Kanye West, sensitive soul...

Benny Bunter

You should all have a look at this article on the Quietus blog about yer man Kanye, its bloody hilarious :D

Got me wondering whether he's really lost it completely. Like everyone else I loved his first album, quite liked the second and thought his last effort was gash. But what about his productions for other artists? I've not really kept up with them...:slanted:

crackerjack

You should all have a look at this article on the Quietus blog about yer man Kanye, its bloody hilarious :D

Got me wondering whether he's really lost it completely. Like everyone else I loved his first album, quite liked the second and thought his last effort was gash. But what about his productions for other artists? I've not really kept up with them...:slanted:

1st album was genius,. 2nd one was good, 3rd was kinda OK, no better.

He bigs himself up to a 95% white audience but that’s cool because his music has had about that percentage of all that tricky ‘blackness’ sucked out of it anyway.

White journalist pontificating on what constitutes 'blackness'? Oh dear. Sorry, I was at that gig and it wasn't much cop but this is a hatchet job and i don't buy this piece. Plus radiohead are currently playing live just a few hundred yards from my window so I'm in a foul fucking mood.

Benny Bunter

I dunno, I don't think he had to exaggerate too much to make Kanye look so ridiculously pompous, coz he is. I think its good having pieces like this to puncture an over inflated ego now and then. And its not just Kanye he's attacking, its the whole capitalist circus and falsity that he's surrounded himself in.

That said, he definitely under-represents his producing talent in the article. Which is why I was asking people here about the good stuff he's been doing over the last couple of years with other artists. I'm sure there must be quite a lot to redress the balance after his last shitty album that I don't know about.

(apart from Lollipop remix which I have heard and is obviously great)

Last edited:

Amplesamples

I like Kanye West's music - the only single I've hated from him was "Touch The Sky', which was an awful P. Diddy style karaoke singalong. And why do rappers sing so badly? Is it because singing is seen as effeminate? Anyway, I digress.

I like Kanye's production on Jay Z's The Blueprint album - that's the first time I heard his music. Also his work on Common's "Be" album is great. He produced some good stuff for Brandy and Alicia Keys (You Don't Know My Name is an amazing philly-soul style production, and yes I know it's a sample, but it's so well used).

I didn't think his last album was that shitty - I prefer it to his second one. What's the problem with the third album?

Benny Bunter

I didn't think his last album was that shitty - I prefer it to his second one. What's the problem with the third album?

I haven't spent much time with it tbh, might give it another go. Just remember that horrible track that sampled Can, and I didn't care much for Stronger either.

My personal Kanye fave is We Major. Amazing, epic production on that one.

crackerjack

I dunno, I don't think he had to exaggerate too much to make Kanye look so ridiculously pompous, coz he is. I think its good having pieces like this to puncture an over inflated ego now and then. And its not just Kanye he's attacking, its the whole capitalist circus and falsity that he's surrounded himself in.

That said, he definitely under-represents his producing talent in the article. Which is why I was asking people here about the good stuff he's been doing over the last couple of years with other artists. I'm sure there must be quite a lot to redress the balance after his last shitty album that I don't know about.

(apart from Lollipop remix which I have heard and is obviously great)

sorry, did warn you i was in a foul mood, and i've just had the sex scene in Tie Me Up Time Me Down spoilt by a load of berry radiohead fans shouting outside my flat, so expect more of the same.

i just thought he conflated a really good story (the thing about Kanye stopping the gig to flash his review onstage is hilarious) with a hatchet job to make it more than it was (fwiw, his account of the Westminster is somewhat dishonest, as i recall). The gig was a bit of a scrappy mess, because it was being filmed and there was a lot of stop-start. When Kanye really plays he's actually fucking great, one of the few rap performers today who can really carry off a big gig.

And yeah, i know the capitalist circus and media partners and corporate hoo ha is a great big fucking fart blowing off in your face every single time and his points on this are fair enough (and well made), and mayeb I'm just being petty because he's visiting the sins of the industry on one artist I happen to really like. But then what's the alternative in these days of downloading? A bunch of sanctimonious tossers in the park next door to me posing as monks while dreaming up gigantic publicity stunts that benefit them and screw anyone who hasn't had the benefit of EMI's publicity department working their case for the previous 15 years.

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
john16_lge1.jpg

This photo reminds me of that episode of Father Ted where he offends some Chinese people by accident, then does a slideshow to promote diversity on the island, and he slips in a picture of himself hanging out with a black guy.

That is all.

gumdrops

i loved early kanye - his mix cds and some of those early beats and the funny freestyles he used to be but now i find him very punchable. another stupid arrogant mega star too in love with himself. all that conscience vs consumerism 'im so conflicted' shtick got boring and started to look quite fake a long time ago. hes just the new pharrell now. i used to think he was a professional big head but now i think he genuinely is just a big head tosser.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I can't stand him or his tunes but have you seen what he's doing live nowadays? I'd definitely go and see him live, he would have killed it at Glastonbury with this, I had no idea