bun-u

Trumpet Police
...who are the artists who can do no wrong in the eyes of music journalists?

a tell tale sign is when every new album is hailed as 'a return to form':

a couple of starters: the Fall, Nick Cave

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The Smiths!

I was going to say The Fall, but you'd done so already. An obvious choice, I guess.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
A lot of indie types get really indignant if anyone talks any shit on the Sonic Youth camp, although I noticed that, in typical fashion of indie journalists, everyone agreed it's okay to give Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star a really horrible review. I find a lot with indie rock journalists that if you read one review, you've read them all because they are all seeking validation from the next guy and rehashing a feedback loop of opinions in order, presumably, to maintain cred and not look like they are unknowledgeable.

This I reckon is why everyone's Top 50 of the 1990s lists look almost exactly the same, or why the same non-indie rock records get critically acclaimed unanimously year after year - token rap record: The Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury, token dubstep record: Burial, token dancehall: Mavado - Gangster For Life, etc.

Leo

youssou n'dour. nothing against him personally, but he seems to be the fallback world music artist for every music award.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Tom Waits?

He is actually pretty cool though. :)

Sonic Youth and Dylan seconded, hard. Oh, and Stone Roses, (edit: simply for their first album's regular appearance in 'X Best Albums Ever!'-type lists in NME and the like.)

Last edited:

polystyle

Sorry Madge but ...

All of the above, esp. Sonic Yoof
and after reading some reviews about her last plop, Madonna too.
"4 minutes" - of what ? gawd that video, the corset.
Unessential product.

Benny Bunter

He is actually pretty cool though. :)

Sonic Youth and Dylan seconded, hard. Oh, and Stone Roses.

Don't get me wrong, I love a bit of Tom Waits! But he definitely fits the bill here I reckon, unless we're just talking about people that don't deserve all the praise.

The Stone Roses only made two albums, and the second one got mauled by the critics so I don't know if they really count.

The Smiths done virtually no wrong in my eyes, though I suppose they started losing it a bit towards the end...

Sonic Youth: Sick Boy's OTM here. Excellent example.

errr...how about Madonna? There seems to be a certain breed of critic that fawns over everything she does, when it seems obvious to me she's just the biggest bandwagon-jumper ever. Useless auld bag that she is...

EDIT: Polystyle beat me to it! LoL

mms

sometimes
sonic boring youth
radio who cares head
and in the mainstream u fucking 2
nick twatting cave he's a pain in the arse isn't he
my bloody valentine even though they're not that exciting and already have an expletive in their name.

anyone that does a meltdown suddenly has their music reappraised very positively.
anyone that has an opinion about other bands are heralded too ie sonic youth and radio bore.

oasis - they seem to be able to do no wrong in the eyes of half the media and are an event, despite only ever doing two quite good songs.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I was thinking more of the Roses' first album, which regularly vies with Nevermind for Best Rock Album Of The Nineties.

Edit: oh, it was 1989. Whatevs.

mms

sometimes
I was thinking more of the Roses' first album, which regularly vies with Nevermind for Best Rock Album Of The Nineties.

its ok that album isn't it, not amazing, not particulary memorable but ok - fools gold was their best thing.

polystyle

Oasis- sorry ol' monobrow was a shoe in I forgot !
The stuff about Madgeonna 'reinventing' herself is such crap, samo corset, snap up a hip photog for a new layout, shop for hip or not producer'.
Snap 'n shop Photoshop and foundation

Benny Bunter

I reckon Arcade fucking Fire are gonna end up falling into this camp if they haven't already.

Thoroughly undeserving of praise aren't they?

bruno

est malade
robert smith. the madonna thing is sad, the way she gyrates in that extra thick lycra is undignified. why can't people age gracefully?