gilles peterson

luka

in 96 when i was 16 jungle was dead hip-hop had lost a lot of its appeal and although i had mates who had been listening to stations like london underground and freek for a while i wasn't really that into it at the time and i was looking for something to fill the gap and i was flicking through the dial on a sunday and found this mans show... now gilles peterson is a dirty word and for good reason. i came to loathe his polite aesthetic before he moved to radio 1 but on reflection hima dn his acolytes (patrick forge, ross allen) introduced me to some good things....
things i first heard through GP include
sun ra
pharoah saunders
alice coltrane
dr octagon
nick drake
abbey lincoln
horace silver
syl johnson
archie shepp
oscar brown jr
sylvia striplin
terry callier

and plenty of others i can't be bothered to think about....
thats a pretty good haul. so i say, thank you gilles, for expanding my musical horizons....

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
I got hold of a 'Jazz' compilation he did , it's all a bit lukewarm to be honest. His TalkinLoud label have released a right load of balls. But he's certainly put UK jazz on the map again. I'd like to go to one of his jazz parties just see what people do to these old 60s records, dunno where he plays these days though.

tox

Factory Girl
Gilles Peterson is my favourite dj ever, be it radio or in a club setting.

I discovered him while listening to late night radio one, back when i was revising for my GCSEs and his constantly evolving selection of music has shaped my tastes ever since. Worldwide has introduced me to countless genres, let along artists. I doubt I'd even be on Dissensus if it wasn't for him spinning I Luv U back when Dizzee was just breaking through. I think his main quality is his genuine and relentless enthusiasm for good music of any kind. Perhaps its this open attitude that has him branded as a scenester, but without knowing the guy personally, he comes across as very genuine. And who cares when the quality control is so high anyway? He seems to have a knowledge of a range of musical genres to rival any music nerd, but remains enviably honest in his selection.

I'm a total fan boy. I find it amazing that listening to Worldwide 7 years after first discovering it Gilles still spins tunes that constantly surprise.

STN

sou'wester
I respect the guy in a way and my personal Petersen discovery is Dawning by Pharoah Sanders and 23 Skidoo, but I think he loves music too much, i.e. he exercises no discernment. He's too enthusiastic (ha!).

mms

sometimes
stn you're right - he can't filter out the stuff that's just a bit naff, but then when he does a good retroactive compilation he seems to get it right.
Yeah he's alright - it's easy to diss him but essentially he's fighting the right corner.