N.E.R.D-Seeing Sounds (2008)

crackerjack

Yet again, my fellow Dissensians disappoint me by not starting a thread for this fantastic LP themselves. I can't stop playing "Happy", "Laugh About It", "Sooner Or Later", "Love Bomb" or "Lazer Gun" (bonus track).

You can read my review of it here @ my blog Poisonous Paragraphs:

http://poisonousparagraphs.blogspot.com/2008/06/whats-new-in-darts-ipod-33-aka-truth.html

One.

This is a pretty average album and you've picked out all the wrong tracks too.

You are wanted here though
http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?p=139705#post139705

stelfox

Beast of Burden
this is a horrible, horrible, horrible album.

and, yes, right now i'd much rather be listening to al green.

Last edited:

tox

Factory Girl
Was disparately trying to find this on a legal MP3 site yesterday evening but ended up yarr-ing for lack of a DRM-free option. I'm currently in a total neptunes phase, downloading vast swathes of their discography so I was pretty excited to get hold of a new release - which reminds me; anyone got the neptunes remix of Dizzee's Graftin'?

Seeing Sounds, like most of their stuff seems to be pretty patchy, with a couple of moments of brilliance. The sounds are mostly nice, but some of pharrell's lyrics, and in particular the constant references to nursery rhymes is pretty tiring (case in point Spaz and Kill Joy). Laugh About It is a goodun though, up their with stuff like Lil' Suzie and Bobby James.

For my money the electronic version of "In Search Of..." is still the best nerd record though!

crackerjack

1xtra was just playing a new Common tune produced by Neptunes. That was some serioulsy mental shit, miles better than anything on this

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
first album was a slice of pure strange genius.

then the re-recorded version with real instruments just seemed like the most bizarre joke.

second album was incredible disappointment.

So this is sounding pretty crap then?

really enjoying it, more than Carter 3 and more than the Nas tape. It's odd and it's annoying as fuck in places but this is a good album.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Lay It Down is damn good!

this is a horrible, horrible, horrible album.

and, yes, right now i'd much rather be listening to al green.

Lay It Down is an excellent album. I actually enjoy them both but it's good to hear Al sounding like Al again. God bless Questlove and James Poyser.

Now just if someone could somehow salvage what's left of Amy Winehouse. Sad to think I actually had a thing for her at one point in time. SMH.

One.

gumdrops

first album is the fucking shit.

this one....

im not so sure about. weak songwriting and some of pharrells shittest most irritatingly self obsessed (im sure one line actually has him moaning about 'you didnt want to fuck me') lyrics ruin it. but it has some moments of real musical brilliance. its just a bit 'pharrell in his sleep'. and not a great sleep either.

Last edited: