of years ago but it only drew in the old heads and folded.

now if it gets mentioned in a 'style' mag with its links to 'electro house' it may draw in a younger crowd and make it more sustainable as a night. hope you do it and it comes though.

apols of over use of quotes.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
I'm thinking of doing something like this over the summer, but making it a bit more balearic (ie. musically undefined, so we get the freedom to play more of what folks want). But basically 80s post-disco and modern stuff drawing on that era. Maybe putting on a few live acts too. Just getting a pub, doing it afternoon into evening over the summer and seeing if it goes anywhere.

elgato

I just dont know
i would definitely be interested in shaking a leg to this kind of evening!

i think if you wanted to, you could probably appeal to a very large trendy crowd with this kind of stuff with a few sort of crossover bookings. depends what you want to do though, whether you want to keep a purer vibe i guess

rosebeast

yeah, i think i would definitely mix it up abit just because i'm a young guy and i understand that most of the people that i would want to probably come to the night wouldn't have even born when all that stuff was originally taking place. i heard someone play a corina reocrd a few months ago and that was very exciting for me!!!!

I love freestyle.
A lot of people really hate it though... it can be risky to DJ unless the crowd is expecting it.

Much easier in the USA where everyone knows stuff like Debbie Deb and it's childhood nostalgia. In the UK to the average punter it's cheesy old music but without the warm nostalgia part. (except Shannon which everyone loves)

Anyway..... I like it, maybe you can book me to DJ? :D:cool:

3 Body No Problem

I though Hi-NRG was rubbish hard eurohouse popular in certain gay clubs? I am terribly deluded here?

I don't know. The Aquarium on Saturdays isn't a gay club. Being open till 8am, it's more for the Can't-Sleep massive. They played only early 80s freestyle while I was there, but my memory might be hazy.

Client Eastwood

I though Hi-NRG was rubbish hard eurohouse popular in certain gay clubs? I am terribly deluded here?

Freestyle was mainly made by US hispanics eg Shannon, Mantronix etc and not a lot to do with hi nrg which i guess is the above eg I Dead or Alive 'you spin me round like a record'.

rosebeast

Oh yes, there would definitely be some C-Bank on the agenda. It's true that Hi-NRG can be terrible, and when I say that I'm mostly thinking of a lot of the 90s stuff which could be categorized as possibly being some of the worst music ever made, but quite a lot of the 80s stuff was really good, and really addictive. I think some people can't get along with it, because it can be so camp. It tends to make italo look somewhat jockish in comparison.

mms

sometimes
slightly tangentally

i'm djing at this night my friend shintaro puts on - with my friend jon

edosan above played at the last one..

'Friday, June 20, 2008 at 8:00pm
End Time:
Saturday, June 21, 2008 at 2:00am
Street:
LIFE 2 - 4 Old Street EC1V 9AA
City/Town:
London, United Kingdom
club Pacific Vol. 3
CLUB PACIFIC is Japanese Theme Party that revisits
Tokyo in 1981, when it was still like Shoreditch.

We spin Retro Analogue Robo Disco and 80's Yellow Magic Synth Pops from Japan and electro-funk, disco, house and pop from all over the world.

Early hours (8pm - 11pm) will be Lounge Time, drink, eat good Japanese food and chat away to Moody Exotica, Retro Pop Songs, Film Soundtracks from Japan rarely played out in London.

Your charming hosts are - Shintaro Taketani and Olly Baggot.

Club Pacific vol 3 will host sets from Tom Hirst playing the finest Robo disco - and the Disco consultants aka Marcus Scott and History Clock records' Jon Burnip, making you dance to a mix of electronic disco, funk, pop, italo, cosmic and the bits in between.

bring friends! it's free!'

3 Body No Problem

i'm djing at this night my friend shintaro puts on - with my friend jon edosan above played at the last one.. 'Friday, June 20, 2008 at 8:00pm End Time: Saturday, June 21, 2008 at 2:00am Location:
LIFE

Nice little event. Is this a regular night? Are you playing out elsewhere?

aaron_shinn

High NRG and Freestyle both came up around the same time (early-mid 80s). I think of NRG being very close to disco, and very euro-centric. Evelyn Thomas' High Energy from '84 is an early hit that kind of put the name on the sound. There's some pretty good info here. I'm definitely no authority on High NRG though - I have traumatic memories from accidently buying an NRG compilation on ZYX records in the early 90s when I was trying to buy UK hardcore...

Freestyle, on the other hand, is almost entirely Latin-American in origin, and commonly fuses a disco-pop vocal style with beats derived from early electro (I'm thinking Cybotron and Egyptian Lover here). The sound was big in New York, but was possibly more popular in Miami and Texas. Miami Bass was popular at the same time and influenced the production of freestyle greatly. Be sure to check Stevie B, Tina B, Debbie Deb, C-Bank, and of course Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam.

Can anybody give us a lesson on High NRG with some good links? Would love to know if there's more to the story than Evelyn Thomas...

mms

sometimes
One thing that I find peculiar is that Freestyle has no obvious latin sound, despite the progeny of its producers. Why is that?

yes it does in the way the 808s are played - the melodies and the lyrics are very 'catholic' half the time, very coy female sentiments, i'd say it is quite clearly latin.