Ramsey Campbell

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
Have been reading him for years- anybody else out there heard/ read him?

Having a re-read at the moment- of particular excellence is The Hungry Moon and The Influence...

CHAOTROPIC

on account
He's great. My favourite is 'Incarnate' ... the way it builds momentum is brilliant. Genuinely disquieting writer I think ... disempowerment, betrayal, loved ones turning on you. Beautiful allegories of madness.

CHAOTROPIC

on account
Yeah, or unsettling. It's easy to see why people compare him to M J James. When I was a kid, all his books were out of print & my copies were treasured jumble-sale 'finds', which made reading them seem even more deliciously illicit.

'The Hungry Moon' is next on my list, actually ... 50 more pages of 'Pnin', then the new Mark Z Danielewski, & then I'm getting stuck in :cool:

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
hahaha yeah- there's something really special about jumble-sale finds.

Hungry Moon is incredible really- almost epic in its concerns- apocolyptic but somehow incredibly small and intimate- not an easy thing to pull off by any means.

MR James i get for sure- a concern for landscape and what surely makes the best horror/ supernatural fiction- location within the real- humdrum lives, humdrum locales- nothing special at all.