Cumbia

rosebeast

So....I've really been getting in to a lot of this stuff lately, and I'm very psyched about all the blogs that seem to have arisen out of nowhere and who have been shedding light on this kind of music. I used to use a site called tecnoramba which was amazing for finding loads of mp3s but that seems to have gone down now though. I don't suppose anyone might know an alternative?

3 Body No Problem

Cumbia is really a traditional Colombian form of music, but in the last couple of years there are other forms of music, for example from Mexico, called Cumbia, but they don't sound like the traditional Colombian music.

Same term for different forms of music, very confusing, see also: 2-Step, Hardcore, Freestyle ...

rosebeast

I've been really feeling the synth heavy cumbia that's been coming out lately. I think some people have been calling it cumbia crunk.

zhao

there are no accidents
just about the best classic style comp i know of is this, drop a few cuts at almost any party and the crowd will go nuts:

zzcolombiathegoldenag_101b.jpg

i just got this but have not listened, "electro cumbia" from a hot club named after the slovenian theorist:

zzksoundvol1jy0.jpg

i'm dying to hear and know more of the new Mexican, Argentinian and other new and strange drugged up styles...

mos dan

fact music
So....I've really been getting in to a lot of this stuff lately, and I'm very psyched about all the blogs that seem to have arisen out of nowhere and who have been shedding light on this kind of music.

what are these blogs? my mate at wordthecat.com is good for this kind of thing, and it always tears it up when he plays cumbia at our house parties.. but i need some links :)

zhao

there are no accidents
also check out dick el demasiado, a dutch guy who's been living in buenos aires for years, turning out some bizarro shit.

he was a comedian who started doing music as part of his comedy, but it got really popular... there are a couple of tunes i keep in my set for when the crowd needs some comic relief after all that badman ragga :) from what i hear his friends in the "experimental cumbia" community, which he helped build, are making a lot more interesting music than he is.

having listened to the ZZK comp i posted upthread, can heartily vouch for it. the electronic sounds are always in service of the swing, sweet girl singers and some interesting rap... successful example of the "updating" of traditional styles i reckon. didn't delete a single track.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumbia!

I love this stuff. It mashes up a dance too, Rupture and Geko Jones have been playing it at our recent dances and I'm surprised how much it goes off.

I'm hearing it more and more in NYC from the different south/central american ppl about as well.

ifp

Liking the new cumbia stuff, although some of it is ruined a bit by being mashed up with rihana vocals, etc.

http://www.negrophonic.com/ is quite good for snippets and mp3s, although i don't think its that comprehensive.

Juno has Bersa Discos vol 2, although i thought vol 1 was better. They also have a ZZK sampler.

couple of mixes are on the zzk website, and looks like theyre setting up a shop as well. had the zzk 1 mix on my mp3 for ages...

don't know anything about more traditional cumbia, so if anyone has some reccommendations, post them up!