Inform The American 3: Influential/Early Grime releases

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
I'm finally going to make a post about Grime on my blog and I refuse to do the same 'ol same bullshit "Just the facts with no feeling" type that I read in magazines.

As far as the early influential UKG records from about 2000 leading into 2002 when Grime was at it's Alpha so to speak I feel that I'm missing some important releases and instrumentals that further pushed the creation of Grime from the 2 Step and UKG scene. What important/influential tracks did I miss? So far I remember (going back to the old Artful Dodger/So Solid Crew/Pay As U Go Cartel days):

Dilemma-So Solid Crew (2000)
Casualty (Bound 4 Da Reload)-Oxide & Nuetrino (2000)
Know We-Pay As U Go Cartel (2000)
Ride Wid Us/21 Seconds/Envy (f/Ms. Dynamite)- So Solid Crew (2001)
I Will Not Lose-Wiley (PAUG) (2001)
Eskimo-Wiley (2001)
Booo!-Sticky f/Ms. Dynamite (2001)
Has It Come To This-The Streets (2001/2)
Oi!-More Fire Crew (2001/2)
Creeper-Danny Weed (2002)
Pulse X-Musical Mob (Youngstar) (2002)
Heartless Theme (Superglue Riddim)-Heartless Crew (2002)
Champagne Dance-Pay As U Go Cartel (2002)
Don't Mug Yourself/Let's Push Things Forward/Weak Become Heroes-The Streets (2002)
I Luv U-Dizzee Rascal (2002/3)
Back Then-More Fire Crew (2002/3)
We're Ready-East Connection (2003)
Boys Love Girls-Kano (2003)
Fix Up, Look Sharp/Jus A Rascal-Dizzee Rascal (2003)
Ice Rink/Ground Zero/Igloo/Blizzard/Shangai-Wiley (2003)

I know I missed quite a few important/influential 12's, instrumentals and tracks in this list (even going into 2004/5). Also I know some of you think some of these songs should be omitted as well. Help me out here to ensure that my blog won't suck like those written by assholes who don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

Thanks in advance, fellow Dissensians.

One.

bigshot- stomp
anna/havana/ghetto kyote/tingz in boots/100s of others- ruff sqwad
strings hoe/go/streetfighter- dizzee (i wouldn't count fix up look sharp or jus a rascal in this)
private caller- skepta
bongo eyes- bossman
warriors/gladiator- alias (there are loads of alias beats you could mention i guess)

i'm just going off the top of my head here, i'll have a proper think on it later.

you could always give www.grimetapes.com a shout as well ;)

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
bigshot- stomp
anna/havana/ghetto kyote/tingz in boots/100s of others- ruff sqwad
strings hoe/go/streetfighter- dizzee (i wouldn't count fix up look sharp or jus a rascal in this)
private caller- skepta
bongo eyes- bossman
warriors/gladiator- alias (there are loads of alias beats you could mention i guess)

i'm just going off the top of my head here, i'll have a proper think on it later.

you could always give www.grimetapes.com a shout as well ;)

The earliest Ruff Sqwad I know of (Anna/Down/Tings In Boots) was all in 2004 isn't it?

When was Skepta's "Private Caller" made...2005, right? I haven't gotten there yet with the list...I wanna shore up what happened between 2000-2003 first.

As far as Dizzee goes I have to include those songs because those were his singles and videos...unless you're willing to upload all of his early vinyl to YouTube so people who read my blog could hear his early 12's as well. Ho, Go & Streetfighter are nowhere to be found and only Hoe even appears on Discogs...see what I mean?

Thanks.

One.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Okay then...

A very informative post by Plasticman on the early period of ukg/grime (circa 1999 and beyond) from the early days of Dissensus is here, hope it helps:

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?p=9327#post9327

Thanks, this is what I'm talking about! I didn't know that Skepta's "D.T.I./Pirate Station Anthem" was from 2003 and I forgot all about Donae'o and I never even mentioned Sticky's other productions.

The big problem for me came because between 2000-2002 I remembered all of these joints but I was foggy on 2003. 2004-2006 I have a damn good memory of, though. I didn't know that there was actually a slowdown in Grime releases in 2003. I just thought I was crazy.

Good lookin' out!

One.

elgato

I just dont know
'Oh No' by Oxide and Neutrino (So Solid) should be in the list as well, imo.

for some reason on the weekend i found myself perusing Oxide & Neutrino and So Solid classics on youtube, and was really feeling some of them. sick sick beats. vocals are not my favourite but quite jokes. also good for the ludicrous videos, Up Middle Finger is particularly amusing

what at the time was the response from the garage scene? were they generally very quickly alienated from it?

Itchy & Scratchy

what at the time was the response from the garage scene? were they generally very quickly alienated from it?
"Forty year olds in this garage committee, arguing over dear old we that's a pity, we represent you, now that's kinda shitty, that's why *something, something* and I take the mickey."

- "Return of da Supa" by Oxide & Neutrino​

I remember trying to write a report on Garage for my GCSE Media Studies project around about late 2001. I never really got any further than this article from the Guardian about the reaction to the likes of O&N et al. from the "old guard". Suffice to say the report never got written.

elgato

I just dont know
nice one for the article, very funny. the committee thing is so so jokes

there was also the thing about Anthill Mob taking Heartless to court arguing that their lyrics over Burnin constituted "derogatory treatment" of the copyright wasnt there?! that is a mad one

sorry PD if this is derailing, but it might be of interest to you too? if not i can take it elsewhere...

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
I remember that!

nice one for the article, very funny. the committee thing is so so jokes

there was also the thing about Anthill Mob taking Heartless to court arguing that their lyrics over Burnin constituted "derogatory treatment" of the copyright wasnt there?! that is a mad one

sorry PD if this is derailing, but it might be of interest to you too? if not i can take it elsewhere...

"Bushkin, Bushkin, Bushkin, Bushkin!"

I knew a girl that used to looooove Heartless Crew and she played those goddamn "Crisp Biscuit" CD's to death. She loved "Burnin". I remember when they goes sued for using it as well. I never really liked their music, their radio shows....yeah.

"Crisp Biscuit!"

LOL.

One.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've been listening to that bok-bok blogariddims mix recently and its made me realise that I want to be a grime instrumental