Nobody Beats the Diz

Mr H

don't know if any of the brit based cru have been tuned to bbc4 for the last couple of hours but there was live coverage from the barbican of tonights jazz britannia concert that was 'curated' (sorry simon!) by gilles peterson.

the first half consisted of tracks by michael garrick, stan tracey and a tribute to joe harriot by soweto kinch interspersed with interviews with gp and john fordham of the guardian who was talking about how brit jazz was unburdened by the blues and looked to europe as much as america.

so far, so nice. cue the second half and the arrival of the matthew herbert big band with a very special guest. none other than dizzee rascal steps to the stage and bigs up matt for allowing him to take this music to new places. they do a song called 'world outside' and although dizzee appears to come in a bit early and sounds a bit stiff at first, he soon starts to flow over the sounds of big band jazz and sounds bad!!

Chorus goes:

There's a world outside the manor I want you to see it,
There's a world outside the endz I want you to see it,
There's a world outside the ghetto I want you to see it.

sure this will be further evidence for some people that he has deserted the scene that made him or that it signals the beginning of the end of his raw brilliance but you gotta respect him for trying new tings. i noticed that he's also doing something with tony allen as part of the ether festival. afro-grime anyone??

Mr H

bbc4's a digital tv channel in the uk dedicated to arts and kulchur. they do tend to repeat a lot of things if that's any use??

mms

sometimes
he's doing some stuff for that africa remixed festival on the south bank isn't he?
heard he was doing some stuff with tony allen for it.

redcrescent

Mr H said:
i noticed that he's also doing something with tony allen as part of the ether festival. afro-grime anyone??
An interesting juxtaposition, for sure, but I hope Dizzee fares better than Ty (pre-Upwards), who's previously toured with Tony Allen. A piss-poor performance, IMHO, his mild-mannered sing-song style totally unsuited to the full-on polyrhythmic assault going all around him. I, for one, spent most of the gig just staring at Tony Allen's wrists.