Sun Ra "Sleeping Beauty"

Woebot

Yay! I thought the Art Yard Saturn reissues had petered out (Media Dream, its only alright innit......) but theyve really pulled out all the stops and put out "Sleeping Beauty" (Kisses sky) My favourite Ra record!

AshRa

Trouble is, there's a pressing fault and they've all got to go back until a repress is done!!

WAHHHHH!!!

Woebot

AshRa said:
Trouble is, there's a pressing fault and they've all got to go back until a repress is done!!

WAHHHHH!!!

really!?!

theres a note on mine to the effect that "we did the best we can with the source material"

honest jons distrib. in the uk
forced exposure (or however theyre spelling it) in the us

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I'm not into all Sun Ra, but I heard 10 minutes of this on The Wire's Resonance show, and it was absolutely awesome. As fluid and languid as, er, Languidity, which (in the absence of 100s of £s to spend on tunes) remains my favourite Sun Ra, but Sleeping Beauty is even more fragile and sensuous.

heiku

I'm with y'all on the sensual attributes of Sleeping Beauty. The Horo lps occasionally had a similar feel but the Fender Rhodes on SB kinda puts it over the top. So was this a vinyl only reappearance?

On Jupiter is almost as enjoyable ("UFO", the Arkestra's sole attempt at disco, is hilariously shambling) but hard copies remain hopelessly lost to the majority of us.

One more for those with a taste for LanQuidity (note the Q, a Ra variant perhaps?) and Sleeping Beauty is Strange Celestial Road. More downtempo chug dripping with glorious Fender electric piano. Rounder gave it a CD issue in the late 90s. I think Sun Ra mothballed his Rhodes after this-- although I can't claim to have heard the entirety of his discog.

AshRa

WOEBOT said:
really!?!

theres a note on mine to the effect that "we did the best we can with the source material"

honest jons distrib. in the uk
forced exposure (or however theyre spelling it) in the us

Honest Jons told us not to sell any until it's remastered. Apparently it starts clicking and skipping about a minute into track 1....

AshRa

Oops! :eek: I've just listened to a copy of "Sleeping Beauty" on my headphones and I can't find any sign of the problem Honest Jons reported. There are a few minor crackles and pops in the last third of the title track, but the remastering is so lush (check out hwo zingy the hi-hats sound!) it's leaps and bounds ahead of the usual Sun Ra bootleg vinyl quality!

JOY!

PS There's an interesting-looking Sun Ra DVD on the horizon - i've lost the e-mail but I think it's by the guy who made the "Cry Of Jazz" film (featuring Arkestra) is it called the Magic Sun? I think it's out in a couple of weeks anyway...

Woebot

AshRa said:
Honest Jons told us not to sell any until it's remastered. Apparently it starts clicking and skipping about a minute into track 1....

sounds fine to my one good ear too!

LRJP!

(Between Blank & Boring)
how limited are the Art Yard reissues? i've been looking about for a copy of Media Dream for a few months and never seen it (could well not be looking hard enough mind).

You have all got me really hyped on Sleepng Beauty!

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I heard this again today, and was going to big it up. But then I found I'd already done it upthread. Nevertheless, bloody hell, this is so so so good. I'd swap a whole parallel universe full of Heliocentric Worlds-esque nonsense for this dream-like vibe.

mms

sometimes
AshRa said:
Oops! :eek: I've just listened to a copy of "Sleeping Beauty" on my headphones and I can't find any sign of the problem Honest Jons reported. There are a few minor crackles and pops in the last third of the title track, but the remastering is so lush (check out hwo zingy the hi-hats sound!) it's leaps and bounds ahead of the usual Sun Ra bootleg vinyl quality!

JOY!

PS There's an interesting-looking Sun Ra DVD on the horizon - i've lost the e-mail but I think it's by the guy who made the "Cry Of Jazz" film (featuring Arkestra) is it called the Magic Sun? I think it's out in a couple of weeks anyway...

don letts has done one too
i got disco 3000 the other day one side the first side is fantastic

mms

sometimes
i ordered this from gerald jazzman and he sent me on jupiter instead by accident which is also very ace indeed