creel pone & that

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
does anybody know of any decent books detailing the history of experimental electronic music (as in tape, concrete etc).

I've been really getting into the Creel Pone label- the stuff is so cheap and a real labour of love and i think the guy behind it makes next to no money from it.

Some of this stuff is just the craziest shit- i'll put up some reccomendations in a bit but if interested, follow this link:

http://www.mimaroglumusicsales.com/labels/creel+pone.html

aMinadaB

does anybody know of any decent books detailing the history of experimental electronic music (as in tape, concrete etc).
The history of electronic music, if we are talking about the 1950s and 1960s, is fundamentally an experimental music history, so any well-researched history should cover aspects of the topics you mentioned (tape, concrete). If you understand Stockhausen's synthesis in Gesang, then you understand something of the pre- and post-history of the relationship between concrete and purely electronic-based tape music, since Stockhausen both showed through that piece, and articulated in writing, that the opposition was a false dichotomy ... things become much more interesting theoretically once you've worked your way through listening to that period, and once you've absorbed more about how the music was actually made, technically speaking ...

How is your french? There are some good works on concrete I could recommend...Chion is going to be featured in an upcoming issue of the Wire, will be interesting to see what he has to say (has written plenty on the subject already, also on sound in film) ...

Simon Reynolds seems to post many book covers of electronic music on his blog, though he rarely discusses any of them (the last thing I remember was an ill-informed and pedantic comment on Cage). But you will find titles there. The Griffiths' book is good, there are many others, depending on your interests and level of technical expertise. There is an enormous literature on the subject, ranging from the cute histories to very technical treatises in both journal and monograph form (Curtis Roads' book is a standard one on the history of computer music, but will be almost unreadable for many readers).
I've been really getting into the Creel Pone label-.
In the hipster blogger world, Creel Pone has become almost a brand name for 'hey i'm listening to weird historical electronic music', though you rarely ever find anyone actually describing what it is they like so much, much less offering an analysis or history of any of it ... the po-mo hipster network marches on, lol ...
Some of this stuff is just the craziest shit- i'll put up some reccomendations in a bit
Please do, would be curious what people think about individual releases.

There have been threads on Creel Pone before:

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=6797

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=4922&highlight=creel+pone

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
thanks for all that- funnily enough the reason i'm asking is cos i fully intend to explain exactly what it is i like about it and yeah, i realise its hipster credentials.

I have the Roads book and stuff by Stockhausen and articles by the bigger names as well as Labelle's book on sound art and Noise Water Meat blah blah

I guess there is no specific focussed history on just that genre- articles etc are probably the best way to go.

What's caught my interest right now is the plunderphonics element and just how far back this goes. It's interesting to see it used in a much less polemical fashion than people like John Oswald and Negativeland- fascinating how the samples are used to construct these incredible sonic landscapes- fragmented and entirely unpredictable. And of course from the technical level, the equipment dictates the structure. I remember reading something that Delia Derbishire had said- disappointment with synths or something because it took away from the way that she had constructed compositions. Got me thinking about Burial too- how Cool Edit is a vital part of the sound- how it can't be removed from the equation with the various editing tools co-authoring the beats, giving it that slight kink in the rhythm.

I guess what really appeals right now is the open-structure, years of (still happily active) surrendering to repetitive beats means i can really dig the fragmented nature of the stuff.

So, i'm enjoying Paul Boisselet, Ruth White's 2 (esp the damaged vocals on Flowers of Evil), Morris Knight's just wonderful After Guernica (ambient clash and end-of-the-world poetry), Edward Zajda (esp for the sudden plundered elements which arrive and vanish without warning). Sorry for lack of eloquence but its late and i can;t find suitable words right now but i'm working on a post which will hopefully read well.

Coincidentally, Mordant Music's recent Travelogues pieces have a very similar structural approach...

nochexxx

harco pronting
What's caught my interest right now is the plunderphonics element and just how far back this goes. It's interesting to see it used in a much less polemical fashion than people like John Oswald and Negativeland- fascinating how the samples are used to construct these incredible sonic landscapes- fragmented and entirely unpredictable. /QUOTE]

yes i love henry jacobs and arthur lipsett's music precisely for these reasons. especially henry!

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
thinking in reverse...

reading about it, concrete takcled sound entirely differently to people like cage- cage is obsessed with allowing natural sounds speak for themselves (whatever that means) and concrete has everything as malleable and removed from the source. So plunderphonics i guess begins (generally but i know this is not entirely true obviously) with sampling as sound in itself- purely aural.

The development into polemical sampling then finds an intriguing meeting ground between environmental composers- plundered sounds but specifically maintaining that link to the original in terms of the audience knowing that the intention is beyond mere sonics.

i've just realised this is probably nonsense. Stockhausen's Hymnen- when was that? That probably buggers up my already shaky idea anyway.

yes i love henry jacobs and arthur lipsett's music precisely for these reasons. especially henry!

Jacobs i don't know at all so thanks for that. Arthur Lipsett- he made films too yeah?

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
because of the nature of it, because there must be so much stuff out there and almost impossible to find other than the usual suspects, what can you do anyway?

I have so many of them now and i love the lot- whoever is doing the sourcing and the MMS store whispers about some Pynchonesque cabal of researchers etc etc they have really high standards.

Also, i'm finding that i have no interest at the moment in even thinking about whether the stuff is good or not and i'm not even sure that that is even relevant. I mean i've heard lots of this stuff before over long periods of time but i've never set about absorbing it in such a hardcore way- right now its an obsession and i'm just loving it for the affect. In time, maybe i will want to get more critical about different releases.

But its all great- i really love the way the dubstep is going right now (the new appleblim allstars is wonderful) and the aquacrunk stuff is making me dance like a springyfool and creel pone is there to batter the synaptic parts of my body when my legs shout at me to stop.

I've not heard the Jones/ Sablosky one yet. I just got iatrogenics- songs, melodies (MELODIES?!?!?!) - its even stranger for being so hummable...

http://www.mimaroglumusicsales.com/artists/victoria+hendricks.html

IMO the best book on the history of c20 experimental music is Morphogenesis memeber Roger Sutherland 's "New Perspectives in Music". Begins with Russolo, Webern and moves through Cage to live electronics, improvisation etc. Really an excellent book, inclusive, very clearly structured and written, meticulously researched. Won't be of much use if you're looking for recording "picks" however.

('hey i'm listening to weird historical electronic music' has always and will always be a classic hipster move)

I think calling people hipsters is a classic hipster move. the few people i know with a genuine interest in this area are hardly what I'd think of as, "hip". Seriously this word gets chucked around pejoratively on here all the time, particularly when things move outside the cultural mainstream, it doesn't seem necessary. I assume it's shorthand for people taking an interest in things to make themselves look interesting, and we all know that goes on across the board.

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
Won't be of much use if you're looking for recording "picks" however.

NO no that sounds perfect- thanks alot as i really would not have found my way to that.

the few people i know with a genuine interest in this area are hardly what I'd think of as, "hip"

hahahah for sure. I don't exactly do my Saturday Night Fever strut, shaking my ass and brandishing my exciting new Basil Kirchin reissue. I mean, that IS how i met my wife but you know, i'm getting old now- leave the hipness to the kids and all that.

Although, i have heard that there is this vomit disc jockey called Kode11 who plays grubstep. Thats what all the kids are into now. I read it on the Guardian blog. Don't tell everyone though Its underground. :cool:

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
i have to recommend this if you haven't heard it: http://www.furious.com/PERFECT/ohm/

i've got disc 1 on hard drive if anyone wants me to upload it.

for stockhausen's etudes and other electronic compositions, elektronische musik 52-60 is more or less comprehensive. i don't think it includes hymnen however. hymnen iirc was the inspiration for revolution #9. stock says he and lennon used to talk on the phone all the time.

"In this music, vertical and diagonal movements are composed for the first time, in addition to the horizontal movements in the earlier 4-channel or 8-channel electronic music.": http://www.mediafire.com/?lxlyzizmxdt

Stockhausen RIP

EDIT: Sorry you were looking for lit. Noise/Music: A history by Paul Hegarty is excellent. It may be more far-ranging than what you're looking for as it covers the Japanese noise scene and other derivations of electroacoustic music.

Electroacoustic music is definitely *not* hipster, at least not "hipster" in the sense I understand the word (ie wealthy suburban kids from Virginia who invade NY in droves wearing quirky t-shirts and shit). This video sums up what I mean:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
yeah, i was going to mention hymnen and the beatles and thanks loads for the Hegarty ref- i remember him now- i'm heading straight there...

OHM is one of the greatest comps ever- i got it with the additional dvd too which makes me happy all the time. The Sub Rosa comps are great too but sometimes more for historical interest more than the quality but thats 10% of many hours of genius.

however, all of this pales into utter significance compared to the video- in fact all of music merits nothing compared to the hipster olympics- i can only hold out hope that the london olympics are listening :D

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Intriguing bibliography of books and articles relating to 'electro-acoustic' music.

http://www.amrhome.net/contents/elearl.txt (from http://www.amrhome.net/contents/).

Mostly more technical and theoretical / critical than historical by the look of it but in these circles that kind of amounts to the same thing. Lots of stuff there to try and hunt down. I found it doing a search for pics of 'Electric Music - A Practical Manual' by John Jenkins & Jon Smith of which I have a copy. It's a real basic textbook on 'electric' music that goes from how amps work up to some nice discussion of using VCS3s and so on.