Origins of Goth

labrat

hot on the heels of love
I’ve been thinking about the above but this here internet is chock full of Gothdom and I dunno where to start….
(I recon I smell a few ex-goths on Dissensus)
I’m thinking more about the Leeds/Sisters scene rather than the London/Batcave end of things …anyone know a good website??

swears

preppy-kei
I think it's funny how now anybody who looks a bit metal is described as a "goth". In my day (late 90s teenager) it was "moshers", which is better 'cause it's not as specific.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
You could do worse than listen to this Some grils wander by mistake by the sisters. In purely historical terms Bauhaus in the UK were the first band with a hit, don't forget they were from Northampton but it really grew out of elements of the post-punk and metal/rock scene. There was loadsa stuff happening in the US as well, don't have the links i'm afraid.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Goths are one of my least favourite subcultures. They look awful, they are into darkness and weird violence and being defiant even though they are the most passive-aggressive, self-pitying, insecure wimps ever. They are like math class punks. And they look like shit.

The music has been good sometimes though.

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
It's origins can be found in late 70's punk bands:

Siouxsie and the Banshees>>Adam and the Antz>>Gloria Mundi>>UK Decay

labrat

hot on the heels of love
i was thinking more of it's social origins in northern towns ...the fathersham Leeds..why???
i recon the huge impact of Goth in the north could be the weather:confused:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
even though they are the most passive-aggressive, self-pitying, insecure wimps ever. They are like math class punks. And they look like shit.

Are you sure you're not confusing goths with emos? I'm not champioing goths per se, but it's unfair to group 'proper' goths (whom I do feel a vague sort of respect for, if they do it properly) with fashionably depressed little shits in My Chemical Romance hoodies and skinny jeans.

And that's without even mentioning the Camden-Lock-market 'cybergoth' pricks. Which is the way it should be.

swears

preppy-kei
I used to work with a girl who was a "cybergoth" at the weekend. She was quite fit, but that getup made her look like a right muppet.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Goths are one of my least favourite subcultures. They look awful, they are into darkness and weird violence and being defiant even though they are the most passive-aggressive, self-pitying, insecure wimps ever. They are like math class punks. And they look like shit.
That definitely sounds more like emo-kids if we're making broad generalisations.

Goths I've worked with have generally been pretty sound people with interests in cyder and linux. Shit music taste though. ;)