School me on Romanthony

DavidD

can't be stopped
Thanks to that "ilmixor" blog or whatever I heard "Wreck" and of course I know that song from Discovery, but what else is there? I need some romanthony in my life. You can go up and down and side to side. Yeah.

Backjob

DavidD said:
Thanks to that "ilmixor" blog or whatever I heard "Wreck" and of course I know that song from Discovery, but what else is there? I need some romanthony in my life. You can go up and down and side to side. Yeah.

I think some of his finer moments are as follows:

"Everybody dancin" has this fantastic stripped back rawness and minimalism to it.

"The wanderer" is his best "when doves cry" creepy spiritualism moment.

"Hold on" is fantastic uplifting gospel business, one of those records that can genuinely make people cry at the end of a night.

"I am the DJ" is pretty anthemic stuff also, and a good example of his spoken words over banging club track style.

adam

DavidD said:

Cool! I'm pleased you liked it. I was going back and forth between posting that or the WIT/Black Strobe thing.

egg

Dumpy's Rusty Nut
avoid the first lp he did for glasgow underground.

find 'ministry of love' (azuli) - it twats 'hold on' - quite a bit of stuff of his on azuli, 'testify' is good too but I don't think it's under his name
and you must must get 'the wanderer', i second that, if possible the whole 12", it#'s a thing of beauty
also try searching for 'black male' records, that's his label
really apart from the first GU album i think you'll find most of his output has merit. if you see any in 2nd hand shops definitely listen and/or buy. a heads up that it's not all house, he has some hip hop/r&b moments too, bit like li'l louis

anyone got a list of his aliases?

DavidD

can't be stopped
egg said:
a heads up that it's not all house, he has some hip hop/r&b moments too, bit like li'l louis
Sounds fantastic!

And thanks for posting that Adam! I had it on loop all last night.

egg

Dumpy's Rusty Nut
yeh quite doofuslike I never thought of the similarities before, but they are both utter geniuses

utter utter geniuses

egg

Dumpy's Rusty Nut
oh hold on i think i just ballsed up :eek: :eek:

'wreck' is off that sodding GU album innit?

so is the rest of it poo?

try 'countdown 2000', 'trust' (female vocal) and 'let me show you love' for superdeep romanthony - the 1st 2 do the same trick of being totally sparse for ages (vocal & drum only) until a funky full arrangement comes in

'romanworld' on azuli looks like a good comp but reputed bad sound quality

mms

sometimes
i like that fall from grace track alot, really cos it sounds like a screwed up prince bootleg tho