GAS - mike ink, wolfgang voight etc..

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Yeah I've jumped on the GAS bandwagon of late. I never bothered with the CDs back in the day, but now they sound kinda reet...At the time they reminded me too much of MBV or BOWERY ELECTRIC, and I was strictly Basic Channel, but I really love the Studio Eins stuff...Now that I'm on Prozac from taking too much ecstasy, this sort of melancholy, dark music works really well...Sorta like Poledo by Dinosaur Jr meet Twin Peaks/David Lynch/Angelo Badalmenti meets Vangelis on the Blade Runner soundtrack...

Mike Ink looks like the new David Bowie in his pictures. Shame he hasn't made any music for nearly a decade, but I guess thats what happens when yr running a multi-million dollar record label!

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
ohhhhhhh GAS- i'm beyond-anxiously awaiting the arrival of the boxset.

Konigsforst is just one of the sublime slabs of ambient melancholy ever and ur absolutely otm as regards MBV- it is some of the foggiest music ever recorded. And of course, both we're products of ecstasy whether they like it or not. I have to admit to liking Pop as equally even though it is the broadest move away from Voigt's template.

Is funny that both should resurface at the same time and somewhat sad that neither has yet to produce anything new.

zhao

there are no accidents
i hear GAS and K. Shields have been secretly collaborating for the past 10 years with guests like Mick Harris and Thomas Koner, and the results are gonna come out on a 6+6 CD box set with all material remixed by Burial.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I somehow never really spent much time with the GAS records, although lots of people I know raved about them, even those not so into tech things.

Love the Burger / Ink - Las Vegas album (with Jorg Burger) though. And 'Life's A Gas' on Love Inc.'s 'Life's A Gas' is amazing.

zhao

there are no accidents
I somehow never really spent much time with the GAS records

not sure if we can really let this slide. guys? no really, they are pretty unique as a pensive off-shoot of teutonic minimalism, with unusual depth and feeling...

by contrast i thought Las Vegas was completely snoozy

noel emits

Shoegaze for baldies.

Nah, I just never heard it properly. Probably only on someone's crappy speakers and it just sounds like a flat soporific wash. Could tell it was very nice though. This was in the days before everyone had everything remember.

zhao

there are no accidents
Shoegaze for baldies.

hey some of us just got those genes we can't help it!
m_8942c4303c7dec2e8a80c91fa077e5f5.jpg

it'll happen to you one day you'll see :mad:

This was in the days before everyone had everything remember.

trying... to... remember... error... hard drive overload

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
i hear GAS and K. Shields have been secretly collaborating for the past 10 years with guests like Mick Harris and Thomas Koner, and the results are gonna come out on a 6+6 CD box set with all material remixed by Burial.

If i don't get to hear this in the next 2 weeks i'm coming round your house :D

zhao

there are no accidents
um yeh why would it be remixed by burial - i don't really see burial being mixed into the equation except on the rumour mill.

i hear Burial is going to do both the GAS and Rhythm and Sound catalogs right after he finishes remixing all the old Triple Six Mafia Memphis Underground tapes.

noel emits

Looking forward to the doublepack of My Bloody Valentine remixes by 2525, Pervertlist, Swimming Jaguar, Crustie and Harisson Mullet.

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
The one linked is incredible- bizarre smack-house- menacing but not through volume or speed- just ... odd.

And its remixed from this which is Sheilds, Martin, and Sonic Boom and the drummer from AMM whose name escapes me right now: http://www.discogs.com/release/295839

This is also amazing- rolling freeform drones and tones which suddenly hit quite ecstatic pitches- antiquated electronics, wonderfully weird thin guitar from shields and bug's sax is just a vague cloud.

I always meant to check out more of E.A.R.'s stuff but still haven't managed to get round to it.