Scarlett Johansson album

mos dan

fact music
this thread, started by you, caught me by surprise. but no, i haven't ;)

seems like she's going for a feist/cat power/scout niblett/i'm complicated and dense-type thing from the samples :confused:

zhao

there are no accidents
the fact that it exists is a bummer. the fact that there is a thread about it here is a double bum bummer.

DealingDisappointment.jpg

sing_minimal

i heard it and it's pretty decent infact. sounds like something kevins shields would produce.. maybe she went a bit too much into the trendy sound, but it's done nicely.. can't wait to hear what tom waits thinks of it : )

sing_minimal

haha i think i lost it a long time ago. i wanted scarlett to go more in the way of 'summertime' ( ... don't mind the vid hehe), but yeah this new thing turned out lovely as well. ofcourse i'd be even better impressed if she whispered the songs in me ear.

zhao

there are no accidents
ofcourse i'd be even better impressed if she whispered the songs in me ear.

ah ok, this is quite telling. it appears that sing's mind is sound after all: just that his faculties for judgement and ability to reason are entirely compromised by that which has clouded even the best minds for eons: a nice looking pair of jugs.

(yielding, of course, the same tragic results as if he had actually gone off the deep end)

nomos

Administrator
this thread, started by you, caught me by surprise. but no, i haven't ;)
gotta keep em guessing ;)

seems like she's going for a feist/cat power/scout niblett/i'm complicated and dense-type thing from the samples :confused:
from the clips i've heard i think you've got it - feisty, mbv/lost in translation ost, there's-more-to-me-than-you-thought, a little bit of "80s," etc. the first two tracks seem inoffensive enough, kind of catchy. the singing's kind of wooden, which is usually my complaint about her acting. i wouldn't have pegged her to do an album for that reason. i tried to find out what the "indie" consensus was over on pitchfork but i couldn't tell if they were being ironic or not. hedging their bets maybe.

zhao said:
the fact that it exists is a bummer. the fact that there is a thread about it here is a double bum bummer.
sorry zhao, i thought this was the music forum :p

anyway, i was just surprised it existed and i don't know really know anything about her so i thought i'd ask.

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
i only heard feist for the first time a few weeks ago (odd because the canadian media are just bananas for her since got famous abroad). the bits i've heard sound to me a lot like some of the k-records/olympia stuff, especially mirah, but more polished and less dark. is that sort of accurate?

mms

sometimes
its no surprise is it?
really, any of it?
If you're surprised she can sing i'm sure she had lessons at acting school.
This kind of thing and so much new pop music seems absolutely no surprise, like santo gold, lily A etc, just what you'd expect, all the right pick and mix influences in a digestible form, easily consumed by the target demographic, across the 24-40 age group, 50-50 male female ratio, dull.

nomos

Administrator
just what you'd expect, all the right pick and mix influences in a digestible form, easily consumed by the target demographic, across the 24-40 age group, 50-50 male female ratio, dull.
it's not that i'm surprised by the basic premise of cashing in on retrograde indie navel gazing dressed up as something profound. i just find SJ especially dull on screen so it never would have crossed my mind to put her on a record, or to buy that record. it didn't even click at first when i saw it on bumkat. i thought it was some ironically named breakcore outfit.

poetix

we murder to dissect
The world took a wrong turn when it decided it fancied Scarlett Johannsson more than Thora Birch.

crackerjack

anyway, i was just surprised it existed and i don't know really know anything about her so i thought i'd ask.

Scarlett's never really struck with the teen audience, which is why stuff like The Island flopped so badly. Her fanbase is middle-aged men who liked her in LIT and are impressed that she hangs with Woody Allen and gets Salman Rushdie in the video.

An album of Tom Waits covers makes perfect sense.